SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:04 PM
Joined Oct 2004
18 Posts
Build Log
Piper Turbo Arrow IV or Malibu Mirage

I am planning on scratch building either a Turbo Arrow IV or a Malibu Mirage (this will be my first scratch build). I would like some advice on which to build though. I have flown both (in real life) and I know that the Arrow is much more stable as well as slower and easier to control. Both aircraft are fairly straight forward as well. I am leaning toward the Arrow though. The other piece of advice I need is in regard to size. I have a O.S. .40 4 stroke engine that I want to use. Based on that what should the maximum wingspan be. The engine does fine on a 76.5" Piper Cub. Any advice anyone could give me would be wonderful!! Thanks!!
Steve
theafricankid is offline Find More Posts by theafricankid
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:13 PM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theafricankid View Post
I am planning on scratch building either a Turbo Arrow IV or a Malibu Mirage (this will be my first scratch build). I would like some advice on which to build though. I have flown both (in real life) and I know that the Arrow is much more stable as well as slower and easier to control. Both aircraft are fairly straight forward as well. I am leaning toward the Arrow though. The other piece of advice I need is in regard to size. I have a O.S. .40 4 stroke engine that I want to use. Based on that what should the maximum wingspan be. The engine does fine on a 76.5" Piper Cub. Any advice anyone could give me would be wonderful!! Thanks!!
Steve
First of all, good luck on your project! Scratch building can be a big challenge and has its associated rewards. You may want to see if anyone has drawn plans for one of these types, it might be an easier path to your ultimate goal. To answer your question, though, it depends on whether you want your airplane to fly scale-like or to have gobs of excess power. Most 40-size moderately high-wing loading low wing monoplanes have a wingspan in the 55-65 inch range, and weigh from 5-7 pounds. I would go from there. Keep us posted on your progress, you don't see a lot of these low wing GA aircraft modeled. I really like my E-flite Beech Bonanza though, especially since I put a glow engine in it. Good luck!
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:19 PM
Joined Oct 2004
18 Posts
I am definitely more interested in scale but I also don't want it to be too under powered (I'd like to have the power available if I need it ). I haven't been able to actually find anyone that's ever built the Arrow IV (that's what I've decided I think) and the wing design is a little more advanced than the older Arrow's "hershey bar" wing. I think the Malibu would be a little fast for my skill level . Thanks for the tips!!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:28 PM
It's Prime Time for Slime Time
Joined May 2004
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theafricankid View Post
I am definitely more interested in scale but I also don't want it to be too under powered (I'd like to have the power available if I need it ). I haven't been able to actually find anyone that's ever built the Arrow IV (that's what I've decided I think) and the wing design is a little more advanced than the older Arrow's "hershey bar" wing. I think the Malibu would be a little fast for my skill level . Thanks for the tips!!
I seem to remember Top Flite having an Arrow III kit for a while. You might find of those on a hobby shop shelf somewhere. Although I'm not sure if it had the tapered planform or the rectangular "wing by Hershey".
b7gwap is offline Find More Posts by b7gwap
Old Mar 13, 2010, 10:25 AM
Joined Oct 2004
18 Posts
Plans?

Does anyone have any guidance on creating some plans from the 3 view drawing.