Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Build Log
DH100 Vampire Depron Pusher

OK - this is my first home grown design, and first post on RC groups, so be nice!

I’ve always been fond of early British jet aircraft, and so for my first serious design I set about planning a Vampire. The prototype flies well, and a second may follow in order to experiment with one or two alterations that might be made

One slightly unusual feature of the design is a “Kline-Fogleman” bottom-Step aerofoil. “KF” aerofoils are much easier to construct from sheet material than more conventional shapes, but provide better lift and controllability than a simple falt depron sheet.

I flew the prototype, which weighed in at 396 grams with a FC2805 1600KV Brushless Outrunner motor from www.giantcod.co.uk fitted with a 6X4 Prop. A 800Mah 2 cell lipo provided the ‘fuel,’ but a 1300mah might make achieving the necessary centre of gravity.

She is painted with slightly diluted silver acrylic paint from Tesco's - and I'm very pleased with the effect!

The prototype flew well over a wide speed rage. There is a slight tendency to pitch up at speed which might indicate the need for a little down thrust. The plane remains stable down to a very slow speed, with no signs of tip stalling. In the stall the plane remained level and controllable, while steadily losing altitude.

Plans before too long. They are a bit messy at the moment and need a tidy over the weekend
GrahamCulver is offline Find More Posts by GrahamCulver
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:09 PM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Vampire plans - if anyone fancies a go!

As promised here are the plans for the vampire. Have fun - and I'd love to see pictures!
  1. There is no position for the motor shown on the plan. If I build another I will probably try and bring the motor forwards a couple of cm. This will help with the CofG and might help to achieve a slightly more scale look. I might experiment with a card shroud around the motor.
  2. I've flown with the CofG about 40mm from the front of the wing. (About level with the carbon spar.) This seemed fine, although I havn't tried fine tuning it.
  3. Make sure the tail plane is well fixed! (Don't ask how I found that out!) Mine is now pinned with some balsa spikes through the boom sides.

Have fun!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:12 PM
North Kent, England UK
Joined Jan 2005
301 Posts
Looks good Graham, did you squeeze the electronics into that narrow fuse or are they hanging out.
JimW is offline Find More Posts by JimW
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:24 PM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
A couple more photos

Here are a couple more photos.

Here is a shot of the motor mount. I had a plastic mount, and used it - though ideally it would be good to cover the side of the fuselage. This picture will give you an idea as to the position of my motor. As I saind in the previous post, bring the motor forwards 1-2cm will help with the CofG, and might make a jet pipe / motor shroud possible.

Here is the other side. My 800mah batterys are an 'interferance fit.' and secured with an elastic band. The battery space is cut though 2 layers of the foam. The bottom of the fuselage is reinforced with duct tape. I had to add 40g of ballast to get the CofG about right, so a larger battery might be a solution. I'm not sure about physical size, but 1300mah would look to be about the right weight.

Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Yes they are "hanging out!" It might be possible to get the right speed controller inside the centre lamination - but heat might be an issue. I dont have a micro receiver, so it is tucked through the fuselage - I'll try and pop a photo up tomorrow.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:04 PM
Wannabe B-26 pilot!
Southwold, Suffolk, UK.
Joined Nov 2002
4,895 Posts
Very nice Graham, and welcome to RCG!

Matt
Matt Halton is offline Find More Posts by Matt Halton
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:49 PM
United Kingdom, Wrexham
Joined Jun 2004
605 Posts
Graham exceptional work. Looked at doing a Vampire for ages, looks like you have produced the perfect candidate. Always been fond of British vintage jets myself also. Makes me wonder where our aviation heritage went to.

So what's next, Venom, DH110, Sea Vixen, Meteor a Javelin maybe?

All the best

Ash
plane_spotter is offline Find More Posts by plane_spotter
Old Mar 12, 2010, 03:59 PM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane_spotter View Post
Graham exceptional work. Looked at doing a Vampire for ages, looks like you have produced the perfect candidate. Always been fond of British vintage jets myself also. Makes me wonder where our aviation heritage went to.

So what's next, Venom, DH110, Sea Vixen, Meteor a Javelin maybe?

All the best

Ash
Well... I have looked at a three view of a Javelin and thought about it! The question is whether that tail might get in the way of the prop arc. The Sea Vixen is an interesting shape so not decided yet! I have to hash a trainer together for my son before I design anything! Thanks for the encouragement though.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 05:03 PM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
524 Posts
Well, here is my go at this one, 6mm EPP, 10 1/2 oz RTF with a 1300 3cell lipo pack. Thanks for the great plans...
Frank Rys is offline Find More Posts by Frank Rys
Old Mar 27, 2010, 06:31 AM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rys View Post
Well, here is my go at this one, 6mm EPP, 10 1/2 oz RTF with a 1300 3cell lipo pack. Thanks for the great plans...
Thanks for the picture - Looks good - quite something to see someone else has made one of your designs. Let me know how she flies - and I'd love to know if the 1300 lipo pack resolves the challenge of getting the CofG in the right place.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 02:54 PM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
524 Posts
The first flight went very well, the battery pack mounts about 2 1/2- 3 mm in front of the wing, thinking of making a slot in the fuse for the battery pack. I took a picture but cannot seem to up load it, sooo thanks for the great plans, I only used EPP because I have a lot of it, normally I would use blu FFF. I will try to get some inflight pic's this week.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 12:50 PM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
524 Posts
here is where the battery is located...
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:03 AM
Joined Aug 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rys View Post
The first flight went very well, the battery pack mounts about 2 1/2- 3 mm in front of the wing, thinking of making a slot in the fuse for the battery pack. I took a picture but cannot seem to up load it, sooo thanks for the great plans, I only used EPP because I have a lot of it, normally I would use blu FFF. I will try to get some inflight pic's this week.
I've put 3 800mah packs through mine this morning on a deserted beach - very nice!. I've noticed that you loose A LOT of elevator authority with low throttle inputs - which is I suppose only to be expected given the configuration!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 05:00 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamCulver View Post
I've noticed that you loose A LOT of elevator authority with low throttle inputs - which is I suppose only to be expected given the configuration!
I notice the same. I suspected that the low power or windmilling prop was actually blanking the elevator. I could be wrong, but i got some really weird handling characteristics with the power low/off. ie: pitch down!!! Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Mar 29, 2010, 06:17 PM
Monson,MA
Joined Mar 2000
524 Posts
I did notice reduced elevator response with power off also, but that's it, didn't have dual rates set up, otherwise a great flier. I want to play around with different props when it stops raining...