HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:29 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
503 Posts
And we thought the fun cub tires were big, I put 6in Dubro air tires on my old trainer converted it to electric and a tail dragger. Took both of them out the desert this weekend for some dirt bike riding and off roading. Put my GoPro on the FC and chased around the dirt bikes and trucks and go some good footage I will get up soon. Gonna look into a smaller set of the Dubros for the FC see how they work.
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Watts cooking; Mar 04, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 03:56 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,169 Posts
The Dubros are just too heavy for the Cub. We went with the
Dave Brown:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB931

1.8oz compared to 6.5oz each. We had to shove the biggest
battery we could get in it all the was to the back to get it
balanced.

They look real good! And they are about half the price.

Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:07 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrundleFlyBy View Post
Just for the record, because of the protective oxide that forms on its surface, most common grades of aluminum are not susceptible to direct corrosion by saltwater. Where saltwater becomes a problem for aluminum is when it acts an electrolyte between the aluminum and a dissimilar metal, against most of which, aluminum will be the less "noble" and act as an anode. But even then, it's only going to corrode at the point of contact (e.g. the edge of a hole with a steel fastener through it).

If aluminum had a problem with saltwater, you wouldn't find so much of it on ocean-going boats!
I used to sell A/C units in South Florida. I had a nuclear engineer explain that the Trane units were made of an alloy used to transport really nasty stuff. Raw aluminum as used in spotlights does not do well exposed to salt water. Most boat aluminum is an alloy and most is anodized. The A/C units did fail as they were aluminum touching copper. Cheap units of raw aluminum failed when the fins dissolved.

BTW the Space Coast is judged to be the most corrosive area on the eastern seaboard. NASA found that out after building KSC here. Wierd things go on beachside.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:36 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
503 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
The Dubros are just too heavy for the Cub. We went with the
Dave Brown:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXB931

1.8oz compared to 6.5oz each. We had to shove the biggest
battery we could get in it all the was to the back to get it
balanced.

They look real good! And they are about half the price.

Those look good just don't want to go smaller than factory my friend and I have the FC and we try out different things and now our fun cubs are almost identical minus the paint scheme.
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:02 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Kimber is that the articulated gear made by the Luddite guys, the cub gear guy, I think? If so how do you like them and was the mounting a big problem? The non-internet or PPal guys? Dave/zeezee Nice FC
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:16 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts cooking View Post
Those look good just don't want to go smaller than factory...
They also make them in 5" and 6" sizes.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB932&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB934&P=7
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: DX7 Programing - Ultimate...
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:21 PM
Ft Lauderdale
Joined Mar 2010
87 Posts
would the eflite apprentice guts/motor servos etc be good in a fun cub?
Capt Buddy is offline Find More Posts by Capt Buddy
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:12 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
Sure can. Thats what i used before my order came in
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:13 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Kimber is that the articulated gear made by the Luddite guys, the cub gear guy, I think? If so how do you like them and was the mounting a big problem? The non-internet or PPal guys? Dave/zeezee Nice FC
It is by cublandinggear.com. The wheels are the same size
as the originals.

If you get the Dave Brown, make sure they are the treaded one, the others are flat, square
cornered. Got a set of those by mistake.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:05 PM
I'm just a 2.5D Pilot
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Dec 2005
827 Posts
I can FINALLY post on this thread as I am now the proud owner of a FUN CUB! Terry over at Small Parts CNC has been very helpful and got me the right alumnium mount for my motor (all mounting screws 19mm apart)

I'm using a Thunderbird 36 esc and got a deal on Spektrum 4000 & 3010 micro servos from my LHS. I'm also going to use a Sullivan tail wheel.

I'm using medium CA on everything and the build is going fine. The only "issue" so far is the Elevator and Rudder push rods. They just need to be half an inch longer or I may turn my servos around.

I can't wait to finish!

Ricky
rickgode is offline Find More Posts by rickgode
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:18 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Thank's, will do, BTW, I'm not THE...but I am Dave Brown think I could get a discount ......ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:07 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
133 Posts
So I got myself another Fun Cub. It came with the aluminum mount out of the box with a 25 mm mounting pattern. My motor of choice used to be the Turnigy 3536/8 1000kV which has a 25mm/19mm pattern that I had to reverse for FC mounting.

Does anybody know of a 3536 with
- 1000 - 1050 kV
- 5mm shaft
- 25mm/25mm pattern
- Is already setup for installation behind the mount (I mean I do not have to reverse the shaft)?

I checked Headsup, HK and Hobbypartz but did not find anything that fits my requirements.

P.s. Yes, I know, I could just reverse the shaft on another Turnigy and get the smallpartscnc mount again, etc. pp. but I figured I'll ask the FC maniacs here for input.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Last edited by dome78; Mar 05, 2013 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Minor typo
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:04 AM
Joined Oct 2012
26 Posts
Hello im a beginer and im bilding my 1 funcub any one out there that are using thise to ther funcub? flaps? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Regulator.html
Do i need em or whill it work fine whitout em? im using a dx6i radio. Do the fun cub jump up when i whit the flaps whit out this?
grand14 is offline Find More Posts by grand14
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:07 AM
Joined Apr 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dome78 View Post
So I got myself another Fun Cub. It came with the aluminum mount out of the box with a 25 mm mounting pattern. My motor of choice used to be the Turnigy 3536/8 1000kV which has a 25mm/19mm pattern that I had to reverse for FC mounting.

Does anybody know of a 3536 with
- 1000 - 1050 kV
- 5mm shaft
- 25mm/25mm pattern
- Is already setup for installation behind the mount (I mean I do not have to reverse the shaft)?
How about this one available as either 920 or 1100kV...
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/epower-b...-p-402456.html
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/epower-b...-p-402456.html

Also branded as E-Max instead of E-Power. If you search for BL2815 you will find them from various suppliers.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:46 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grand14 View Post
Hello im a beginer and im bilding my 1 funcub any one out there that are using thise to ther funcub? flaps? http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Regulator.html
Do i need em or whill it work fine whitout em? im using a dx6i radio. Do the fun cub jump up when i whit the flaps whit out this?
If you want to you can flip the servo in the same hole and bend the wire. Kimber has that posted a couple pages back. Carve a new hole works too. If you want to spend a little extra that worke too.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy