SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:09 AM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,650 Posts
yakav - Nice! But it looks sooooo cold! Never having flown off the snow (I have skis and want to try it sometime) - How does the cold affect your flight times? ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:15 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakav View Post
Flight of the winter afternoon
Ha, looked just like what happened to my plane. Except that it went straight down into the single tree.
But I have skis on mine.

I decided that the cause of the crash was the old tree was a "foam Magnet"
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:21 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Ha, looked just like what happened to my plane. Except that it went straight down into the single tree.
But I have skis on mine.

I decided that the cause of the crash was the old tree was a "foam Magnet"
They attract balsa planes as well . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:45 AM
Russian Federation, St Petersburg
Joined Jul 2012
171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
yakav - Nice! But it looks sooooo cold! Never having flown off the snow (I have skis and want to try it sometime) - How does the cold affect your flight times? ~ Robin
The air intake is closed foam. The battery heats up during the flight. Flight time 90% of the warm weather.
yakav is offline Find More Posts by yakav
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:36 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
since i havent been flying my funcub as much. its still one of my all time favorites ,its droped a few notches on my list of favorites ,so i decided what better way to keep it entertaining for me and for it not to be lost in the back of my closet collecting dust (the bottom of my list of planes)
i made it into a nightflyer

THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:55 PM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,295 Posts
Ahhh Carnival inspired fc! Nice one
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:04 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,650 Posts
THESANDMAN - Bet she's pretty visible at night! I've never tried it, when flying at night do you fly closer in than normal?

Does anyone else remember the planes that used to fly around at night with the light matrix underneath the wings with scrolling messages? Suprised nobody's done that on a model yet!
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:32 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
THESANDMAN - Bet she's pretty visible at night! I've never tried it, when flying at night do you fly closer in than normal?

Does anyone else remember the planes that used to fly around at night with the light matrix underneath the wings with scrolling messages? Suprised nobody's done that on a model yet!
to me the only thing i do different is that i fly the plane slower and dont do any daring like fast loops or dives .
i didnt take a picof the bottom but it has green lights and white so i can tell what side is up or down . .
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I dont like to date myself but i started night flying with one of the first goldberg electrict sailplanes .I used D size batterys and a radio shack toggle switch fliped on and off by a servo ,no esc's back then. We would tape glow sticks on our gliders ,one on the front and one on each wing tip . If i remember the plane was called the Goldberg Electra . There were always 4 or 5 of us so we would throw another glow stick out in the middle of the field and see who could land the closest . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:48 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Fun Cub RR Problem

Hey guys,

First post in this thread..... I ordered a Fun Cub RR recently and my goal was to read this entire thread before subscribing with my first question.

Well I made it to page 372 when the FC showed up at my door. I let it sit in the box for a few days because I am waiting for a turnigy servo reducer/reverser and a few other parts that I read about here in this thread. I still plan to read the entire thread but I already need some advice and I hope my issue has not already been covered.

Today I caved and figured I could at least start putting it together and dry fitting the electronics when I ran into a few glitches in the RR version.

I chose to put a deans connector on the ESC so I began to unplug the ESC from the motor wires so I could solder on the deans connecter. The white wire in the ESC just pulled right off in my hand.

I called multiplex and they offered to send me a new one. While I am waiting for that and since I already had the soldering iron out, I decided to try and repair it. I got it back together but I did not have a large enough heat shrink tube to replace it so I just tucked it all together and sheilded the connections with electrical tape..... Is that OK?

On to the next glitch. got it all put together and hooked up the control arms and they sure didnt leave much extra rod, as the control rod just barely went throught the linkage and barely had enough for the grub screw to bite. After a few runs through the controls the rods slipped out so I put them back in a little tighter this time.

The next issue, and this is the reason for my first post, is I cannot get the elevator to move in the right direction. Pull back on the stick and the elevator goes down (nose down airplane). I tried reversing the servo wire in the RX port but that resulted in no movement at all. Next I tried reversing the direction on the RX but it still moves exactly the same.

A little about my set up. I am trying to use the Spektrum DX5e until I can upgrade my radio. I know this is not the ideal setup but its what I have. I am going to try and set up flaps on the gear channel with 30-40 degree throws mechanically and use the turnigy unit to slow and reverse the flaps. If this does not work I will just fly no flaps in the meantime.

Any feedback you could provide on my elevator problem or my radio setup would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
northriver21 is offline Find More Posts by northriver21
Last edited by northriver21; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:40 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Let me see if I understand your fix. You say you bought a receiver ready Fun Cub. Every RR plane I have ever bought had everything the plane needed to fly installed and ready to fly other than for me to stick my receiver and battery in it, bind it and fly. It took 5 minutes to get it flying. Maybe you had to install the gear and prop but..... Pushrods were installed, all servos were installed. I bought the kit and had to supply my own equipment and had to buy a servo reverser. Are you telling me that this RR Fun Cubs servos needed you to furnish that, and that they didn't have a reversed servo for the flaps? You got screwed if that's the case. The RR Fun Cub is not cheap! Don't mean to be flippy but this doesn't sound right. Dave/zeezee......while I'm at it here's a pic of mine with my new E-Flite J3 Cub wing struts, yep...Cub Yellow! Tonneau cover is also my runway...
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:05 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
The RR comes with the motor and servos installed.

Not much assembly required... Glue Horiz/Vert tail pieces, hook up control rods, join wings, install landing gear& prop, install your own batt & reciever, apply decals, plug it all in balance and go.

You do need your own servo reverser and Y lead depending on how many channels your TX/RX have

My issue is with the elevator servo moving the wrong way in relation to my inputs.... The servo is mounted in what appears to be the right orientation.

It cant be possible the Multiplex wants you to use a servo reverser on the elevator as well as the mirrored flap is there?

I will call them in the am.
Last edited by northriver21; Feb 18, 2013 at 12:15 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:29 AM
Salome, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
110 Posts
You should be able to reverse that channel in the radio transmitter it's self. I have never had a Spektrum radio, your manual should show you how.
Jamesxii is online now Find More Posts by Jamesxii
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:43 AM
Joined Feb 2013
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northriver21 View Post

The next issue, and this is the reason for my first post, is I cannot get the elevator to move in the right direction. Pull back on the stick and the elevator goes down (nose down airplane). I tried reversing the servo wire in the RX port but that resulted in no movement at all. Next I tried reversing the direction on the RX but it still moves exactly the same.
Tried that already. The elevator worked right in the last plane this tx flew (apprentice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesxii View Post
You should be able to reverse that channel in the radio transmitter it's self. I have never had a Spektrum radio, your manual should show you how.
I did have to bind this TX as it is new to me. Any chance my TX or Rx is bad. Could I have a glitch in my bind? Everything else is working right. Just the elevator direction.

This is probably something simple that I'm missing or doing wrong.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:03 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
I was diving after my own bombs with my FC. What a blast landing after diving straight down for 400 ft:

Fun Cub Bomb Dives (3 min 0 sec)
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78