SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:44 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
Hey Cracksmeup
DO yourself a favor....either get a heaverduty Tail wheel pre made...OR use heaver wire and make your own...the wire supplied with the kit is way too lite...after replacing mine IM sooo much happier with ground handleing & I dont have to rebend it after every few landings...I do alot of touch and goes.

Regards
Pat
I counted my tail wheel and bracket colection just the other day and i own 30 of them ranging from giant scale to micro so i will find a new one very fast . I agree it feels weak but i figured i would give it a try. One other thing that i already dont care for and its just me ,is the sound of the foam wheels on pavement. I heard JDM's funcub run across the blacktop where we fly.. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:50 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
That is why I got the big rubber wheels on mine..Still love the foam stock 1's...but my pavement was starting to eat them...SO, I added Light big rubber 1's.

I used a .40 glow sized tail wheel assembly on mine...SO much better ground handling..and NEVER catches a tip on landing anymore...that seems to have been due to the light wire on the tail flexing too much..and wing would tap the pavement. But NO More
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:12 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Crashed

Darn, I crashed my Fun Cub today.
Finally after 2 weeks of snow and bad WX, it was sunny 35º and little wind.
I took it off and flew for about 5-6 minutes, at about 200-300 feet,when it got over
the only tree within 500 feet and nosed down.
Don't know what happened yet, lost signal, bad servo. not sure.
But it went nose first straight down and I didn't have any control to stop it.
It broke into, right behind the Elev and Rudder servos. (again)
I don't mind crashing if I do some dumb thing. But I hate it when it goes and does it on its own.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:25 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
Bummer flybynight2- I had same thing happen to me...but not much damage as was lower..and slow at the time...I had inadvertently put a Spent lipo back in mine on mistake...and LVC stopped motor...but I was Flying super slow and climbing at the time..so it just fell out of the sky. ( 100% my fault)

I was just happy to discover what happened...hope you can also figure out why yours crashed...Also Hope you can fix it.

Pat
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Darn, I crashed my Fun Cub today.
Finally after 2 weeks of snow and bad WX, it was sunny 35º and little wind.
I took it off and flew for about 5-6 minutes, at about 200-300 feet,when it got over
the only tree within 500 feet and nosed down.
Don't know what happened yet, lost signal, bad servo. not sure.
But it went nose first straight down and I didn't have any control to stop it.
It broke into, right behind the Elev and Rudder servos. (again)
I don't mind crashing if I do some dumb thing. But I hate it when it goes and does it on its own.
I hope is was not the easy conectors i spoke of earlyer,it kinda sounds like the MO . Sorry to hear you lost one.

joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:25 PM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidad View Post
Thx Robin, I have a couple of friends who are going to help ease me into this. That plus the sim, plus I got a little Champ to practice with first.
Cool - You'll be fine! I went the same route, sim (lots of it), then a HobbyZone Mini Super Cub (I hear the Champ is a good one also), and then the FunCub. I was on my own with the MSC and it served me well but I got help with the first couple of flights of the FunCub and was fine on my own after that!
I just seem to get into trouble when I -
A.) Get bored and start trying new things without really thinking about it first or
B.) When there's a camera rolling (I think almost every one of my crashes is on video)!

~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:35 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
Hey Robin - who needs a 4x4 anymore....

Got Rocks Super Cub Crossing River (0 min 42 sec)
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:02 PM
What's up with that?
Joined Jul 2011
1,788 Posts
greedyg76 - You're makin' me cry! I actually have that one in my 'Got Rocks' collection. I was thinking about sculpting a rack out of epoxy putty or something to tie to the struts and making a rifle scabbard for the other side!

I've got a green light to order another FunCub and I'm about ready to pull out 'Got Rocks' to make the final assessment of whether or not to rebuild her back or to morph her into something like WalneyCol’s camera ship. We'll see!

I'll just say this about the new FunCub - It's going look right at home sitting next to yours! ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:12 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,014 Posts
I've been flying the Beaver a lot lately, need to get the Cub out of the hanger...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:55 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
My Cub has the EMP 3536/1100 motor with a 11-6 wood prop on it, on a 3S/2200/50C and 45amp ESC and flys great. All from HURC. I have my CG on the groove in the wing for the aileron servo wire, about 75mm's from LE. With this I have all the power I need for anything. Fly's up or down side evenly. Just got my E-flite J-3 25 struts and they finish it up nice, looks right now. I was gonna paint em but the Cub yellow goes good with the red, silver, white and black. Fit like they were made for it and no more wing flex. Strut tips are secured with CA hinge material so they bend and lay flat when you take the wings off, just removing the 2 bottom screws. All I need/want now are the articulated gear from the cub gear man..the Ludditte! I've been flying a Yak 3D on Realflite for a week and it's a blast. Got it hooked to my big screen. I haven't seen the need for a new tail gear setup so far as I'm off the ground in 3' and land her nice and even. Maybe instead of tougher gear you need to learn gentle landing moves. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:14 PM
What's up with that?
Joined Jul 2011
1,788 Posts
Nice zeezee - The struts look good on her! How much are they and what are they made of?

I went with the Sullivan tail wheel assembly not because the stock one was weak (I never installed it) but more because I couldn't stand looking at a tail wheel when I had it on floats! I just put blind nuts in my mounting plate.

greedyg76 - Just checked at the LHS - no word on my back order yet!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: deleted extra word
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
The struts were $11.00 from Hobbyzone and came to $20.00 shipped. They are covered with mono-ultrakote and made of plywood. The tips where the screws go are attached to the the struts with CA hinges so they fit what ever angle you have, much nicer than I expected. They fit the bill just right, for a guess. I went with the approximate size of the plane and wingspan. Looks a little less comical now and is also functional. BTW, a wooden prop has a nice sound! Dave/zeezee
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
I counted my tail wheel and bracket colection just the other day and i own 30 of them ranging from giant scale to micro so i will find a new one very fast . I agree it feels weak but i figured i would give it a try. One other thing that i already dont care for and its just me ,is the sound of the foam wheels on pavement. I heard JDM's funcub run across the blacktop where we fly.. joe
Bah! After you learn how to land it slow, that 3 foot or less roll- out, I tend not to notice anymore.... Give me wind and I come in without flaps and right at touchdown I hit the speed brakes.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:56 AM
Russian Federation, St Petersburg
Joined Jul 2012
172 Posts
Flight of the winter afternoon
FunCub & GoPro (2 min 43 sec)

On the second plane
FunCub & GoPro 2 (5 min 57 sec)
yakav is online now Find More Posts by yakav
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:17 AM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
JDM, your right about your landings, gear is fine and coming in to a headwind FULL flaps deployed on the dirt are like brakes for sure! I have even considered enabling my ESC prop brake. BTW, I had a set of disc brakes on one of my big P-51's that were amazing. Dave/zeezee