SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:20 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Mine flies inverted with almost no down elevator, which is the way I like it. That is without any flaps. I have never tried flaps inverted. Never even thought of it. Might be interesting to try! I don't think I could reach 80mm CG without adding weight to the tail. Pretty happy with about 75.

Gord
Mine has a bit of dihedral and so it wants to wander side to side. I'm not quick enough to prevent it. My flaps have a small amount of down elev mix which keeps down the flaring when flaps are deployed. The flaps seem to balance out the wing rocking.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Mine flies inverted with almost no down elevator, which is the way I like it. That is without any flaps. I have never tried flaps inverted. Never even thought of it. Might be interesting to try! I don't think I could reach 80mm CG without adding weight to the tail. Pretty happy with about 75.

Gord
I have about a half inch to go before it is over the hole at 70 mm. Flush to the hole at 80. It is just about neutral at 80. I fear any farther back!
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:03 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
what size ESC & Prop did you use with the 4s1p?...LOL Not that I want to drop a 4s1p in mine for a test drive
11 x 6 worked good about 48 amps on 4s and 30 - 25 on 3s

I tried a 13 x 4 and it's 30 amps on 3 s and 55 amps on 4s.

I like the thrust of the 13 x 4 but it's hard to not hit the prop tips once in a while. I think I'll end up with a 12 x 5 or 6. And as well as this flies on 3s I will most likely not use 4 s any more....I'll save those for the Peaks Bipe. HAd it out today in 10 mph + winds....most times I would not want to fly, but this was a blast making T & G landings with 1/2 and full flaps. Slows to a crawl. Lots of fun.
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:21 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,456 Posts
Recommended Smallest Prop Diameter For Stock Motor?

I'm using the recommended Himax 3516-0840 Brushless Motor and 13X4 prop on my FC and would like to get more prop clearance. Can anyone comment on what is the smallest diameter/pitch prop that seems to work best with this motor?

Thank you!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:28 PM
Salome, AZ
Joined Jun 2010
110 Posts
I would try a 12x6e
Jamesxii is offline Find More Posts by Jamesxii
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:19 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
How much was shipping and how long to deliver?
I ordered with lots of other parts so I can't comment on cost except that it is very reasonable. What I can say is that their packaging is the best in the industry and they shipped out in a day
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:15 AM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
I kinda strained her through an oak tree (from the top down)!........ I punched it and pushed over to get some altitude but she stalled........
a good reason to have more thrust than weight.
power isn't just for 3d!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:19 AM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalneyCol View Post
Yes the props rotate in opposite directions. The motors were straight off a quad copter so I already had the counter rotating prop. I didn't bother using 2 channels and a rudder mix to make the motors run at different speeds but that might be something else you could try as it gives amazing handling characteristics.

As for drilling the holes... they're parallel with the bottom of the wing and it doesn't appear to matter what speed I'm doing the plane's attitude stays as it is.

Col.
no need for side thrust angles when having counter rotating props and no need for down thrust when the motor thrust line is aligned with the wing
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:17 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
a good reason to have more thrust than weight.
power isn't just for 3d!
Point well taken! In retrospect all the mods (and increase in weight) should have warranted a motor upgrade! You know what they say about hindsight being 20/20. Believe me, I won't need to be taught that one again! ~ Robin

I picked up the Morgan Mill stiffener & firewall mount sets awhile back - I'm considering using it on my next project but adding a full bulkhead at the firewall and using the fiberglass cowl I made for my last FunCub. Other mods will be the cublandinggear.com gear, a sullivan tail wheel, my CF tail braces, a nice paint scheme, and possibly some lighting... (here I go again)!
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Spelling & PS
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:28 PM
United States, AK, Haines
Joined Jan 2013
274 Posts
New FC ready, now I need to learn how to fly it.

Finishing up my new FunCub - went with a high visibility color scheme. Next step is flight sim practice before taking it out.
kalidad is offline Find More Posts by kalidad
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:53 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalidad View Post
Finishing up my new FunCub - went with a high visibility color scheme. Next step is flight sim practice before taking it out.
I like the colors ,iam going blind in my old age so i try to get mine bright too with out going to flouresent yet .lol joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:57 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,711 Posts
kalidad - Look'n good! While I feel RealFlight was a big help in getting me ready for my first flights, the one thing it doesn't do well is prepare you for is trimming out an out of trim ship (not saying yours is)! If at all possible try to find someone with experience to give you a hand for the first flight or two (it may save some heartache and frustration)!
I'm not saying it isn't possible to learn completely by yourself - but the learning curve can be steep and it will be much more enjoyable with a little help to ease the pressure of a planes (and pilots?) first flight!
Hope it goes great! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FunCub DoubleEnder Project
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:11 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Iam almost finished putting mine together but i did have some issues with their kit. I was missing the tailwheel wire and the landing gear plastic plate plus one rear main spar was 3/4 shorter that the other. That being said i e-mailed the US multiplex site and it took almost two full weeks but they did send me every thing i was short. My second issue was with their mini easy connecters for the pushrods ,the nuts that held them on felt like they were loose and not exactly the correct thread. but as they sugested i put a drop of paint on the threads and so far they have not come loose. The wing sat a hair high on the left side as you are looking at it but a little sanding took care of it and my elev is now straighter with the wing. I always put my main wing on first before the final glueing of the elev to get them both lined up right to each other this is not the order their directions say to do. Over all its a great arf for the money and we know how well it flys but i would hope the Germans could kit it with all the parts better and have better nuts and screws to keep it safer while flying. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:24 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,274 Posts
Hey Cracksmeup
DO yourself a favor....either get a heaverduty Tail wheel pre made...OR use heaver wire and make your own...the wire supplied with the kit is way too lite...after replacing mine IM sooo much happier with ground handleing & I dont have to rebend it after every few landings...I do alot of touch and goes.

Regards
Pat
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:36 PM
United States, AK, Haines
Joined Jan 2013
274 Posts
Thx Robin, I have a couple of friends who are going to help ease me into this. That plus the sim, plus I got a little Champ to practice with first.
kalidad is offline Find More Posts by kalidad