HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:32 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Wow this thread has gone for crap.
Its better than anything that you could read in Canada ,WHY? because there are none. lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:57 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,711 Posts
Hi all, Been gone for awhile and just got caught up on reading the thread! Can't seem to resist this plane and I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another FunCub!

WalneyCol - Interesting FunCub you have there! I guess form does follow function (just look at the A-10!) but it appears you've built a wonderful camera platform! I'm looking forward to learning more about your modifications and setup. I was just about to get an EasyStar II or Bixler 2 for this purpose but this might just be an opportunity to salvage what’s left of my original (not so original) FunCub!

SpeedsterDEN - Good to see your FC is still going strong as ever!

~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FunCub DoubleEnder Project
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:26 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Its better than anything that you could read in Canada ,WHY? because there are none. lmao joe
Not quite sure I understand what you are trying to say. Here I sit, in Canada, reading this thread, or any other I choose too read. We have an RCCanada, a whole forum similar to RCGroups, but naturally smaller, in Canada. And I have a Funcub in the other room and have seen numerous other ones at the field. So what exactly are there none of? LYAO at what?

I do agree that to say the group has gone down the tubes is quite an overstatement. I found the Funcub twin to be really interesting, the Funcub (not Funcup ) towing that near four meter monster totally amazing and that flappy winged bug very amusing. So what's wrong? I don't see it.

BTW, I am both an American (for 70 years) and a Canadian, so I am not just jumping up to defend my country. Both the US and Canada are 'my country'. And I faithfully sing both anthems at a hockey game.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:30 PM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
Filming the FunCub from a DJI Phantom
DJI Phantom filming FunCub (2 min 2 sec)
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:07 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Filming the FunCub from a DJI Phantom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiqXbM3Z66s
Some videos would benefit from a musical sound track. Not many though. It sounds like the microphone was inside a beehive. Looks like you were having fun though!

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,456 Posts
Ariticulated Landing Gear Add-On - Worth It?

Has anyone tried the articulated landing gear from: http://www.cublandinggear.com/

If so how do you like it, would you do it again? Does it bring any adverse problems to the FC?

Thanks!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,711 Posts
itsme - I had them on my FunCub and I really liked them! Once you dial them in (I used O-rings) they behaved quite well. I replaced the stock hardware with stainless steel screws and locknuts. It is probably the heaviest gear option out there though - so if your looking at maintaining a low flying weight you may be better off modifing the stock gear. However, my FunCub flying with the stock recommended power package handled the additional gear weight without hesitation! I kinda trashed my poor Cub but the gear survived and they will be on my next FunCub!

If you do a 'search this thread' search at the top of the page for - cublandinggear.com - there are several posts on this gear (including mine) that have additional information (weights, photos, etc.) ~ Robin

PS - If you do go with them - Do try to resist doing excessively long touch and go's just to watch the gear 'work'! The gear handles it no problem but on our crushed rock runway my tires were beginning to show some signs of wear!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Feb 10, 2013 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Wording & additional info
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
Good job insulting a whole country because of a silly comment posted by 1 person. Next time, if you could post it in English, perhaps the rest of use could also "lmao."

rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:47 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I am so glad the thread seems to be back on track. The gear you two are discussing are exactly the gear I have been looking into. Talked to the guy. I wouldn't mind a bit more weight and I know mine will handle it. Though the gear seem strong the foams not. What did you do to mount the gear? They must be very well made as they are hand crafted by Luddites who take great care in hand work and detail. As far as the thread going off course, it happens in all threads, but we need to get back on track quickly as to not ruin the credibility of it's purpose. Reading this thread got me to get myself a Fun Cub. Had it have been all over the place I would have never gotten interested in the plane. There is a place for everything in this forum. Thank's, Dave/zeezee...Tell me more of the HD Luddite gear.....
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:20 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,711 Posts
zeezee - Yes, my got rocks mod (see my blog) had the 'vee' sanded out of the bottom of the fuselage and was sheeted except where the gear mounted which was 1/8' ply. On my next install I'd install a plate on the inside as well and find a way to tie the two together! I've got to run, but if you have more questions I'll be back on this evening!

The gear are definitely made to order (hand made) and are of good quality, but dont expect a miniature set of Robart gear! ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
can't wait to retire..
Australia, ACT, Symonston
Joined Feb 2006
598 Posts
Been a while since I checked in on this thread. Shame there is so much off topic crap.

Had a FunCub for a few years. Good fun on land and water although after last outing I will be making the landing gear and floats a bit more solid.

funcub Camperdown 2013 (6 min 29 sec)

For those who haven't seen this clip....Inspiring...
http://www.vid4fun.com/video_player/index.php?vid=103
hobidude is offline Find More Posts by hobidude
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:14 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
zeezee - Yes, my got rocks mod (see my blog) had the 'vee' sanded out of the bottom of the fuselage and was sheeted except where the gear mounted which was 1/8' ply. On my next install I'd install a plate on the inside as well and find a way to tie the two together! I've got to run, but if you have more questions I'll be back on this evening!

The gear are definitely made to order (hand made) and are of good quality, but dont expect a miniature set of Robart gear! ~ Robin
What size O-rings did you install on your Fun Cub landing gear?
I like that look much better than the stock rubber bands.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,711 Posts
Itc - Early on I had a four springs on it but never flew with it that way. I used a total of six -223 O-rings. I started out with eight but she was a bit 'bouncy"! My FunCub was a bit on the heavy side so you'll have to experiment a bit and find the right combo for your flying weight (I'd rather have too much than not enough in this case). If you picked up 6 ea. of the following sizes I'm sure you'd be covered for just about any weight configuration!
One thing I didn't even start looking into is that these sizes are available in a variety of materials (silicone, Buna N, etc.) but I’d start with hardware store rubber O-rings and go to the more exotic compounds only if I had to! The last thing is that you've now added an inspection item - they will tear on occasion but more likely they will crack & deteriorate so you’ll need to add that to your list of things to check out before take-off!

All three of these are 1 5/8" ID O-rings:
-030 O-ring is 1/16" (.062") thick
-130 O-ring is 3/32" (.093") thick
-223 O-ring is 1/8" (.125") thick

Good Luck! Hope this helps. ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:39 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,656 Posts
Thank you very much.
I believe I can find these sizes at my local Lowes.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:05 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Itc - Early on I had a four springs on it but never flew with it that way. I used a total of six -223 O-rings. I started out with eight but she was a bit 'bouncy"! My FunCub was a bit on the heavy side so you'll have to experiment a bit and find the right combo for your flying weight (I'd rather have too much than not enough in this case). If you picked up 6 ea. of the following sizes I'm sure you'd be covered for just about any weight configuration!
One thing I didn't even start looking into is that these sizes are available in a variety of materials (silicone, Buna N, etc.) but I’d start with hardware store rubber O-rings and go to the more exotic compounds only if I had to! The last thing is that you've now added an inspection item - they will tear on occasion but more likely they will crack & deteriorate so you’ll need to add that to your list of things to check out before take-off!

All three of these are 1 5/8" ID O-rings:
-030 O-ring is 1/16" (.062") thick
-130 O-ring is 3/32" (.093") thick
-223 O-ring is 1/8" (.125") thick

Good Luck! Hope this helps. ~ Robin
try sourcing silicon rubber O rings they last much longer and for a given section diam' size are softer strechier.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod