HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:11 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
What does a rx have to do with a Fun Cub thread? This was a very informative thread. Dave/zeezee
I found it interesting to see a link to a $9, 4G receiver available from NA rather than China (even if it is made there - don't know if it is). Never would have known about if it had not been mentioned here. As long as the thread doesn't get completely highjacked it seems OK to me.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:55 PM
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot View Post
Allow me to compile a few of the recent CG preferences for easy reference:

And mine: about 70mm

OK, so that's 65-70mm, 73mm, 70-75mm, and 70mm.
The median seems to be around 70mm, so where did the original 80mm come from?
The 80mm came from the German engineers and the professional German test pilots that developed this plane.
Quality, professional reviewers like 2bothershobby have also confirmed the factory recommended CG.
I think the discrepancy stems from that this plane is attractive to and mostly flown by novice and intermediate pilots that like the more predictable flying characteristics of a nose heavy plane. But to the more advanced pilots that like to fly more aggressive aerobatics, the factory recommend 80mm is preferred.

really old post but i'm still reading thru everything and this question will come up over and over and over again.
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:10 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,381 Posts
For those of us that dont speak mm i use this . http://curezone.com/conversions.asp Here is a real funcub look alike in a shortest takeoff and landing contest in New Zealand . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Last edited by cracksmeup; Feb 05, 2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:17 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Anyone know a ballpark figure of amps drawn........

Motor 480 1000kv

Prop APC 12x6

Batt 3s 2200mah 40C

38-42a
should be close...
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:05 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro View Post
And speaking of receivers.....how about satellite receivers? Necessary for this plane, not bad to have, must have, don't worry about it? What's everyone's take?

And, inside the fuse, pasted on the outside (ugly imo), extend the antennae only?...
If you are using Spektrum gear you should choose an AR600 or AR6210 at minimum. The AR6115 is not adequate for a plane this size, in my opinion, and is asking for trouble.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
If you are using Spektrum gear you should choose an AR600 or AR6210 at minimum. The AR6115 is not adequate for a plane this size, in my opinion, and is asking for trouble.
I've had an AR6115e over 1200ft according to my eagle tree altimeter. That should be adequate for most Fun Cub flying, I haven't had any range issues.
Jeebs77 is offline Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:40 PM
Gravity sucks
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2011
529 Posts
I'm using Spektrum. Well, a DX6i which I am absolutely content with and the HK orange gear. Haven't a problem yet.

I have a 6ch Orange and satellite Rx already. I guess I really should have asked "what's the best, functional and aesthetic location you guys have found for a satellite Rx in a FunCub?
newTOpro is offline Find More Posts by newTOpro
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:26 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs77 View Post
I've had an AR6115e over 1200ft according to my eagle tree altimeter. That should be adequate for most Fun Cub flying, I haven't had any range issues.
That's great that it's working for you. It's not about range but antenna diversity, shadowing, and reflected signal fading and polarization blind spots. I woildn't use the AR6115 in anything that could carry an AR600 or AR6210.

With the amount of money you can tie up in an aircraft this size it's just not worth it to try and save 10-30 dollars on the Rx. Seems like a false economy to me.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:28 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs77 View Post
Thats what I got in mine...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:17 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hipperson View Post
I'm not sure that slats would change the FC sufficiently to make it worth the effort.
I had the a fore mentioned slats on my FC until a mid air ripped them off. It helped a bit lowering the stall speed and maybe slightly higher AOA. I think it is not worth the trouble but it was fun tinkering with it. I only tried that one design (more pics on my blog) and I am sure there are many ways to improve it.

Weighting in on the RX debate: I had Orange 6ch, 7ch , 9ch and AR6110e on my FC, no satellites. The 9CH produced well publicized brownouts even with 5a UBEC. Everything else was/is rock solid. Do whatever floats your boat sans the 9CH one.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:02 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfisherman View Post
The 80mm came from the German engineers and the professional German test pilots that developed this plane.
Quality, professional reviewers like 2bothershobby have also confirmed the factory recommended CG.
I think the discrepancy stems from that this plane is attractive to and mostly flown by novice and intermediate pilots that like the more predictable flying characteristics of a nose heavy plane. But to the more advanced pilots that like to fly more aggressive aerobatics, the factory recommend 80mm is preferred.

really old post but i'm still reading thru everything and this question will come up over and over and over again.
I fly at 80mm and love it.

Some use WAY larger and heavier motors than designed for resulting in heavy batteries. Unless they add mondo weight to the tail they have the CG for forward. With the CG forward they add weight due to negative lift in the rear provided by the elevator keeping the nose up.

Those that fly with CG forward have a more stable aircraft with a higher stall speed but they can leap off the ground in inches rather than a couple of feet and they have huge vertical.

80 is about as far back as I will go but others have gone 85.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:12 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newTOpro View Post
I'm using Spektrum. Well, a DX6i which I am absolutely content with and the HK orange gear. Haven't a problem yet.

I have a 6ch Orange and satellite Rx already. I guess I really should have asked "what's the best, functional and aesthetic location you guys have found for a satellite Rx in a FunCub?
I also used a receiver and satellite because i had an extra. If I need it for another plane I will probably swap this one out. It happens to be a spectrum, so no comment on the orange.

I put the receiver inside fuse, under the wing, on the side with Velcro. The satellite is stuck on with Velcro to the very back wall inside the fuse. It's above the open hole in the bottom of the fuse.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:28 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,273 Posts
I'm using a 6200 rx also, Don't know, it's just "piece of mind" in the bigger foamies. I mount the main rx under the wing sadle on the side with ant running for and aft.....and the sat is mounted just under the hatch on the back wall (behind the pilots winshield) with the ant running up and down.

Only ever had one problem with a 6100 in a foamy and Horizon said they found nothing wrong with my new DX8 or rx...so they gave me a new rx.

A good rx is cheap insurance and piece of mind plus your protecting others that may be near. IMHO
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:12 AM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I just put on the tail wires to make it look more scale. Hard thing to do with this plane. Here's a pic before a cold flight this afternoon. Finally finished and painted my main struts.
What did you use for struts?
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:04 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2013
11 Posts
Thankyou everyone for all of the useful information!

I used all of this knowledge and was able to build a light funcub that still has rocket ship power without any worry of the vibration issues some have had due to the reinforcements I made. Once again thank you!
907Jeff is offline Find More Posts by 907Jeff