HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:41 PM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
Full flaps are valuable landing on snow too, average roll out on landing around 2 inches!

I'd flown a few FunCubs before buying mine, it's my 14yr old sons trainer, he even gets to fly it on the buddybox occasionally
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:53 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Are you guys using wheels for your snow action or do you run the floats? I've never flown on snow before but I'm planning to mount my floats and give it a go.

In deep snow I feel like the wheels might dig down for a sudden stop, especially on landing.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:57 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,263 Posts
Ive seen lot's of folks use floats for snow They seem to work great!!...I personally cant help ya'..as the only snow I ever see is in the movies....but..It did get cold here once.
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:59 PM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
Are you guys using wheels for your snow action or do you run the floats? I've never flown on snow before but I'm planning to mount my floats and give it a go.

In deep snow I feel like the wheels might dig down for a sudden stop, especially on landing.
I run what I have, I would prefer floats for snow but they cost half the price of the kit and we're lucky if we have snow on the ground for more than a few days a year. Landing on the snow was fine with full flaps as there was around a 10-13mph headwind so the landing was pretty near vertical.
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:00 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,558 Posts
I only run floats on the snow.

Here the snow is pretty dry, meaning that it doesn't pack into snowballs at all. It blows around with a good wind so there's really no surface to hold the plane up. Floats provide a lot more surface area so the plane stays on the surface and doesn't sink.

-Mike
Stone1295 is online now Find More Posts by Stone1295
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:07 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
144 Posts
Flew the wheels off about 2" powder with no problem.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:40 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
I've only used skis on a couple nitro planes. Here I think it depends on the kind of snow as to what works best. Havent used the fun cub floats for water or snow yet. Skis are fun as long as they dont ice up. If you take metal ones out from the warm and put them in the snow they like to ice up. So you learn to let them get cold before using them. Dont know how all the plastic ones are to use, they arent very expensive some places.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:12 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
I could've tried my skis Saturday, but a didn't bring the plane as I need to take it apart to fit in the car. Took all my other Abe's and the runway was snow covered...so no flying...I did put floats on my 55" Cessna a it works quite well on frozen grass
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:37 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,498 Posts
Cub Pix

Nice picture of a restored Army Cub. The owner of fantasy of flight once traded his sisters cub for his Jag XKE
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined May 2011
1,498 Posts
V-1 Buzz Bomb and a sweet Mustang too.
Fantasy of Flight
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:02 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,040 Posts
i've flown my funcub on the snow with wheels. as long as the "powder" layer on top is not more than 4 inches or so, it is do-able. (expect a few flips on landing while you figure it out). what you have to do is bring it in with full flap at a high AoA at about 10-20% throttle, then when you are about 3-4 feet out and 1 foot up you want to give a quick burst of power and full up to bring the nose up, and let it just fall. this way the roll out is less than 8 inches, and it usually won't flip. on harder snow, just float it in as slow as you can and try to grease it onto the ground, without too much flop (too much flop will break through the hard top layer and dig the wheels in to the thick snow, flipping it.)

edit: by "flop" I mean letting it drop onto the runway.
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Last edited by baconflyer; Jan 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: penguins are cool.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:30 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,351 Posts
I have a receiever ready FC. With a Nano-Tech 2200ma 3S battery all the way forward. The best CG measuremnet I can get is 52mm, the manual calls for 70-80mm. What can I do to fix the problem.

Thanks!
itsme2 is online now Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:45 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I have a receiever ready FC. With a Nano-Tech 2200ma 3S battery all the way forward. The best CG measuremnet I can get is 52mm, the manual calls for 70-80mm. What can I do to fix the problem.

Thanks!
Move the battery back about an inch?
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:11 PM
Joined May 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
It will fly nose heavy but likes to be back more. I fly around 80 and love it! I wrap the battery in some sticky stuff (I think you can get someting in an auto parts store that helps phones from sliding) and I have velcro running through the bottom to keep it from sliding around. Works great.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:47 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
Ya like the others said, slide that battery back even if it is close to the opening in the bottom of the plane. I think I would shoot for atleast 70 even if you had to put weight on the tail.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Last edited by Scooter04; Jan 28, 2013 at 07:48 PM. Reason: cant spell