HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz63 View Post
I understand that the FC manual states that the motor mounts are intentionally designed asymmetrical so when the motor bulkhead is screwed to the motor mounts, maximum sidethrust is achieved. (the adjusting screws, when set as recommended, only set downthrust). This sidethrust, I am assuming, is determined by one of the motor mounts being . Did I mess up when I glued the motor mounts to the fuselage halves?

I am just trying to make sure I have this rascal setup with half a chance of trimming it when it gets airborne.
I checked my mounts before gluing them in make sure they were the same...(they were) and there were indentations in the foam to set where the mounts went, so unless your fuse was improperly cast (doubt it) you must have somehow glued it in wrong. I never checked at afterwoods due to the mounts only having one way to sit. Whne trimming I did have to take out right thrust and have almost dead center thrust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I'm not sure on the mount question, mine has thrust to starboard, but my thing is this... When will people here stop saying left or right from behind or from the front of the plane and use correct terminology? It is always, Port or Starboard on a boat or an airplane. You will Never get confused like that. For instance a barge is square on top but has a front. From the top how do you determine front from rear? Bow and stern! We are "pilot's"!..Dave/zeezee ...BTW, we do get it right with nose and tail heavy, not front or back heavy...
Dave....I think your a "Boat Guy" and you are partially right, but I spent 38 years in aviation maintenance and almost never hear Port or Starbord used in a log book. Usually left or right, or nbr 1, 2, 3, engine, tire, etc. They used to even say the "left wing tip light out" never Port. I have heard Port engine, but mostly when I was in the Navy. The most inportant thing is "It's always viewed as sitting in the pilots seat"....

IMHO....
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:41 AM
United States, TN, Kingston Springs
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Thanks for the starboard thrust replies. I did not think my situation was correct. I actually surgically removed the aft motor mount about 5 minutes ago and I will probably remount it with the same offset as the other mount. I should be able to get a useful side angle with the adjusting screws.

I'll go along with fore, aft, port and starboard. I can't go along with bow and stern. Maybe nose and tail.
lugnutz63 is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz63
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:42 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,620 Posts
Like port and starboard the right side of a plane, boat, car, motorcycle, etc. is always the right side and the left side is always the left side no matter where the observer is standing.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:48 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,324 Posts
NEVER heard any manual or person say "I need more Starbord Thrust"
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:53 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Lugnutz63, you should have "right thrust" on your mount when sitting in the cockpit so to speak. Meaning the nose cone will point slightly to the right. Most rc models have right and down thrust to a certain degree depending on the plane

I believe the pockets that you glue the mounting rails into are staggered if I remember. I also thought the right and left rails were identical, meaning you couldnt glue them in wrong, but I cant recall. Just set the screws for the motor mount per instructions and it should be kicked to the right. If not then maybe you got the mounting rails in wrong.

Incedentally as long as I have been in rc, its referred to as "right thrust" not starboard thrust. Its assumed your sitting in the cockpit.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:56 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Man you guys are fast, I cant type a reply before there is 4 answers!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Thanks. Everyone has been a big help. Not sure how I messed it up, but now I know how to fix it! I'll get the motor pointing forward then tweak a little right into it. I'll probably adjust the throws to the 50-60% "trainer" settings since it has been a while since I have flown a big bird with ailerons.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:47 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. Everyone has been a big help. Not sure how I messed it up, but now I know how to fix it! I'll get the motor pointing forward then tweak a little right into it. I'll probably adjust the throws to the 50-60% "trainer" settings since it has been a while since I have flown a big bird with ailerons.
Its well behaved, so you should be fine. Depending on what radio you have just set up some dual rates with different amounts of expo. Rudder has a lot of authority, ailerons not so much due to being a cub. It likes to turn with rudder and ailerons, but will not do anything crazy no matter how you like to turn. Check your cg, check the balance of your prop, and you should have an uneventful flight.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:34 PM
Joined Jan 2013
6 Posts
Thanks scooter. I'm using a DX6i. Still getting used to fumbling through the menus. I did check my CG and I have to shove that battery all the way back to the bulkhead at the airflow outlet. I don't think that is terribly bad as I have read others having to do the same.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:24 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
As long as it balances where you want it, I wouldnt worry about the battery location. Mine is way back as well. I think you'll be surprised how well it flies. It will crawl using the flaps, but if you drop them full travel you do need to keep the power up more than you might think. Experiment up high.

My first flight I figured I would fly around and get use to it's tendencies and not mess with flaps. It flies so well that by the end of the flight I was diving vertically at the runway and throwing full flaps to see how short it would land. Its a pretty fun plane.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:42 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
Maidened my cub today. I love this plane. No trim required after setting everything to neutral. You have to watch taking off with flaps and be ready to put in down elevator.
She doesn't like asphalt but 2"+/- snow is no problem with the big wheels but a longest run to get to takeoff speed. Love this plane!
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:48 PM
Birmingham Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
Maidened my cub today. I love this plane. No trim required after setting everything to neutral. You have to watch taking off with flaps and be ready to put in down elevator.
She doesn't like asphalt but 2"+/- snow is no problem with the big wheels but a longest run to get to takeoff speed. Love this plane!
With down elevator trim mixed with flaps I don't need to touch elevator. Flying off snow yesterday with half flap take off run was about 2 feet!
Steve990 is offline Find More Posts by Steve990
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:54 PM
United States, FL, Leesburg
Joined Aug 2010
161 Posts
Didn't use flaps off the snow, will next time though. Used flaps on the asphalt to get it up quick because of the squirrely landing gear action. Thanks for the heads up on using flaps off the snow and the elevator mix.
Vance1 is offline Find More Posts by Vance1
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:03 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vance1 View Post
Cool, havent taken mine out in the snow yet.

If your radio will do it, program some down elevator with flaps so it doesn't change attitude when you throw the flaps down.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:40 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
Quote:
The other are correct....the PLASTIC engine mout Rails..are the same...the built in right thrust was molded into the fueslage halves...so it forces 1 of the side rails a bit further forward...creating the rt. thrust....you could not do it wrong.if you fit the side rails into there positions correctly.

also, with the four adjustable mount screws on the OUTERMOST corners of the mount....you can add up/down/left..or right thrust all you like..so dont hack the plane apart

Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89