HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:03 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post

And after looking at it again, I realize there may be times when you increase differentail because the UP aileron is creating too much drag.
So how can you be sure the rudder is not causing this?...Never have figured out...when trimming a new plane...and it wants to turn left..I ADJUST more right aileron..until straight and level....BUT why would I not add RIGHT rudder instead?

now when doing a loop... its all messed up..... trim is easy Until areobatics are introduced.
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:01 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
So how can you be sure the rudder is not causing this?...Never have figured out...when trimming a new plane...and it wants to turn left..I ADJUST more right aileron..until straight and level....BUT why would I not add RIGHT rudder instead?

now when doing a loop... its all messed up..... trim is easy Until areobatics are introduced.
I always start out with the control surfaces perfectly neutral before trimming. Before adjusting your aileron, you need to try doing loops straight into the wind adjusting the rudder until your loops are straight going up and coming out of the loop. Afterwards adjust the aileron. Planes like these with the big high wing typically need some rudder in the turn to help coordinate the turn. I start with 15% aileron to rudder mix working my way up or down until I am satisfied with the way the plane goes around the corners in varying wind conditions. Sorry if this has been covered before, I know this is a big thread.
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jan 22, 2013, 06:47 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I use a y-cable and no differential. Everything manual....need that skill...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:31 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,684 Posts
Hey guys, I ripped the gear off my Fun Cub and ripped the white mounting plate in half. I couldn't find any sign of replacement parts for the landing gear on the HH website.

Any suggestions?

IT's a clean break from the foam, the rest of the plane is in prefect condition
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:42 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Hey guys, I ripped the gear off my Fun Cub and ripped the white mounting plate in half. I couldn't find any sign of replacement parts for the landing gear on the HH website.

Any suggestions?

If you want to go back to factory it's really hard to find that part in stock anywhere. You could glue in a small square of 1/8 plywood and use landing gear straps to hold it down, peice of plastic screws down on either side of landing wire to hold it in place.
Watts cooking is online now Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:47 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watts cooking View Post
If you want to go back to factory it's really hard to find that part in stock anywhere. You could glue in a small square of 1/8 plywood and use landing gear straps to hold it down, peice of plastic screws down on either side of landing wire to hold it in place.
So you are saying they sell that piece? IWOuld you happen to have a part number?

I love the stock setup, I flew it for about a year with no problems. But I hit a big rock, flying too low and knocked it right off.

UPDATE: I found the undercarriage set. Tower has it in stock.

Thanks
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Last edited by johnnyrocco123; Jan 22, 2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:55 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys, I ripped the gear off my Fun Cub and ripped the white mounting plate in half.
Any suggestions?

If you think the Plate will go back On ( puzzle like) Use White Gorilla glue...and keep it firmly inplace while drying ( you do not need to add any water either...Just use the glue very sparingly..as It foams as it dries.) And after about 3 hours or so..you can cut/scrape/pick..the foamed up parts off pretty easy..a day later..not so easy.

Or if the plastic is beyond re-use...Do Like watt said...embed some 1/8 ply...into the belly about the same size as the plastic peice was....but not triangular...try more rectangle....and then use Old fashioned gear mounting straps....oblong teflon/plastic/metal strips with a scre hole on either end..and it stradles the wire gear.

Fairly simple fix either way...and should not cause you futer issues

Pat
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
Quote:
So you are saying they sell that piece? IWOuld you happen to have a part number?

I love the stock setup, I flew it for about a year with no problems. But I hit a big rock, flying too low and knocked it right off.

UPDATE: I found the undercarriage set. Tower has it in stock.

Thanks
Glad you found it in stock they are hard to find.
Watts cooking is online now Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Watts cooking; Jan 22, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:21 PM
happy landings
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,423 Posts
Anybody happen to have the "wing spreader" (plastic female part that secures wing to fuse) for sale? I stripped the threads on mine and hate to spend $25 for the small parts bag just for a couple of plastic parts! Thx!
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:27 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Anybody happen to have the "wing spreader" (plastic female part that secures wing to fuse) for sale? I stripped the threads on mine and hate to spend $25 for the small parts bag just for a couple of plastic parts! Thx!
You could try filling hole with epoxy and thread in screw coated with some grease or oil . Work it when curing starts and you might get lucky. Can't remember what i did this on in the past but it worked.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:52 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
1st one for me also, which caused a need in me to learn what it was and why. O.K., how do you tell if your plane needs it? My P-51 for instance, it does have some dihedral...Dave
http://www.pongo-air.com/flightguide.html print out the trim guide and go through the steps.

Quote:

Most ail a/c adjusting the ail will adjust wings level, and if there is no built in elev it should track straight. using rudder will throw it off when going verticle. Of course on a 3 channel R/E only....you have no choice but adj the rudder. ideally all surfaces should be neautral and plane should fly upside down with little to no fwd stick needed, although most of fly a little on the nose heavy side for better control. What kills us is when there is a warp built in like a wing or tail....or the mfgr does a crummy job of setting up the incidence of the wing and/or stab....then no matter what you do your chasing gremlins. Motor thrust also has a lot to do with how it flys. This is the FIRST time I have ever had a motor mount I could easily change thrust angles. On my first outing I needed a lot more down thrust and a lot less right. Will still have to play with it on a windless day.

It's nice when a mfgr engineers the kit correctly and it flies nicely outof the box.

Rudder should be always in the center/neutral position....then go thru the trim guide http://www.pongo-air.com/flightguide.html and follow guidelines
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:56 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
You could try filling hole with epoxy and thread in screw coated with some grease or oil . Work it when curing starts and you might get lucky. Can't remember what i did this on in the past but it worked.
Quote:
If your talking about the part the nylon screw goes in to....get a "blind nut" of the correct size and glue to the bottom of the existing plastic, or get one with a new nylon screw that has the same threads and do the above.
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:43 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
1st one for me also, which caused a need in me to learn what it was and why. O.K., how do you tell if your plane needs it? My P-51 for instance, it does have some dihedral...Dave
That "adverse yaw" as it's called will always apply, equal aileron travel will cause yaw in the wrong direction. Whether it's a problem depends on other factors, for example long wings like a sailplane alway need some rudder to overcome it. as does the Rans S6 microlight for example even though it has about 2:1 differential.

The interaction with dihedral is subtle. Dihedral causes a yaw-to-roll coupling, which is how rudder elevator models steer. So let's say you apply Right Roll via ailerons, this causes Left Yaw, and the left yaw then induces Left Roll - directly opposing the aileron control.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Jan 23, 2013, 05:27 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,577 Posts
Quote:

Left turn can be caused by the motor and prop too. Most models have a little down and right angle to compensate. If my ailerons are true, I initially use rudder trim. Never tried the loop but I will. As you slow and add power for a climb you should add a littler right rudder as you would use the rudder pedal if you were inside.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jan 23, 2013, 09:05 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
I got a piece of thick plastic and ran a tap for threads, (Ace Hardware had one)
Then cut it and glued it in below the old one. I even thought of using wood.
And as was mentioned, getting a nut and securing it is a good idea.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2