HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:19 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I like the way you explained the way you setup your flap servo at Mid. for center. Seems like that will solve all problems and allow for max travel. Thank's, zeezee
Thanks....every once in a while I make it easy....hopefully.

I just got back from my second day flying the cub.....8-10 mph winds.....was fun landing in the grass with full flaps and almost coming down verticle. this plane handles wind real well compared to others I fly. I have been running a Dynam 13 x 6 cut down to 12.... but I think I need to try the 11 x 6 or maybe a 12 x 4. I really lilke the 4s but want to fly with 3 s also.....so need to get a smaller prop to help.

Flaps work great at settings I have above. Also the airleron diferential they recommend works nice also.....really axial rolls with no tail drift. I have to say Multiplex has done their homework in the flight stats on this plane.

What a difference landing on grass.....no bounce just nice landings. For those of you flying off grass....you have a winner in this plane. I have some big foam wheels coming to tame down the asphalt landings......as they say "it wasn't MY fault, it was the Asphalt" !!
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:30 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
Where are you in TN? I find that flap settings are never the same from airplane to airplane in my radio. Make sure your flaps are ALL the way up,, no binding, then go midway and add till you get some down flap then go full and add more.

Right now my settings show
Norm 97% Elev 0%
Mid 0% 14%
land -80% 23%

think of it as Mid is really the center of the servo so it's at 0...then you go either way to either up/norm or land. It took 97% to get my flaps to be full up...that may change on yours depending on how tight you adjusted your flap rod to begin with.
I'm in the Maryville area. Thanks for the info!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:58 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Glad to know the aileron differential setup works well. This will be my 1st plane flying like that. After hearing a lot about it when I got the F Cub I understood why it is important. As far as flaps go if your plane is setup right as is (was) my big P-51, full drop flap deployment didn't cause any flight disturbances. Same with my H9 Pawnee. I do think that having all my planes flaps go down slowly does the trick. I have all my planes built now and ready to fly but until I can get someone to go out with me to my front 40 to fly, I'm grounded. I have a damaged fuel pump and air intake. I hate that damned camel , he lied!! I like building and tinkering though so all's well. ...Dave/zeezee....would differential help, work with my P-51 or all, any plane?
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:51 PM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
471 Posts
OK, I'm new to the fun cub scene. Mine has been delivered but I'm still waiting on the electronics. What is the differential needed for in the fun cub? does the tail drag during banked turns?
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:27 PM
Egistered Ruser
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2002
500 Posts
I’m thinking of ordering this plane, but before I do I’m trying to see if some parts I already have will work. I know it would be WAY overpowered but would the AXI 2826/12 be in the realm of possibility? Its 6.4oz… has the same diameter as the 2814/10 and is about 10g heaver than the Tacon 15… Any thoughts?
MayDay is offline Find More Posts by MayDay
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:37 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I’m thinking of ordering this plane, but before I do I’m trying to see if some parts I already have will work. I know it would be WAY overpowered but would the AXI 2826/12 be in the realm of possibility? Its 6.4oz… has the same diameter as the 2814/10 and is about 10g heaver than the Tacon 15… Any thoughts?
The motor I'm using is 6.8 oz and It works great no need for any added tail weight or anything. I would go ahead and use the motor you have.
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:54 PM
Egistered Ruser
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2002
500 Posts
Thanks Cooking! Feel much better about placing my order.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:02 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclemonkey View Post
OK, I'm new to the fun cub scene. Mine has been delivered but I'm still waiting on the electronics. What is the differential needed for in the fun cub? does the tail drag during banked turns?
The aileron going down causes more drag than the one going up and can actually cause the a/c to vear in the opposite direction. When flying directly away from you do a roll if the tail looks more like a barrel roll diferential will help.. Limit travel on the down aileron and re-check until rolls are more axial. Not all a/c need differential.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:21 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
513 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Cooking! Feel much better about placing my order.
No problem, and don't worry about a little extra weight the fun cub handles it well and the extra power is nice when towing gliders, aerobatics and any other things you want to do and it helps when the wind picks up. Welcome to the fun cub family you're gonna love this plane.
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:27 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,273 Posts
Quote:
You will be Just fine..and GLAD you have reserve Power.....my motor weighs 4.9oz...and I still slide my 2800 & 3000 mAh lipos forward a bit. So you MIght be just fine. < hmm + 1.5 oz should work just fine ) get your CG at the front Spar.

If you can keep the prop Under 13"...you will be happier..as 13" Flys great..But sometimes gets bumped On landing..& There goes about 1/2 inch of prop. 12x? & 11.5x? work very well with the landing gear..and only BAD landings will touch the prop.

Enjoy & Axi Motors are Very nice ( I have a bunch of them) But quite expensive..So Enjoy...you will love this Plane once you trim it out...DO TAILWHEEL upgrade if your still building tho'...Stll kick myself for NOT doing that 1.

Pat
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
Egistered Ruser
Charlotte, NC
Joined May 2002
500 Posts
Pat,
Thanks for the input on the motor... Definitely going with the tail wheel mod as well as mods to the main gear. Lots of good info here!!!
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:53 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,084 Posts
almost done rebuilding my funcub, this time with the same 35-36 motor and 60 amp esc as before, but now with hxt900 servos all round, except for an hs85mg on the rudder. also using 2 2200mah 3s batteries instead of 1, and here's the part i'm excited about: fpv! i'm using a 250mw 5.8ghz fpv system and fatsharks, with homemade cloverleaf antennas. gonna do some fpv stol stuff... maybe find a scale river with a scale gravel bar to land on?
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:53 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
The aileron going down causes more drag than the one going up and can actually cause the a/c to vear in the opposite direction. When flying directly away from you do a roll if the tail looks more like a barrel roll diferential will help.. Limit travel on the down aileron and re-check until rolls are more axial. Not all a/c need differential.
When the aileron goes down it creates more lift on that wing half. Lift causes drag. When the aileron rises it "spoils" lift reducing drag.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:41 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
When the aileron goes down it creates more lift on that wing half. Lift causes drag. When the aileron rises it "spoils" lift reducing drag.
I would odinarily agree with you, but we are talking about why we need differential. As you say the aileron going down creates more lift acting like a "Flap", forcing the wing UP, the one going down acts like "Spoiler" and reduces lift forcing that wing down. So if we want to make a Right Turn, Right Ail UP, Left Ail DOWN and we feed in some Elevator and make a nice Smooth right Turn.

Now on some ships the aileron that goes down not only creates lift but also creates more DRAG actually making the nose of the airplane veer to the LEFT when we are trying to make a right durn......like a two engine airplane with one engine out.

So to fix this we limit the DOWN ail travel and it creates less drag, the one going up still forces that wing down and we make our turn. As I said before, not all airplanes need differential, this is actually the first one I have ever seen that has it in the set up specs

http://www.pongo-air.com/flightguide.html try this ling it gives you all the info you ever wanted to know about flight trimming

And after looking at it again, I realize there may be times when you increase differentail because the UP aileron is creating too much drag.
Last edited by mjdee14; Jan 22, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: addition
Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:50 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
1st one for me also, which caused a need in me to learn what it was and why. O.K., how do you tell if your plane needs it? My P-51 for instance, it does have some dihedral...Dave
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee