HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:01 PM
Australia, VIC, Mount Evelyn
Joined May 2012
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
If you want to save a bit buy one of these.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
I have this motor in mine and love it.
Thanks for the suggestion. It is the same weight as the recommended himax 3516 motor.

Does anyone know the kv rating of the himax?

I am still trying to get an understanding of what changing the kv does in regards to prop size and performance.

Dan.
Dan137 is offline Find More Posts by Dan137
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:35 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan137 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. It is the same weight as the recommended himax 3516 motor.

I am still trying to get an understanding of what changing the kv does in regards to prop size and performance.

Dan.
Do an internet search for Himax 3516. One of the sites that come up will be Himax, some will be retailers that may or may not list the info.

On the Himax site they have a very nice (printable) page or two for each motor family that gives the specs (including kv) and recommended props based on battery voltage given in graphical format which makes selection a breeze.

Higher kv spins faster for a given battery volt input but TENDS to provide less torque (often watts). Less pitch produces same pitch speed vs. a lower kv motor and provides better acceleration with that lower pitch. Or...

The Himax charts are really very nice as they did all the measurement for you.
NOISY MUSE is online now Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:28 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
A modeler needs to really pay attention to the manufactures power system and weight. Once a modeler goes outside those recommendations it can cause all kinds of problems if not well thought out with proper reinforcing done. Flight characteristics can change drastically as well but who is to blame?
I totally agree.
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:21 AM
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
Quote:
No I didn't read all the specs as they don't make much sense to me. I dont have the best understanding of these electrial terms, and it did not take long to get an answer here. Thanks for the replies, they are just what I was after, peoples honest opinions.

Now I am looking at my Parkzone Extra 300 and wondering how the eflite 480 motor would go. It flies the Extra with plenty of vertical on an 11x7 and 2200 3s.
Otherwise I might try the Turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html Any thoughts are once again appreciated.

or maybe this motor;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Dan.

if your extra 300 is stock, then it has a parkzone motor. the eflite 480 motors are of much higher quality. sure, it is all horizon hobby but, it is like comparing a cadillac to a chevy. it's all gm but, the caddy has more bells and whistles
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:22 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:

Dan.
As stated above, the KV rating tells you how many RPMs the motor will spin for each Volt you supply....so using a 1000 kv motor on a 2s lipo (7.4v) the motor should spin at 7,200 rpms (theoretically) 3s lipo (11.6v) 11,600....for the same motor. NOW enters the prop too much of a pitch or too large a diameter and the motor can't make it's intended rpm.....but the battery keeps trying to pump amps into it , the motor windings heat up and eventually will melt the insulation and short the motor. Generally a higher kv means a small dia prop. But not always, because a small 28mm dia motor 1000 kv motor can't spin as big a prop as a 35 mm motor of the same kv. My P51 has a 550 kv mtr and spins a 14 x 8 prop. try that on a smaller motor and it will be fried. I wish there was an easy formular but the motor has to be balanced to the prop, the ESC and the lipo. A 2000 mah 20c lipo can only put out 40 amps, if your motor/prop are trying to get 50 amps, the battery heats up and fries, if you had a 30c bat, it could provide 60 amps and you would be OK. Also if you had a 40a ESC and you draw 50 apms, the ESC burns out.

There is a lot of "VoDoo" involved......so when someone has already put together a good power system and given you the numbers, unless your a real techy., go with a proven system. if your motor can run a 12 x 4 you can drop down to a n 11 x 6 and usually pull the same amps. With props "Bigger " is not always better. Horrizon and parkzone do a great job of sizing everything to work together.

"Sorry" if I confused you and the "Long" rant....I'm trying to tire myself out so I can go to bed !!
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Last edited by mjdee14; Jan 21, 2013 at 12:25 AM. Reason: addition
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE View Post
Teach a man to fish then.

Look at the specs.

As far as voltage, if it says 11.1 it's good for 3-cells. If it says 14.8 or higher it's good for four cells.

Check the wattage (volts times amps if watts aren't listed). If it can SUSTAIN (not "burst") more than 150 watts per pound of all-up aircraft weight it will be a lively aerobat. Within reason more will make it livelier yet.

Keep in mind that EVERY problem ever ascribed to the Fun Cub is 100% caused by adding too much power and/or too much weight. Powered and built as-recommended by Multiplex, etc, there are ZERO problems with this aircraft. Unfortunately the tendency in this hobby is to overpower everything and wonder why the hell it flies like crap and stuff doesn't hold up. Even the much-maligned landing gear works PERFECTLY when not carrying excess avoirdupois coupled with pilots who actually spend time learning to land properly. Properly is NOT "stalling out a foot or two off the deck and bounce off the gear", though you'd think it was to watch folks flying these. Yet everyone moans and groans like it's the airframe that's got something wrong with it when they haven't paid any attention at all to the recommendations by the manufacturer. This isn't limited to the Fun Cub or Multiplex by any means...

And OMG don't get sucked into a motor that you end up needing to ballast the REAR of the plane to counterbalance... Sometimes I'm afraid my head will explode.

it is common knowledge and WELL DOCUMENTED that when you use the STOCK RECOMMENDED SET UP by the MANUFACTURER, you will need to ADD 1/2 OZ OF BALLAST to the tail to ACHIEVE THE FACTORY RECOMMENDED CG of 80mm.
most people just fly a nose heavy funcub (they are missing out on the joys of a flying a tail heavy or neutral aircraft )

just pointing out a fact but, i do agree with everything else you state
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:33 AM
Joined May 2012
157 Posts
Did you bother reading the specs on the link you provided?

Teach a man to fish then.

Look at the specs.

Quote:
Do an internet search for Himax 3516. One of the sites that come up will be Himax, some will be retailers that may or may not list the info.

On the Himax site they have a very nice (printable) page or two for each motor family that gives the specs (including kv) and recommended props based on battery voltage given in graphical format which makes selection a breeze.
I have done over 10 searches for this info, but could not find the kv rating of this motor anywhere, which once again led me to ask here. I still do not know what the rating is, but know that there is a turnigy motor that has worked well for others and looks like a great option. Thanks gewiens.

I thought there was nothing wrong with asking a question about this topic as you are better off asking than not knowing and making stupid mistakes.

Thanks zeezee for letting me know where you sourced your parts. I am in Australia, so I may not use them.

I am more than happy to read your opinions, but take offense at the notion I am being talked down to and should not have asked in the first place.

I apologise if this has been taken the wrong way, but feel like I had to say something. Your explanations on the watts and KV ratings are appreciated, even though I have never used pounds as a unit of measurement.

Dan.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined May 2012
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
As stated above, the KV rating tells you how many RPMs the motor will spin for each Volt you supply....so using a 1000 kv motor on a 2s lipo (7.4v) the motor should spin at 7,200 rpms (theoretically) 3s lipo (11.6v) 11,600....for the same motor. NOW enters the prop too much of a pitch or too large a diameter and the motor can't make it's intended rpm.....but the battery keeps trying to pump amps into it , the motor windings heat up and eventually will melt the insulation and short the motor. Generally a higher kv means a small dia prop. But not always, because a small 28mm dia motor 1000 kv motor can't spin as big a prop as a 35 mm motor of the same kv. My P51 has a 550 kv mtr and spins a 14 x 8 prop. try that on a smaller motor and it will be fried. I wish there was an easy formular but the motor has to be balanced to the prop, the ESC and the lipo. A 2000 mah 20c lipo can only put out 40 amps, if your motor/prop are trying to get 50 amps, the battery heats up and fries, if you had a 30c bat, it could provide 60 amps and you would be OK. Also if you had a 40a ESC and you draw 50 apms, the ESC burns out.

There is a lot of "VoDoo" involved......so when someone has already put together a good power system and given you the numbers, unless your a real techy., go with a proven system. if your motor can run a 12 x 4 you can drop down to a n 11 x 6 and usually pull the same amps. With props "Bigger " is not always better. Horrizon and parkzone do a great job of sizing everything to work together.

"Sorry" if I confused you and the "Long" rant....I'm trying to tire myself out so I can go to bed !!

Thank you,
It is starting to make sense now.
I have printed out the tables from that French site to see what motor combos they had and will give myself a headache finding the best one.
I seem to remember 1000kv being talked about a few times as i have randomly ready through these 950 pages of info. I like the forums that put the really important info on the first page for easy reference, and realise that this plane can have a lot of combos that work that makes that difficult.

I will do some research on the eflite 480 as well, when I have a chance.

Dan.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:10 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,215 Posts
Quote:
Thank you,
I have printed out the tables from that French site to see what motor combos they had and will give myself a headache finding the best one.
I seem to remember 1000kv being talked about a few times as i have randomly ready through these 950 pages of info. I like the forums that put the really important info on the first page for easy reference, and realise that this plane can have a lot of combos that work that makes that difficult.

Dan.
Just to add fuel to the fire
My fc setup
3639 1100kv red motor on 3s turning 12x6 vox 40amp sentry

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_1100kv.html

Well balanced and efficient prop a must, esp when overpowered, good luck
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:58 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
Quote:

Dan.
The himax HC3516-0840 ( the motor THEY recomended...)

the KV=840...high torque motor to swing the 13x4 prop.

I did use thios motor..and it works just fine.....BUT Too $$$

I still have it..and is a Very nice motor..but I wanted just a little more Gitty-up-n-go..

So I got the $18.00 Tacon BIGFOOT .10 I did also have to get a different metal motor mount ( from HURC)..so the holes would line up.
I Also got ( because I wanted too) a 60A Esc from (HURC)..If I really want a rocket I could use a 4s1p lipo..but I love the 3s1p preformance All I could ask for out of any plane

MUCH more Bang for the buck with the bigfoot...runs and sounds great...will see how long the thing hold up...and Now my cub has as little Or as Much power as I want...I Love the slightly larger motor.. And I can swing a slightly smaller prop 11.5x4...no more prop strikes.

.Some prefer slower/lighter...but I prefer Good/Good

Pat
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:45 AM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
316 Posts
Quote:
I have done over 10 searches for this info, but could not find the kv rating of this motor anywhere, which once again led me to ask here. I still do not know what the rating is, but know that there is a turnigy motor that has worked well for others and looks like a great option. Thanks gewiens.

I thought there was nothing wrong with asking a question about this topic as you are better off asking than not knowing and making stupid mistakes.

Thanks zeezee for letting me know where you sourced your parts. I am in Australia, so I may not use them.

I am more than happy to read your opinions, but take offense at the notion I am being talked down to and should not have asked in the first place.

I apologise if this has been taken the wrong way, but feel like I had to say something. Your explanations on the watts and KV ratings are appreciated, even though I have never used pounds as a unit of measurement.

Dan.
Dude,

Really? Ten searches with nothing to show for it?

I just typed "himax 3516" into the search bar, the top item on the list of hits is a vendor Radical RC. Hitting the link gives all the data for pretty much all the Himax motors. The 3516 is about half way down (a fair bit of scrolling), all the info you could ever want about the motor (all taken directly from Himax themselves) including voltage, amps, kv, and recommended prop sizes AND specs with each of those props.

Here's the link to the page...wouldn't want you to make it 11 fruitless searches

http://www.radicalrc.com/category/Himax-Outrunners-114

Yeah I'm a bit (well...to be honest...a lot) sarcastic, but some folks need a little self-sufficiency. Like, say, internet searches. If you don't understand the facts and figures about amp draw, kv, and prop size you (and I mean a general "you", not just you) really have no business mucking around with anything but EXACTLY what the manufacturer recommends. Folks who insist on going down this path are the folks we see back here the next week going on and on about this pos motor, or this pos controller, this pos battery, stupid plane flies like crap, on and on ad infinitum.

If you can find (and read/understand) the data behind that system you can make an educated decision about an alternative system that may cost less, be more readily available in your locale, or serve a particular need a bit better.

Sorry to have pee'd in your Wheaties. You will enjoy the plane. Do yourself a favor and install EXACTLY what is recommended and you'll have more fun than you can possibly imagine.

##edit## Went to second page of the search and found (as I knew I would) the maxx products (manufacturer) page. Clicking on the "more info" link on their product page brought up the data sheet that comes with the motors that has the amps-volts-prop chart on the second page.

http://www.maxxprod.com/pdf/HC3516-0840.pdf

Yup...one search and MAYBE a half of a minute actually looking at the list that search output to my screen.
NOISY MUSE is online now Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Last edited by NOISY MUSE; Jan 21, 2013 at 05:06 AM.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:41 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,404 Posts
Flaps degree settings?

My DX8 transmitter allows for two different flaps settings, can anyone comment on which settings seem to work best with the FC, landing and otherwise?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:47 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Thank you,

Dan.
Use the thread tools on the top of the page and open "attachments" bottom of first page shows a "Setups" chart....has a lot of info on motor/prop combos. Ive attached it...but learn to use the tools available and you can get a LOT of info really quick...the "attachment" tool is the greatest....you can look at all pictures and attachments for 950 pages in just 9 pages....
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:59 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
My DX8 transmitter allows for two different flaps settings, can anyone comment on which settings seem to work best with the FC, landing and otherwise?

Thank you!
Where are you in TN? I find that flap settings are never the same from airplane to airplane in my radio. Make sure your flaps are ALL the way up,, no binding, then go midway and add till you get some down flap then go full and add more.

Right now my settings show
Norm 97% Elev 0%
Mid 0% 14%
land -80% 23%

think of it as Mid is really the center of the servo so it's at 0...then you go either way to either up/norm or land. It took 97% to get my flaps to be full up...that may change on yours depending on how tight you adjusted your flap rod to begin with.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:24 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I like the way you explained the way you setup your flap servo at Mid. for center. Seems like that will solve all problems and allow for max travel. Thank's, zeezee BTW, my motor is HURC recommended and CG is on the money with no added weight. I am running a 3536-1100 motor w/1050kv, 450watts and 105grs. I have a 45amp ESC w/10ampBEC (are you in good hands?) and can use a 3S/2200-3300/35C lipo and have a 11x6 wood prop on. Perfection and recommended by those with more experience than myself. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee