Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
I use ( on my Dx8) Flap speed - 1.8s
FLAP Elev
Normal - 0% 0%
Mid - 45% 6%
Land - 115% 20%

I Also have flaps that extend to aprox. 90 Degrees

I Do NOT fly 3D...but I like max deflection...I dont have to use anymore than I want....BUT have it if I do want it.

This setup flys like a pussycat...when i drop full flaps..the nose stays right where it was....I migh add that i did end up adding more downthrust on the motor than the ( 3mm I think directions called for) i eneded up with closer to 5mm downthrust on the screws...I did not change any right thrust.( but recomend you fix this also, or the nose will always porpoise with throttle OR flaps)

I have a bigfoot .10 motor 11.5X4 prop...and when I punch it..the nose does NOT raise up at all...VERY level flight...and with the larger motor now...this plane is quite areobatic...before the rolls would just barely do a 360...but now they are nice and smooth.

This is just my setup...and I must admit I LOVE this plane now that it is set up like this...BUT there are MANY other setups..each have there own plus & Minuses ( Hmmm..... only I cant think of ANY Minuses on mine )

Pat
Thanks!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2013, 05:04 AM
Australia, VIC, Mount Evelyn
Joined May 2012
158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOISY MUSE View Post
Did you bother reading the specs on the link you provided?

4s is strictly out...the motor is rated 11.1v. Your three cell packs will have a home here.

Motor is rated 30amp continuous, 50amp for FIVE SECOND BURSTS. So it would do vertical periodically, but that ability would need to be used judiciously. At "regular max" it would be a lively flyer, but not an extreme aerobat by any means as was mentioned by a previous poster.

The 11X7 is slap bang in the middle of the recommended prop range. You would still want to make a amp / watts measurement to be completely safe.

No I didn't read all the specs as they don't make much sense to me. I dont have the best understanding of these electrial terms, and it did not take long to get an answer here. Thanks for the replies, they are just what I was after, peoples honest opinions.

Now I am looking at my Parkzone Extra 300 and wondering how the eflite 480 motor would go. It flies the Extra with plenty of vertical on an 11x7 and 2200 3s.
Otherwise I might try the Turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html Any thoughts are once again appreciated.

or maybe this motor;
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html

Dan.
Dan137 is offline Find More Posts by Dan137
Old Jan 20, 2013, 08:15 AM
Fly Seaplanes
Sandy Hook, CT.
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts
Motor

I have been flying with the 3536, the plane balances nicely and flies great. the 3542 might be a little heavy
Fviking is offline Find More Posts by Fviking
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:30 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Spektrum radios and reversers don't do well together. I used one in a gorgeous F22 EDF. It stopped reversing an elevon on a low altitude high speed pass over the runway. SPLAT, it exploded when it flipped over. I really liked that twin fan EDF.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan137 View Post
No I didn't read all the specs as they don't make much sense to me. I dont have the best understanding of these electrial terms, and it did not take long to get an answer here. Thanks for the replies, they are just what I was after, peoples honest opinions.

Now I am looking at my Parkzone Extra 300 and wondering how the eflite 480 motor would go. It flies the Extra with plenty of vertical on an 11x7 and 2200 3s.
Otherwise I might try the Turnigy http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html Any thoughts are once again appreciated.

or maybe this motor;

Dan.
If you want to save a bit buy one of these.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
I have this motor in mine and love it.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:48 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I am gonna put my money where my mouth is! I bought my Fun Cub and ALL of their recommended parts and and products from HURC to build and fly it. One was the reverser. I even sent them an e-mail concerning my concern and was advised all would be well. They have ALWAYS backed me in the last few years if I ever had a problem, replaced a lipo. ..I'm gonna fly as they have recommended, I trust them, but if....we'll see ..Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jan 20, 2013, 12:33 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
323 Posts
Quote:

or maybe this motor;

Dan.
Teach a man to fish then.

Look at the specs.

As far as voltage, if it says 11.1 it's good for 3-cells. If it says 14.8 or higher it's good for four cells.

Check the wattage (volts times amps if watts aren't listed). If it can SUSTAIN (not "burst") more than 150 watts per pound of all-up aircraft weight it will be a lively aerobat. Within reason more will make it livelier yet.

Keep in mind that EVERY problem ever ascribed to the Fun Cub is 100% caused by adding too much power and/or too much weight. Powered and built as-recommended by Multiplex, etc, there are ZERO problems with this aircraft. Unfortunately the tendency in this hobby is to overpower everything and wonder why the hell it flies like crap and stuff doesn't hold up. Even the much-maligned landing gear works PERFECTLY when not carrying excess avoirdupois coupled with pilots who actually spend time learning to land properly. Properly is NOT "stalling out a foot or two off the deck and bounce off the gear", though you'd think it was to watch folks flying these. Yet everyone moans and groans like it's the airframe that's got something wrong with it when they haven't paid any attention at all to the recommendations by the manufacturer. This isn't limited to the Fun Cub or Multiplex by any means...

And OMG don't get sucked into a motor that you end up needing to ballast the REAR of the plane to counterbalance... Sometimes I'm afraid my head will explode.
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Last edited by NOISY MUSE; Jan 20, 2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:01 PM
USA, IL, Champaign
Joined Jul 2005
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Teach a man to fish then.

Look at the specs.

As far as voltage, if it says 11.1 it's good for 3-cells. If it says 14.8 or higher it's good for four cells.

Check the wattage (volts times amps if watts aren't listed). If it can SUSTAIN (not "burst") more than 150 amps per pound of all-up aircraft weight it will be a lively aerobat. Within reason more will make it livelier yet.

Keep in mind that EVERY problem ever ascribed to the Fun Cub is 100% caused by adding too much power and/or too much weight. Powered and built as-recommended by Multiplex, etc, there are ZERO problems with this aircraft. Unfortunately the tendency in this hobby is to overpower everything and wonder why the hell it flies like crap and stuff doesn't hold up. Even the much-maligned landing gear works PERFECTLY when not carrying excess avoirdupois coupled with pilots who actually spend time learning to land properly. Properly is NOT "stalling out a foot or two off the deck and bounce off the gear", though you'd think it was to watch folks flying these. Yet everyone moans and groans like it's the airframe that's got something wrong with it when they haven't paid any attention at all to the recommendations by the manufacturer. This isn't limited to the Fun Cub or Multiplex by any means...

And OMG don't get sucked into a motor that you end up needing to ballast the REAR of the plane to counterbalance... Sometimes I'm afraid my head will explode.

"150 amps per pound" You are saying that 2.x lbs x 150 amps= 300.x amps Sure would make a lively aerobat. I think you meant watts per pound.

I also like to keep things light and not way overpowered. One of the great things about the hobby is that everyone can choose build a model however they want. What does bother me a lot is when people that build a model that is way overpowered and or very heavy start complaining about the defects and issues with the model. A modeler needs to really pay attention to the manufactures power system and weight. Once a modeler goes outside those recommendations it can cause all kinds of problems if not well thought out with proper reinforcing done. Flight characteristics can change drastically as well but who is to blame?
Phoenex is offline Find More Posts by Phoenex
Old Jan 20, 2013, 01:54 PM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Have a look at this page, it lists a load of battery / motor / prop combinations for the Fun Cub, with performance measurements etc.

http://www.bungymania.com/funcub/

Look at the link "Techniques" from the menu down the left hand side.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:13 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,269 Posts
hmmm I dont read french...and it dosent even show/have the motor setup The MFG Suggest useing..much less the 1 I AM useing thanks anyway...perhaps someone can us that chart.
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:50 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
hmmm I dont read french...and it dosent even show/have the motor setup The MFG Suggest useing..much less the 1 I AM useing thanks anyway...perhaps someone can us that chart.
There's a translation button on the top of the menu ?
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Jan 20, 2013, 03:57 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenex View Post
"150 amps per pound" You are saying that 2.x lbs x 150 amps= 300.x amps Sure would make a lively aerobat. I think you meant watts per pound.

I also like to keep things light and not way overpowered. One of the great things about the hobby is that everyone can choose build a model however they want. What does bother me a lot is when people that build a model that is way overpowered and or very heavy start complaining about the defects and issues with the model. A modeler needs to really pay attention to the manufactures power system and weight. Once a modeler goes outside those recommendations it can cause all kinds of problems if not well thought out with proper reinforcing done. Flight characteristics can change drastically as well but who is to blame?
Yes, indeed, I meant 150 watts per pound. Thanks--I have edited my earlier response.

Your point is exactly what I was referring to...people certainly MAY choose to wreck the flying properties of their plane as they choose to do so, but for goodness sakes quit complaining about the airframe when you do so. Proceed at your peril, your mileage may vary, etc., when you step off the edge of recommendation because YOU know better.

Yes, a living room sofa WILL fly given enough power and prop. It just looks kinda dumb doing so and landings are, at best, messy.

Folks can do as they choose, it's their plane, but there are SO many MUCH better choices for aerobatic endeavors than a Fun Cub.
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Jan 20, 2013, 06:37 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,255 Posts
Got to maiden the FC today and ran about 7 batterieis throught it. Tried both 4s and 3s and definately like the 4s with my current setup. Tacon big 10 motor and currently a 12 x 6 prop. It flew great and just needed a little tweaking on the down/right thrust....had too much right and not enough down.

Was a little windy so I will play with it on a calmer day....this is one fun aircraft but man it does not like to land on pavement with those big A$$ wheels.....you really have to FLY it on the ground then let the tail down easy. no flare before touchdown or you make 5 bouncy landings. I have a set of large foam wheels coming HK to try and see if that tames it a little.

Anyone try new wheels on pavement?
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:00 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdee14 View Post
I have a set of large foam wheels coming HK to try and see if that tames it a little.

Anyone try new wheels on pavement?
I HAve a set of 4" wheels on order too..as I agree the foam wheels do not LOVE Pavement...BUT the DO love Grass/dirt !

Will post um in about a month...after I get them from HK
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 20, 2013, 07:13 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:
Keep in mind that EVERY problem ever ascribed to the Fun Cub is 100% caused by adding too much power and/or too much weight. Powered and built as-recommended by Multiplex, etc, there are ZERO problems with this aircraft. Unfortunately the tendency in this hobby is to overpower everything and wonder why the hell it flies like crap and stuff doesn't hold up. Even the much-maligned landing gear works PERFECTLY when not carrying excess avoirdupois coupled with pilots who actually spend time learning to land properly. Properly is NOT "stalling out a foot or two off the deck and bounce off the gear", though you'd think it was to watch folks flying these. Yet everyone moans and groans like it's the airframe that's got something wrong with it when they ha7ven't paid any attention at all to the recommendations by the manufacturer. This isn't limited to the Fun Cub or Multiplex by any means...

Couldnt agree more.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04