HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:16 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I'm going to be doing one more mod on it tomorrow or the next day. Just have to zip into the city to the LHS and pick up the floats i ordered. This is the same kind of pair i'm putting on the FC that i have on my Apprentice. Flyzone beaver floats.
HEY...thats not a FUnCub !!!!

But neither is this
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Last edited by Weed89; Jan 14, 2013 at 11:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:31 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Showing the floats..
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:36 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,420 Posts
Is there any good reason not to glue the two wing halves together if transport size is not an issue? Seems to me it would be more solid if the wings were permanently glued together?
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,420 Posts
Cure For Flimsy Stock Tail Wheel Assembly

I installed this tail wheel bracket form Hobby King: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html. A small amount of trimming of the fuselage is needed then it lines up fine with the rudder. Roughed up the mounting surfaces. Drilled two holes into the rudder control horn bracket part from the bottom of the rudder so I could run two screws holding the rudder part of the tail wheel bracket in to it and also put a third screw on the outer edge of the tail wheel bracket. Used three long screws on the fuselage side bracket part. Used thirty minute epoxy to attach both parts of the bracket and long coarse screws into the foam, backed the screws out and coated them with epoxy and turned them back in, seems solid. This mod adds 18 grams of weight over stock.

This mod is very easy to do on the stock setup, just cut the stock tail wheel wire off and install the HK bracket. The HK bracket is much beefier than the Sullivan bracket that some are using, should hold up better.

Here is a photo of the mod, this is not mine but is the same bracket and very similar to what I did. It does not show the two holes I drilled into the new tail wheel bracket and through the rudder control horn bracket from the bottom of the rudder that adds support to the tail wheel bracket. The photo shows the fuselage part of the tail wheel bracket mounted to a wood block, I don't think that is necessary though :http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=5433916
Last edited by itsme2; Jan 16, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:20 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Is there any good reason not to glue the two wing halves together if transport size is not an issue? Seems to me it would be more solid if the wings were permanently glued together?

No. If transport is not an issue most glue them together including me.
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:38 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy70 View Post
No. If transport is not an issue most glue them together including me.
Is CA or epoxy better for the job?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:19 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,341 Posts
Medium regular (not the foam-safe stuff) CA one side, a light mist of kicker on the other. Press together, hold firmly for 10-20 seconds and presto, bonded for life
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:38 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,283 Posts
Finished my FC tonight, I flagrently "Copied" a paint scheme posted earlier in this thread.....to whomever I copied...."I thank you and give you the credit for coming up with it" I used Rustoleum Sun Yellow and Rust flat black, then coated with brush on water based poly. Used the Frog tape but had some bleeding under the tape....so used black auto pinstipping on all lines to get them crisp, then coated with WTB. Did the tail wheel mod, and landing gear mod.
Just waiting on a dual RX to arive in the mail. Using the Radian Pro program downloaded to the DX8 but locked out the reflex. was surprised it takes the battery almost all the way up front to balance on the spar. Using the Tacon Big 10 motor. Looking forward to having some fun with this...."thanks" to all on this forum for some great ideas. Copied picture of motor and cut out the valve covers for the motor.
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Last edited by mjdee14; Jan 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: addition
Old Jan 16, 2013, 01:25 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote; The HK bracket is much beefier than the Sullivan bracket that some are using, should hold up better.

Seriously? Do you understand the reasoning of having a spring directing your tail wheel?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:14 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Quote; The HK bracket is much beefier than the Sullivan bracket that some are using, should hold up better.

Seriously? Do you understand the reasoning of having a spring directing your tail wheel?
No. Please explain. The stock setup does not have a spring.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:00 AM
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
I completely agree. My first baby does not have the wings glued together. When I built my second, I decided to glue them together in the center only. I left the support tubes exactly stock. So, if I ever need to separate the wings, I only have to slice down the middle joined section to get them apart. There is no reason to not glue them this way if the Cub fits in your car nicely. The extra strength and security offered by joining them is the way to go.
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:18 AM
Fayetteville, AR
Joined Jan 2010
471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
No. Please explain. The stock setup does not have a spring.
I may be wrong but on the Sullivans, the spring that attaches to the rudder is there to take away the shock of the tailwheel as you taxi. The theory is that if you hit a rock or something while taxiing the spring will take the shock, not your rudder.
bicyclemonkey is offline Find More Posts by bicyclemonkey
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:25 AM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
I completely agree. My first baby does not have the wings glued together. When I built my second, I decided to glue them together in the center only. I left the support tubes exactly stock. So, if I ever need to separate the wings, I only have to slice down the middle joined section to get them apart. There is no reason to not glue them this way if the Cub fits in your car nicely. The extra strength and security offered by joining them is the way to go.
I agree, but I have a small car....so someone earlier suggested to glue the spar joiners one on each side. I glued them to each spar so when installed on the plane each plastic screw is holding it's side. the plane is designed so the wings sit in a "pocket" that doesn't allow them to move outward.

I actually have to say Multiplex put a lot of thought into this kit. It was a pleasure to build, everything fit "perfectly" and the foam is "Top grade". Kit costs a little more but is well worth it for the quality. They have now included a metal motor mount, now they just need to beef both the main and tail wheel.
mjdee14 is online now Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:27 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicyclemonkey View Post
I may be wrong but on the Sullivans, the spring that attaches to the rudder is there to take away the shock of the tailwheel as you taxi. The theory is that if you hit a rock or something while taxiing the spring will take the shock, not your rudder.
Yup, exactly. Not that it's to critical on this plane though being that it's light.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:44 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,497 Posts
It also allows the rudder to move when the plane is not moving.
Taking a lot of stress off the servo, linkage, hinges.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber