HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:49 AM
Joined Apr 2010
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
What flight characteristics would I look for and what direction would I use to change it? ie if the aircraft pulled up the a left turn I would adjust for less down aileron?
Hopefully someone will chip in with considerations for aerobatic aircraft. Although in my opinion you're never going to get axial rolls etc on a high wing model with significant dihedral. For normal flying I would say look at how much rudder is needed in turns. A sign of too little differential would be the tail low in turns when using just ailerons, showing that the model is trying to yaw the opposite way.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:26 AM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I guessing that was why I had such a problem flying my SE5a. At the point I was flying it I though maximum aileron travel in both directions was good and the SE5a had 4. My first turns were scary and I couldn't figure out why and mixed in some rudder which fixed it. Before I did it was like it wanted to fall out of the sky with the tail going down. This forum has taught me again!! Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Last edited by zeezee; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:46 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,022 Posts
I'm going to mix in a slight bit of rudder on mine. I do it naturally but i'm always giving slight rudder input on turns i noticed with this plane.
Hey zeezee, picked up a 1SQ(FUN). Running it with the DX8.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Last edited by gewiens; Jan 08, 2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:07 AM
Pigeon 4 life.
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
588 Posts
Hey, would it be possible to make a 2 pice wing for easier transport?
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:16 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post
The regular build is with a two piece wing, most people
do a one piece, maybe a bit stronger.

Read pages 10 and 11, test later...

http://www.multiplexusa.com/files/FunCubManual.pdf
Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:59 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtoplanes View Post
I built mine with a 2 piece but glued on joiner to each wing so both sides have a screw holding them. It's survived some pretty good impacts and stills flies great
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:28 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Gewiens, I love my 1SQ and am getting damned good with it, cat and dog love it. It is amazing how well it fly's outside. I figured out quick that flying inside is a recipe for damage fast! If I do it's on the kingsize bed playing with the amused cat trying to nap, that is not worried about it. I use the tonneau cover of my truck as a takeoff and landing pad out in the field. I can see myself getting real good with this. Over 200 flights and zero damage..outside in a huge field, NO trees where if you don't watch it can build up some high speeds. There's plenty thick grass, but landing on the trampoline like truck cover is best, plus you have to fly to it. I built my F.Cub wing to separate, but it will fit katty cornered in my Ranger bed (step side) with wings on, so I may glue them. Because of the F.Cub, I sold my Hanger9 80" Pawnee (will be tonite) because it's lighter, loves all grass strips and does T&G's all day plus I don't have to assemble it in the field. My flaps on the F. Cub are setup to go down slow and I used their differential setup. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:11 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,263 Posts
***Re-Maiden With orange Gyro***

Well as the first try on my Gyro went haywire ( a reverse issue)..And it caused damage to my Cub...bent shaft on my $$$ Himax Motor$$$..I corrected all the Gyro issues...replaced the Himax with a Tacon Bigfoot 10 motor ( $18.00)

Also added in more Down thrust with 2 new mount screws..not quite, But almost double what plans called for.< as I had meant to do it previously..but my screws were CUT to fit the way plans called..and Hence now too short
...And The rest of the cub Rose from the ashes!!!!!

So Actually this was a Maiden with A larger motor & a functioning gyro.

Beautiful Morning at the field...checked ALL throws CAREFULLY again...Re- checked CG I was surprised with a larger motor & a 60a ESC ( replacing the 37amp. one from Himax) ..I actually had to slide my lipo FORWARD Go figure...but put CG right at the front Spar. ( Perfect place on mine )

Made sure GYRO was off ( would test it HIGH up)..I started with the 13x4 apc. prop..and if I was not happy would drop to a 12x6apc.

added throttle gradually ( normally I just slam it forward) It pulled the tail right up to horizontal ( due to the down thrust addition) and lifted off Beautifully like a Real cub would..all this at less than 1/2 throttle ( p.s. no flaps this time either)

all seemed very smooth..but needed mild trim on ailerons & elevator...hands off/Power off..flying true and straight.

So now for a power test...brought it around an now applied full throttle..and headed for the sky..Vertical....QUITE a bit better than the old motor...not sure how high b4 it began to slow/stall...but my guess would be over 500ft.

I had also ( because it always bugged me b4) made my elevator push rod a inch longer..and now had max elev. deflection..where it just touches the rudder cutout. ( MUCH better for very tight loops and Flaring on landings) the darn stock push rod was too short i feel. anyway happy with that upgrade too.

with this power set up..roll rate was improved alot...not tight rolls ...but much improved 1's...and the plane will still slow right down and land at walking speed.

So..Now for a Gyro test up HIGH...I leveled the plane out up high and hit the switch...very smooth..really could not tell anything at first..I still had full control..was fighting nothing at all..So I put it in a low power dive/spin..and let go of the stick......it smoothly stopped the spiral and spin ..then flew level Whooo Haa it WORKED !!

now i had my gyro tuned down from my first test..elevator and rudder at about 2:15 O'Clock position..but the ailerons set down to 1:30ish...I love it..BUT might try dialing the ailerons back up abit in future testing.

The real test with gyro- I lined it up..flaps down for landing..about 20 feet up..and dropping to land...TOOK my HANDS OFF the RT Stick...and Landed it just using throttle.....BEAUTIFUL Landing !!!

OK this is LONG WINDED...so enough for now.

Pat ( very happy cub owner )
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Last edited by Weed89; Jan 08, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:05 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
I just finished replacing the stock landing struts with the HK struts (2.73$)
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4952
I ditched the blue strut covers and instead I painted the struts with a mat black spray paint. It took some time to fix a plywood plate and all relevant work (holes, blind nuts, filler, sanding etc) but I think the final outcome looks much better.

My only worry for the moment are the 4 screws that hold the struts. I 've seen other people use two 6mm plastic screws so that in a bad landing you ll just snap the screws and not mess the whole fuselage bottom. I ve put four 4mm metal screws. I also got me some 4mm plastic screws: do you think they ll be ok to use?

dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:14 PM
K_B
1D Flyer
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Sep 2012
110 Posts
Is that a two-piece landing gear? I'd put something across both pieces to make it a little more solid. It'll only take one hard landing for that gear to pull those screws out or destroy the backing plate. The two piece gear puts alot of strain on those 2 screws holding in each side. By putting a single sheet of light ply or something across it, you'll spread the forces across all four screws instead.

I'd definitely use some nylon nuts. If all you've got is 4mm, give 'em a shot. The worst that can happen is that they'll break too easily.
K_B is offline Find More Posts by K_B
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:30 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
619 Posts
Thanks for noticing the gap between the two pieces- I will fix it. The blind nuts are metal and burried/epoxied under the backing plate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
The worst that can happen is that they'll break too easily.
That's what I am afraid of: another lost afternoon over the bench, trying to remove plastic fragments . But I guess if you don't try it you 'll never find out
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:18 PM
Nashville TN, USA
Joined Jun 2004
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
Well as the first try on my Gyro went haywire ( a reverse issue)..And it caused damage to my Cub...bent shaft on my $$$ Himax Motor$$$..I corrected all the Gyro issues...replaced the Himax with a Tacon Bigfoot 10 motor ( $18.00)

Also added in more Down thrust with 2 new mount screws..not quite, But almost double what plans called for.< as I had meant to do it previously..but my screws were CUT to fit the way plans called..and Hence now too short
...And The rest of the cub Rose from the ashes!!!!!

So Actually this was a Maiden with A larger motor & a functioning gyro.

Beautiful Morning at the field...checked ALL throws CAREFULLY again...Re- checked CG I was surprised with a larger motor & a 60a ESC ( replacing the 37amp. one from Himax) ..I actually had to slide my lipo FORWARD Go figure...but put CG right at the front Spar. ( Perfect place on mine )

Made sure GYRO was off ( would test it HIGH up)..I started with the 13x4 apc.

Pat ( very happy cub owner )

Tell us about the Taco 10 motor. How did it work with the 13 x 4 prop? What s size batt were you using and how long was flight time.

I just got this motor and my cub should be here tomorrow, any info would be appreciated.

Thx
mjdee14 is offline Find More Posts by mjdee14
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:28 PM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
503 Posts
GoPro on the Fun Cub

Took the fun cub out with the GoPro, my friend was flying his extra around trying to chase me down. I do a few rolls, loops and a bit of inverted flight. this was the first time up with the GoPro so the next videos will be coming soon with a little better flying. on my youtube channel there is a video reviewing the mods and everything i did to my fun cub. Hope to get some glider tows and some other fun stuff soon, enjoy.

GoPro RC plane Fun Cub chased by Extra 300 (6 min 5 sec)
Watts cooking is offline Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Watts cooking; Jan 08, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
212 Posts
Motor question persons should investigate this site; http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-264.html
It basically says the "regular set-up" is a 840 RPM swinging a 13/4 with a 36 AMP speed controller. The "power set-up" is a 1130 RPM swinging a 11/5.5 with a 57 AMP speed controller.
I bought the "power" gig for my Funcub but haven't tried it out yet. I did though buy their "power" set-up for my MPX Gemini and it's awesome.
Brian
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:57 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,009 Posts
Nice video, love those GoPro images.

Sure sounds like you're running a glow engine though!

Oh yea, where's the snow??
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70