SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
L Gear

Just talked to this guy on the phone about a nice scale set of Cub bungee gear for the Fun Cub. They come primed ready to paint. Gettin a bigger set for my Hanger 9 80" Pawnee. Fun Cub gear is $50.00 + $10.00 shipping. His site is: www.cublandinggear.com Looks like a good item to go ahead and install on a new one and be done with it.. The picture may not be for the Fun Cub but they are made the same to fit the existing Fun Cub gear fittings. Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:34 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,558 Posts
IMHO -$60 gear on a $100 plane seems like overkill. Kinda like a little Honda with expensive wheels and a giant whale tail. But to each their own. I have a 450 watt motor on mine.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:40 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Just talked to this guy on the phone about a nice scale set of Cub bungee gear for the Fun Cub. They come primed ready to paint. Gettin a bigger set for my Hanger 9 80" Pawnee. Fun Cub gear is $50.00 + $10.00 shipping. His site is: www.cublandinggear.com Looks like a good item to go ahead and install on a new one and be done with it.. The picture may not be for the Fun Cub but they are made the same to fit the existing Fun Cub gear fittings. Dave/zeezee
I ordered mine a couple of weeks a go.

I also bought the recever ready Fun Cub, no time, desire or skills to build although you still have to do a few things on the RR FC to get it in the air.
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:10 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
^ there's nothing wrong with not building a plane and learning to fly. You might have the desire a few planes after to try and build your own....I've done two scratchbuilds. It' sneat to see something you built actually fly...The FunCub was the first plane I had to build as a kit and it came out great! I love it.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Dec 22, 2012, 06:30 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I'll tell ya what about gear, it is one of the most important parts of the airplane at it's two most vulnerable times, TO's and landings. I hate crappy gear on a model. One of my 1st planes was the Parkzone 50" Stinson Reliant foamy and it was a very well built and beautifully done model plane especially for a foamy. The gear was all covered with fairings and beautiful wheel pants, but the gear itself was soft crap aluminum and bent no matter what. If it wasn't for the gear I would buy another one tomorrow as it was a great flying plane. My high dollar Hanger 9 landing gear surprised me when I found out how soft it was, so I looked into Robarts and man were they nice and completely functional and expensive ...worth every dollar when you have to just get it on the ground fast and hard!! The crappy landing gear on my 1st plane a HZ Super Cub was so bad I almost quit flying and did for a few months till I decided to add ugly braces to them with big spoke wheels to fly in the grass and I learned. So when I found out this guy was making these killer scale and strong gear for the F Cub it was a no brainer, problem solved before there's a problem. What I don't understand is people who put $3000.00 worth of 22" rims and tires on a $800.00 Impala or Regal and dey go.... boom,boom,da,da,da,da,boom,boom:confused :ZZEEZ
Last edited by zeezee; Dec 22, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:54 PM
Joined May 2010
71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I'll tell ya what about gear, it is one of the most important parts of the airplane. So when I found out this guy was making these killer scale and strong gear for the F Cub it was a no brainer, problem solved before there's a problem.
I only have about 10 flights on mine. I have landed on everything though from a nice paved surface, to grass, to bumpy dirt and haven't noticed any problems with my gear. So what is the problem with the stock gear??? I have just started reading through this thread so I have missed a lot I am sure. Thanks in advance
Jeebs77 is online now Find More Posts by Jeebs77
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:05 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebs77 View Post
I only have about 10 flights on mine. I have landed on everything though from a nice paved surface, to grass, to bumpy dirt and haven't noticed any problems with my gear. So what is the problem with the stock gear??? I have just started reading through this thread so I have missed a lot I am sure. Thanks in advance
Just give it time. The landing gear wire is weak, it will fatigue and get really floppy after a while. Like you, I didn't think it was an issue at first, but I'm seeing the design flaw now. I'm putting some carbon fiber gear from an Addiction on my cub this weekend. They were free and the size is just right. Pix to follow soon.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:30 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I don't think I'm alone in this weak gear thing. Just about every bad failure with a plane anywhere I've flown has been failure of the landing gear. I am "glad" to hear about the eventual downfall of the stock gear so I can take care of it before I tear up a nice plane because something I had that bad feeling about. I used to fly myself over the treetops and I always triple thought out everything I used on the plane. I had a friend who safely crash landed his 150 because of a warning light he used that he had gotten in a value pack to save a couple bucks. I have a brand new RTF plane right now waiting for me to change out the stock servo's before I will fly her. Dave/zeezee
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
Been flying my FC since last March. I just added the hair tie trick to hold them in. They been occasionally, but it's not so bad...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:46 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,274 Posts
man...too much ..too little .....to late

I would have loved to sell ZeeZee a pair of my modified gear for.....let's say $250.00..And I would eve3n consider paying shipping too

But cublandinggear got him first
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
226 Posts
Some guys insist the gear needs to be modified and other guys insist just as strongly that it's unnecessary. I won't come down on either side, but I'll share this:

I saw all the mods to the landing gear posted in this thread. Earlier in this thread I asked a question about modifying my gear. Someone made a snarky remark about learning how to land properly. That kinda irked me because I thought I knew what I was doing. Anyway, I put more effort into "greasing" my landing and I haven't bent the gear since.

YMMV, yadda, yadda yadda...
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,456 Posts
The FC landing gear from here is bling, I like bling: http://www.cublandinggear.com/
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hey there WEED! I haven't seen ya in 6 years ... I like those gear. I haven't ever seen this plane, is part of that the stock gear wire going back into that "plastic" holder? Looks like you have some ball clips on the bottom by the wheels. Is the spring what gives it rigidity? What did that solve being that the gear is still in(or is it?)the factory gear receptacle? I miss my moke', but that and Camels got me good. Merry CHRISTmas, Dave and the RC recon gang down in the Ms.-La. swamp hanging with the guys who wear black in the water.These guys train live fire a mile from my ranch and one of their trainers is in our RC club and has a Raven, they have em on the boats.
Last edited by zeezee; Dec 22, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Undercarriage

Ive had two funcubs now and havent had any problems with the standard one.
It will take an amazing amount of punishment.
The worst that has happened in more than 100 flights and probably 200 plus landings if you count numerous touch and go's has been tearing out the mounting bracket once ,I just glued it back in again.
The wire is quite springy ,by design ,I think its supposed to be like that andheaven forbid ,if it broke We could even bend up a new one !!!!!!!!!1
ruddleto is offline Find More Posts by ruddleto
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:24 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
226 Posts
Maybe newer FC owners haven't seen this video yet...

The EasyCub in this video was supposedly the inspiration for the FunCub. Notice the really long flaps and really short ailerons. I bought the EC some time ago just to do this conversion. It would have been a hassle, so I just got the FC instead. If (when?) I trash my FC, I may go ahead and try the conversion on my EC.

MULTIPLEX EasyCub Alaska Version (4 min 46 sec)
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones