SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
Maidened mine today. Put 8 batts though it. I love the plane, just a blast to fly. Stupid amounts of power on 4s.
I just bought a kit out of the classifieds for $86 shipped
I think I want to go with your setup.
Was it a straight, simple bolt-in?
What size 4s and what size esc?
Did it need tailweight added?

Wondering what tail servos to order from HK...

Love to hear more on your flight tests.
Thanks
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:05 PM
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
I put in the hobbyking 929 mg servos if I remember correctly all around. Using dlux 55amp esc and batts I will be using when flying 4s are zippy compact 2300 35c and 2700 35c. On 3s ill use anything up to 3300 30c. As far as motor just ordered a new turnigy 3542/6 1000 kv. 3rd flight on 4s with the ntm motor and the shaft sheared off in flight. No problem landing it though. Not sure how the next motor will mount but at least it has a 5mm shaft. Had to drill 2 holes in the mount to make the ntm fit.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Last edited by gewiens; Dec 19, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:26 PM
Registered User
Weed89's Avatar
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke & Terry View Post
This is incorrect!! The newer version is bigger !
opps...I got my cub a while ago..BUT guess IT is the new version..I was under the assumption they came out with an even newer version.
will go back and correct the other post
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:46 PM
Oklahoma City
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Oct 2012
82 Posts
Terry6640. If I remember correctly @ the beginning of this thread there was a lot of conversation about the FUN CUB having been taken from the earlier version called the EASY CUB as the Two versions had the same fuse and tail assembly.The only differences in the Two were the L.G and that the FUN CUB had a longer wing. Sometime later the factory determined that a larger vertical stab & rudder were needed to enhance it's menouverability. ALSO... The FUN CUB Power Pack from the factory had the HIMAX HC3516-840 motor which was a larger & HEAVIER motor than the origional EASY CUB Motor Himax 2816-890. Motor weights are 134gr verses 79gr. With this & the larger props we can see why we have such a bad " Nose Heavy " balancing problem with our sweet little FUN CUB. Check it out, it's in the early part of this thread. Hope this helps. Any newly purchased FUN CUB will have the larger tail section unless it's been on the shelf for a LOOOONG time.
Nervouswreck is online now Find More Posts by Nervouswreck
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
I put in the hobbyking 929 mg servos if I remember correctly all around. Using dlux 55amp esc and batts I will be using when flying 4s are zippy compact 2300 35c and 2700 35c. On 3s ill use anything up to 3300 30c. As far as motor just ordered a new turnigy 3542/6 1000 kv. 3rd flight on 4s with the ntm motor and the shaft sheared off in flight. No problem landing it though. Not sure how the next motor will mount but at least it has a 5mm shaft. Had to drill 2 holes in the mount to make the ntm fit.
Well thanks but with the motor issue it sounds like back to the drawing board for me.
Drats...

I have a bunch of 939mg servos here but everyone keeps saying the 9g size is too small in the tail.
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
This is the motor going in http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18232
. Has the bigger shaft. As far as the tail servos I did put in a different one in for the elevator(just remembered). I used a spare JR mn48 I had laying around.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:18 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
LcJ's Avatar
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervouswreck View Post
Terry6640. If I remember correctly @ the beginning of this thread there was a lot of conversation about the FUN CUB having been taken from the earlier version called the EASY CUB as the Two versions had the same fuse and tail assembly.The only differences in the Two were the L.G and that the FUN CUB had a longer wing. Sometime later the factory determined that a larger vertical stab & rudder were needed to enhance it's menouverability. ALSO... The FUN CUB Power Pack from the factory had the HIMAX HC3516-840 motor which was a larger & HEAVIER motor than the origional EASY CUB Motor Himax 2816-890. Motor weights are 134gr verses 79gr. With this & the larger props we can see why we have such a bad " Nose Heavy " balancing problem with our sweet little FUN CUB. Check it out, it's in the early part of this thread. Hope this helps. Any newly purchased FUN CUB will have the larger tail section unless it's been on the shelf for a LOOOONG time.
Thanks for filling in the blanks and a quality post for your 3rd. Can't wait for number 1,000.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewiens View Post
This is the motor going in http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18232
. Has the bigger shaft. As far as the tail servos I did put in a different one in for the elevator(just remembered). I used a spare JR mn48 I had laying around.
How do you mount this motor? Does the shaft reverse?
Terry6640 is offline Find More Posts by Terry6640
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Look Up!
gewiens's Avatar
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,029 Posts
Just pop off the c clip and reverse shaft.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry6640 View Post
I bent the R2 landing gear backwards on the first landing. It bent so equally I didn't notice it until I got the plane home and saw the bend. A simple fix, I bent it back to original and soldered a brace between the front and back struts. I've attached some pictures to explain. This landing gear does not have the bounce of the stock gear. It does have some give in the front brace cross members. The cross members are not stationary, they have a small rubber groumet that will let them flex on a hard landing.

As far as the tail, I've attached a picture, I don't know anything about the modification of the tail. Sorry
thx....just ordered the r2 gear
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 08:24 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2012
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
Yup, my rudder was just floating around on the box. It doesn't fit in the styrofoam holder

Thanks everybody for the vert/rudder info.
The picture of the 2 tails side by side looks obvious but, only if you have both to compare to.
So I guess the easiest way to tell out of the box is to see that the bigger tail doesn't fit in the holder? Kinda like a "go, no-go" gauge vs an actual measurement with a ruler. Who knew that the "fit the shapes in the hole" game as a toddler had real world, adult applications?

Edit - Good thing OJ hired a lawyer that was an expert at that game. Johnny Cochran - If it doesn't fit, you must acquit
rcfisherman is offline Find More Posts by rcfisherman
Last edited by rcfisherman; Dec 19, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
JDMJim's Avatar
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,149 Posts
It can't fit in the tray. It's too tall and you can't close the box
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
Good Better Best quest.
olmod's Avatar
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
One top fin is almost a true radius the other is not.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19, 2012, 11:56 PM
ICrashRCs
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Jun 2011
1,196 Posts
Any opinions on this power setup?

HeadsUp Alum Mount
and this HeadsUp motor:
Emax GT2820/06 140 grams 985KV, 570 watt
60A HobbyWing
Running 4s
APC 10 x 5E
Rated: 77 oz thrust at 36 amps (570 watts - avoid constant wide open throttle)

Do I even need the Alum Motor Mount?
Motor has a 25x25 pattern
IFlyRCs is offline Find More Posts by IFlyRCs
Last edited by IFlyRCs; Dec 20, 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2012, 12:11 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
A Rdnek's Avatar
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyRCs View Post
Any opinions on this power setup?

HeadsUp Alum Mount
and this HeadsUp motor:
Emax GT2820/06 140 grams 985KV, 570 watt
60A HobbyWing
Running 4s
APC 10 x 5E
Rated: 77 oz thrust at 36 amps (570 watts - avoid constant wide open throttle)

Do I even need the Alum Motor Mount?
Motor has a 25x25 pattern

Too heavy.
Yes.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 05:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 10:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 10:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 11:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 12:02 PM