HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 02:37 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,103 Posts
Hah, found da thread, for covering with colored tape....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1103159

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsudduth View Post
Banhas
Just curious what camera you are using. The video looks good, especially from the tail forward view. The camera would have to be small and light to be placed in that position.
The camera is the one i buy from hobbyking.http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._5MP_CMOS.html

If you see my other vídeos you will see better performance in sunny days.
Banhas is offline Find More Posts by Banhas
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:34 PM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
273 Posts
Hobby King HD Camera

Have you had any problems with this camera? I have read some of the reviews on tthe HK website and they are mixed at best.
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:12 AM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Hi ,
well I use the same and never had any issues with it. Quality is good, just "eats" a lot of memory since I've set it in the highest quality possible. Still, 375mb per about 3 minutes is ok for me. the only thing I've noticed is that when flying towards the sun it reacts quite good but it needs a second or so to respond when turning away form the sun again. Best movies I made where on cloudy days. I mount it with the velcro suplied with the FC by multiplex (red one, and never let go so far), just in the centre and on top of the wing, faced a bit downwards (1/3 sky, 2/3 ground). Attached with a string (wire) to the towing hook, just in case of...still must say, made many loops/rolls fast speed descents and that gave no issues what so ever.
Its snowing pretty much here and they've pronounced good weather for tmrw, so ski's on, mount the 10x7x3, start the camera and we'll see
Boreel is offline Find More Posts by Boreel
Old Dec 07, 2012, 02:42 AM
Joined Oct 2011
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsudduth View Post
Have you had any problems with this camera? I have read some of the reviews on tthe HK website and they are mixed at best.
My camera works fine. no problema at all. with a class6 sd card it frezzes some times but with a class10 it ok. I recommend this camera, good price for the quality.
Banhas is offline Find More Posts by Banhas
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:05 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGose View Post
Even more impressive. Was this vinyl trim tape like sign vinyl? Nice job!
All bog standard electrical tape.

Steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:19 AM
OPCC-Maineiack
United States, ME
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
A question,
Im setting up my FunCub, and have the 2815-07 from Heads up RC, and it came with the aluminum firewall mount

I have the ESC from them also, and have it along the inside floor stretched all the way back as i can get it
i took thin-ply and made a platform(sits on the channels) above the ESC for the battery that is a 2200Mah
I have that battery all the way back also, as far as it can go,

if i use the 80mm balance point I'm nose heavy really bad,

at 75 mm not so much,

at 67mm im balanced out perfect

so my question is this,

do i add the dreaded tail weight? and go for the 75mm?
or do i keep it as it is,

this is all new to me so please be kind with an explanation as i know cr@p about the balance point of an airplane
thanks
john
Maineiack is offline Find More Posts by Maineiack
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:33 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
John . . . I think you'll find people flying from anywhere from 65 to 80. Mines at 75 and I did end up using tail weight to achieve that location. I went back in forth in my head about how not to add the weight, and in the end it didn't matter as the plane flies great. I used a pig of a speed control with a heat sink was part of my problem.

If you want to experiment just tape a couple quarters on for a ride. You can always take them off and add permanent weight.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
OPCC-Maineiack
United States, ME
Joined May 2012
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter04 View Post
John . . . I think you'll find people flying from anywhere from 65 to 80. Mines at 75 and I did end up using tail weight to achieve that location. I went back in forth in my head about how not to add the weight, and in the end it didn't matter as the plane flies great. I used a pig of a speed control with a heat sink was part of my problem.

If you want to experiment just tape a couple quarters on for a ride. You can always take them off and add permanent weight.

ok thank you, i was trying to avoid the tail weight, but after doing a search, here,
i see the 70mm mark is a sweet spot so im going for it,

im very new at flying planes,,
Maineiack is offline Find More Posts by Maineiack
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineiack View Post
ok thank you, i was trying to avoid the tail weight, but after doing a search, here,
i see the 70mm mark is a sweet spot so im going for it,

im very new at flying planes,,
I also think that the plane handles the little additional weight on the tail, if that makes yours fly better. I added a little and it flies beautifully. The only thing that will potentially cause you problems is to be tail heavy. A little nose heavy can in some cases, be a good thing.
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:05 PM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Little update here since I've been flying with the ski's on and the wattmeter in the plane.
max weight flown was 1428 grams!!! No problem! Not even for the small 10x7x3. The 11x7x3 acted as expected, the same as my 12x6...all the force it need. The 10x7x3 performed good as well. No prop hanging for sure but normal acrobatics still possible with that small prop.
The landings went perfectly smooth so enough groundclearance even with the 11x7x3.
The Battery had to be put back al the way since the weight of the ski's and the watt meter really made it nose heavy. No I don't use a tailweight and don't need it either, just play with the battery location and it'll be fine. I measure before each flight (use different batteries each time) and just hold the plane underneath it's first wingstruts. That's my favourite CG point. Always safe and sound.
What I did notice was the way the undercarriage started to shake at certain speeds....mainly due to the ski's shape I guess. Anyway, when using the HK ski's, reinforce the L gear. Not for the landing but for during flight vibrations. After each flight I measured the temp and none of the items got over 20 degrees C, not even the motor (outside temp -2), so one flight I closed the air inlet but after the flight the temp didn't even get up that much more??? Still I think it's better to fly without since sufficient cooling is a must when using my 910 Kv with the 11x7x3!
Have fun
Boreel is offline Find More Posts by Boreel
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
I was flying my Fun Cub for the third time yesterday. I was going to land, had the flaps down but I slowed down too much, stalled and nosedived into the snow. I took the battery out very fast and got all the snow I could out of there as I was on my way inside. Then I used a hair dryer on the motor.

Do you think there is hope? Or did I just damage my motor after three flights?

It's the brushless motor that comes in the Fun Cub Powerkit, Himax C 3516-0840.
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:54 AM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjur View Post
I was flying my Fun Cub for the third time yesterday. I was going to land, had the flaps down but I slowed down too much, stalled and nosedived into the snow. I took the battery out very fast and got all the snow I could out of there as I was on my way inside. Then I used a hair dryer on the motor.

Should be fine if the impact was on snow and the motor has been dried out.

Try powering up and watch/listen for unusual noises or vibration. If it runs smoothly on the ground, then go fly!

If not ... prepare for some repairs.
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Old Dec 09, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjur View Post

I can't imagine the motor got terribly wet. It would be hard to get a lot of snow past the motor mount and into the motor.

Still, just in case, maybe others know the answer to this question:

Can he flush the motor with the electric motor cleaner the car guys use? What about contact cleaner or WD-40? any of these would displace water.
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,554 Posts
The water won't hurt anything other than possibly start some rust. Just run the motor some to warm it up and dry it out. Oil the bearings if you are really worried about it.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2