SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:30 PM
AMA 937634
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Jan 2010
1,605 Posts
RC Planet had the Fun Cub for $115.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Multiplex_Fu...mpum214243.htm

* Not affiliated with RC Planet, just passing along a sale.

-Mike
Stone1295 is offline Find More Posts by Stone1295
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:49 PM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Forgive me if this has been gone over before (I did search and didn't come up with anything).

Those of you who are keeping track, how many flights are you getting on your Fun Cubs? I'm wondering how long the airframe will hold up if handled with reasonable care.

I have about 25 flights on mine thus far, which I assume falls into the "just getting started" category. Unless it meets an immovable object at high speed I'm guessing it has a long way to go before it's ready to retire. It has had one small encounter with a particularly voracious tree, but has been repaired and reinforced and is now flying like a champ once again. But I'm guessing there comes a point where the stresses of x-number of flights just turns the airframe to mush. Of course that'll depend on how hard you fly.

Any clues?
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
Hundreds of flights on mine. Used UHU glue to put it together and no problems yet. This is the go to plane in my fleet and one I allow others to fly.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbthepilot View Post
Hundreds of flights on mine. Used UHU glue to put it together and no problems yet. This is the go to plane in my fleet and one I allow others to fly.
Hundreds.
I like the sound of that.

I haven't had any problems with glued seams coming apart (I used medium CA), but I hadn't heard of UHU glue so I looked it up. Seems like it's available in my part of the world too, so I might give it a whirl one of these days.

(Learn something new every day ... thanks.)
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:00 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,140 Posts
The funcub is great to fly in tight areas. It floats along. I fly it out of my yard. Cut power drop flaps. Keep nose down and flare at last second...flys inverted well. Great trainer to start as 3 ch.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:09 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot View Post
Those of you who are keeping track, how many flights are you getting on your Fun Cubs? I'm wondering how long the airframe will hold up if handled with reasonable care.
I did not keep track but I had it for little more than a year and I guess I have been flying 2-4 times a week with 4-8 flights each. That must make it close to 1000 flights! And believe me, I do not handle it with reasonable care.

There is chipped paint, a thick layer of grass and dust, had several major crashes, all foam hinges gave in and on many occasions I flew into things, deliberately. I guess it is like old shoes: Worn in and not pretty anymore but plenty comfortable. Still my go to plane.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:17 AM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dome78 View Post
I did not keep track but I had it for little more than a year and I guess I have been flying 2-4 times a week with 4-8 flights each. That must make it close to 1000 flights! And believe me, I do not handle it with reasonable care.
So far you're the prime contender for the "Most Abused Fun Cub" award!
Well done ... 1,000 flights ... wow.

You say your hinges gave out. What did you replace them with?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot View Post
You say your hinges gave out. What did you replace them with?
With these round hinges: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

The flap hinges are still original.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:48 AM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dome78 View Post
With these round hinges: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html

The flap hinges are still original.
Proper pivoted hinges! Very cool.
I was thinking of using CA hinges if mine ever broke, but mechanical hinges might be a better choice.
Thanks for the info.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Oct 2011
12 Posts
Here is a vídeo of my funcub flying in my city (Cantanhede, Portugal), filmed with HD Wing Cam from Hobbyking

Funcub 29-11-2012 Wing Cam HD (5 min 49 sec)
Banhas is offline Find More Posts by Banhas
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
I just assembled my RR version of the Fun Cub and when I glued the rudder in place I noticed that it's pulling to the right all the time, it must be bent somehow. I inserted that plastic part at the bottom first with some glue and then pushed it down a little and glued it onto the horizontal stabilizer.

So when I move the rudder to the left and release it, it just goes back to the right side, like there was a spring atached to it.

I connected the servo and the whole plane is kind of vibrating a little when I move the rudder, sounds like it is working much harder compared to the other servos.

Anyone had a similar problem? I don't think I'll be able to remove the rudder again without ruining it.
Do you think it is okay for the servo anyway?
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:08 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjur View Post
I just assembled my RR version of the Fun Cub and when I glued the rudder in place I noticed that it's pulling to the right all the time, it must be bent somehow. I inserted that plastic part at the bottom first with some glue and then pushed it down a little and glued it onto the horizontal stabilizer.

So when I move the rudder to the left and release it, it just goes back to the right side, like there was a spring atached to it.

I connected the servo and the whole plane is kind of vibrating a little when I move the rudder, sounds like it is working much harder compared to the other servos.

Anyone had a similar problem? I don't think I'll be able to remove the rudder again without ruining it.
Do you think it is okay for the servo anyway?
Might have a servo going bad,
I just went to fly mine and the Elev and Rudder servos are both going bad, One worse than the other.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:15 PM
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
Take a picture of the tail section where you glued things together. I am puzzled about how the horizontal stab is involved in all this? The rudder and tail wheel are not involved with the horizontal stab in any way... did you mean to say vertical stab instead?
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Mar 2012
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
Take a picture of the tail section where you glued things together. I am puzzled about how the horizontal stab is involved in all this? The rudder and tail wheel are not involved with the horizontal stab in any way... did you mean to say vertical stab instead?
Well I mean you have to glue the horizontal stab to the fuselage first and then the vertical stab is attached by that plastic part to the fuselage and also glued onto the top of the horizontal stab. Do you know what I mean?

I'll post pictures in a moment. Thanks.
kjur is offline Find More Posts by kjur
Old Nov 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,518 Posts
Tailplane and tailfin are words I know the rest confuses oldies like me.
olmod is online now Find More Posts by olmod