HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
I also always mask glue areas

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DId maiden today fun....not too sure the CG is where it should really be tho'...mine is 80MM from leading edge....but I saw others at my field..with the CG in the middle of the Spar/Tube...

where do others have it??...also think i am going to increse all control throws...very sluggish doing rolls...and i about run out of ability to flair... oyher than that about 5 flights..no issues except...SURE wish I had beefed up the tail wheel wire size, I bends about everytime i land...letting the taiwheel touch the bottom of the rudder.
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Last edited by Weed89; Nov 19, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:44 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DId maiden today fun....not too sure the CG is where it should really be tho'...mine is 80MM from leading edge....but I saw others at my field..with the CG in the middle of the Spar/Tube...

where do others have it??...also think i am going to increse all control throws...very sluggish doing rolls...and i about run out of ability to flair... oyher than that about 5 flights..no issues except...SURE wish I had beefed up the tail wheel wire size, I bends about everytime i land...letting the taiwheel touch the bottom of the rudder.
a good place to go is just balance on the leading spar (the longest one closest to LE)... The funcub will play nice with a very large variety of CG's... just dont go wayy too tail heavy. But the further back the CG, the more tendency the plane will have to tip stall and wing rock. as far as the tail wheel goes, just dont worry about it. bend it out a little.. Iv upgraded mine to a Du-bro setup, but the stock will do just fine.
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
a good place to go is just balance on the leading spar (the longest one closest to LE)... The funcub will play nice with a very large variety of CG's... just dont go wayy too tail heavy. But the further back the CG, the more tendency the plane will have to tip stall and wing rock. as far as the tail wheel goes, just dont worry about it. bend it out a little.. Iv upgraded mine to a Du-bro setup, but the stock will do just fine.
80mm and back can make it a little sensitive when you deploy flaps. If you are am experienced flyer keep it up to the spar and go back from there.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
Germany, BW, Gosheim
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35Mhz View Post
Funclub,

Are you marketing your Battery racks?
yes i sell Them in eBay.
You should find them under
fun cub battery rack.

Nice greetings Fron Germany
funclub is offline Find More Posts by funclub
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:44 AM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,171 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie boy View Post
When you paint the Funcub, is it necessary to mask any parts to be glued with the CA, or will the CA penitrate the Krylon Short Cut paint well enough to get a good solid joint?

Thanks
If you forgot to mask or have excessive overspray (and can't remove the paint), take a small toothpick and poke some shallow holes into the surfaces to be glued.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:03 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,338 Posts
I didnt mask anything, just put several thin coats of Krylon Fusion paint on mine. I used the toothpick route and poked many small holes along my glue seams.....its solid as a rock.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
828 Posts
PAGE 900 ! WOOHOO!!!! what a great plane huh?
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
I have page 450
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
I have 900 pages too.

Different posts-per-page setting perhaps?
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
The Revegetator
Melbourne Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,037 Posts
I have page 135
Chris F is offline Find More Posts by Chris F
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:59 AM
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Oct 2012
510 Posts
Quote:

The recommended CG seems to be a little far back and I have heard many stories about guys getting the CG "right" according to the manual and having problems. Mine is a bit far forward of the recommended CG and it flys great. When you start adding weight to the tail to try and reach the suggested CG is when I see people get into trouble.
Watts cooking is online now Find More Posts by Watts cooking
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
Germany, BW, Gosheim
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Hi I would like to show You my newest modifiation for skydiver dropping.
I was looking for a solution and built this yesterday very simple for a first test. Not flown yet.
Using the rudder to activate when dual rate is active, because i had no servo channel left at the receiver.

Here the video:
Fun Cub Springerabwurf Mechanik (0 min 7 sec)

Should work fine

Nice Greetings
funclub is offline Find More Posts by funclub
Last edited by funclub; Nov 21, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:

70 mm is a bit back of the spar. at the sper is going to be a little too stable and the stall a little more abrupt. I like it at about 75mm. I will say that a big (3300) battery and motor combo increases the wing loading and that makes cg a little tougher to set.

The next question is battery security. If it is sliding back and forth in flight this can make things exciting. I use some sticky stuff people put under shelf liner. The pads used for holding cell phones down on the dash of the car works. I cut two slits through the bottom of the fuse and use velcro strips. Goes nowhere.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:25 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Jul 2007
161 Posts
Quote:

Weed . . . . I believe mine ended up at about 75MM and I haven't tried to adjust it any further back. I have all my electronics and battery as far back as I can and still had to put weight on the tail with a power 10 and heavy speed control.

I typically set up my control surfaces to max throw. If travel is less in one direction than the other, I use end points to get the travel the same. Then I set up triple rates on my radio to adjust travel, and usually use the recommended set up for one of the rates. I've found that I end up flying the FunCub on my highest rates with the elvator and ailerons, and not on the rudder. Rudder has so much authority it will kick the tail right over in a stall turn and also turn on a dime.

You'll never get a ton of authority out of the ailerons compared to a sport or 3d plane for many reasons. Its a high wing with dihedral and it's always going to sort of corkscrew when it rolls even with elevator and rudder. The ailerons are not large surfaces like on a lot of planes. The ailerons are not in the "prop wash" so unless your carrying some air speed, the ailerons get mushy. You'll notice when you have flaps deployed and say you are flying slow figure eights, that the ailerons seem weak. Try the rudder to steer around along with the ailerons and you'll notice you can get it turning real sharp. Just don't experiment too low at first as you can give it so much rudder that you have to counter in the opposite direction with ailerons to keep the inside wing from dipping.

It's a fun plane for sure.
Scooter04 is offline Find More Posts by Scooter04
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:41 AM
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
Got 900 now. I like to conform!