HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:59 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Here is a photo of the my cub with the lights on:

Planning on flying her this weekend, supposed to have perfect flying weather for this time of year at least!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:48 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Here is a photo of the my cub with the lights on:

Planning on flying her this weekend, supposed to have perfect flying weather for this time of year at least!
Beauty!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:33 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,573 Posts
[QUOTE=IndyMatt;23280473]Here is a photo of the my cub with the lights on:

Sweet! Nice paint job too.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:25 PM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
201 Posts
John,
The E-Flite Super Cub 25e parts are listed at Horizon Hobby with part number EFL 460016 at $17.49.
Was this set of parts sufficient for the landing gear conversion or did you need further hardware parts such as EFL460017 and the wheels EFL460010 or did the Fun Cub wheels fit the Super Cub Landing gear?
Tony

EDIT I saw your posting #13413 after writing the above. Drilling stainless steel might be beyond my skill level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
This is the replacment gear for the E Flight Super Cub 25e. All of $17.00 from HH. The three pieces marked with red arrows need to be shortened and redrilled to fit the narrower FC fuse. I embedded two pieces of maple motor mount stock across the fuse to screw the gear to. I also openned the bungee cover and removed one of the "O" rings for better action on the lighter FC.

John
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Last edited by aerotony; Nov 16, 2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:46 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I bumped my flaps setting 10 clicks lower. I don't have the CG right for that kinda slow flying...but it makes for better asphalt landings.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:56 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMJim View Post
I bumped my flaps setting 10 clicks lower. I don't have the CG right for that kinda slow flying...but it makes for better asphalt landings.
Hi JD,

Have you considered mixing in some down elevator with your flaps? Works very well for me.

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:13 PM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Yes ... flap-to-elevator mixing is the way to go.

BTW, after pharting around with a number of motors and props on my FC, all of which were fun in a variety of ways, I eventually just bought the Multiplex Fun Cub Power Set and have discovered that it flies best that way for my needs (duh ... some of us need to find these things out the hard way ). Looks like I'll be sticking with that for a while.
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunPilot View Post
Yes ... flap-to-elevator mixing is the way to go.

BTW, after pharting around with a number of motors and props on my FC, all of which were fun in a variety of ways, I eventually just bought the Multiplex Fun Cub Power Set and have discovered that it flies best that way for my needs (duh ... some of us need to find these things out the hard way ). Looks like I'll be sticking with that for a while.
You may not even need much elevator if you only use the flaps at very low speeds, e.g. when landing. I question whether they ever intended for the flaps to be deployed at higher speeds.

Also, I have been plenty satisfied with the stock Multiplex power set.
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:04 AM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjones View Post
You may not even need much elevator if you only use the flaps at very low speeds, e.g. when landing. I question whether they ever intended for the flaps to be deployed at higher speeds.
I agree that it's probably not the proper way to fly, but it's so much fun to hit the flaps and watch the plane come to a screeching almost-stop in a bit of a headwind. Definitely not something commercial airline pilots should try.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:33 AM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
597 Posts
Quote:
Definitely not something commercial airline pilots should try.

it would be interesting...
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:33 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
I agree that it's probably not the proper way to fly, but it's so much fun to hit the flaps and watch the plane come to a screeching almost-stop in a bit of a headwind. Definitely not something commercial airline pilots should try.
Maybe not commercial. But, I can tell you private pilots do
And commercial pilots with out PAX.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Last edited by Flybynight2; Nov 17, 2012 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Splleing? lol
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
Again...cant maiden...RAIN....first was wind...now rain and I live in a season free enviroment..California
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:54 PM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Frustrating, isn't it.

Loaded my freshly tweaked Fun Cub and other gear up this morning, drove 25 min. to the club airfield only to be met by howling winds. The airfield is on the other side of a small-ish mountain range to where I live, and the weather can be drastically different on either side. You just don't know until you get there. There's a tunnel through the mountains, and it can be raining when you enter on one side and dry when you come out the other, or vice-versa. Weird. but that's nature.

At least I got a couple of flights in yesterday.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 07:55 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I have elevator mixed in. I moved battery back about 8mm. Much better now...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Nov 17, 2012, 09:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
597 Posts
Just took mine out now. New motor ESC prop... VERTICAL LIKE saturn 5 rocket!. No vibrations, no jutter or cut outs, perfect. So much wind that on landing a freak gust hot the plane and that flipped it and broke the prop. Btw i was using the 13x8 prop and with 2/10's of a throttle she flew around nicely when no wind was blowing her around.

So what i'm going to be doing is putting the 13x4 back on, wait for the wind to kinda pee off and also the sun to decend to a nice level so i don't turn in to a roast turkey.
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou