SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:44 PM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
YeeeeHaw! Me too! Did you try the new ESC with the motor that was in it when it was failing? That would have proven that that motor is just fine, and that you could take a very heavy hammer to that Pentium 40 ESC for causing you all this trouble.

Regards,
Gord
No i didnt try just swapping the esc. I just wanted to get it over and done with lol.

420watts of power... Feels like it can take off from on the spot and very smooth all along the throttle acceleration. It's a 60a esc but only uses about 24a on a 13x8 prop connected to a 1800 40c zippy.

With excitement however and i dont know why but i bought two planes last night. I woke up this morning and checked ebay and so forth and i have two planes coming my way lol. FMS P40 and a skyangel/Jpower L39 50mm jet... Which isnt a problem... Problem is hidding it from the wife lol!!

Oh as for the 40a esc my dog ripped it apart like a peice if tissue.
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:20 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
I think all ESCs are compatible to all motors, as long as they both share the same specs (ie Brushless ESC for brushless motor, Amperage, operating volts). Just read the specs of both, and ask in rcg to double-check.

One possible issue is when the connectors do not match (happens even if both have bullets of the same diameter). A good practice is to pick a favorite connector, and use it in all your ESC&motors (of the same class). I use the HobbyKing bullet connectors of EC3 plugs for all my 30Amp-50Amp applications. Just get a soldering iron and get used to working with it
If an esc does not deliver the correct timing to the motor it won't work. I have had that issue and my vendor replaced it. some with automatic timing don't work well. it depends on number of magnets and esc timing.

Most of the time this is not an issue but I have had it happen to me.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:43 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
No i didnt try just swapping the esc. I just wanted to get it over and done with lol.

420watts of power... Feels like it can take off from on the spot and very smooth all along the throttle acceleration. It's a 60a esc but only uses about 24a on a 13x8 prop connected to a 1800 40c zippy.

With excitement however and i dont know why but i bought two planes last night. I woke up this morning and checked ebay and so forth and i have two planes coming my way lol. FMS P40 and a skyangel/Jpower L39 50mm jet... Which isnt a problem... Problem is hidding it from the wife lol!!

Oh as for the 40a esc my dog ripped it apart like a peice if tissue.
Good! No loss there. But do give that old motor another chance later.

Regards
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:41 AM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
739 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
If an esc does not deliver the correct timing to the motor it won't work. I have had that issue and my vendor replaced it. some with automatic timing don't work well. it depends on number of magnets and esc timing.

Most of the time this is not an issue but I have had it happen to me.
Didn't know that...thanks for clearing up. I guess one has to prefer ESCs that have adjustable settings.
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:33 AM
Joined May 2011
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
Didn't know that...thanks for clearing up. I guess one has to prefer ESCs that have adjustable settings.
Indeed. I will say that it has only been an issue with motors that have a large number of batteries.

I have read that one has to avoid mixing sensored and non-sensored combinations as well.

With the two events excluded I have pretty much used any esc and motor combination at will with great success
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:55 AM
Fly Seaplanes
Sandy Hook, CT.
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts
Sensored motors work with Sensorless ESCs
Sensored ESCs will not run a Sensorless Motor
Fviking is offline Find More Posts by Fviking
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:41 AM
Joined May 2011
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fviking View Post
Useful info popping out like crazy.

Thanks
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:49 PM
Takeoff=Option Landing=Must
USA, NY, Depew
Joined Jan 2009
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fviking View Post
From my experience I can say they do work, but don't perform as good.
Sensored ESC with sensorless motor might cause cogging. When it happens I use throttle gently.

Rob
robusp is offline Find More Posts by robusp
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pulsar 3.2E Competition Pro
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined May 2011
1,629 Posts
At Last

Finally flew the lightweight funcub. Winds were a little hight here for a test flight with so much change.

I estimate a 7 ounce reduction from the power 15 setup with 2 ounces of tail weights and a 3300 battery. The motor is a little light (a plastic 480 built for a glider) and that might change. Glides are beautiful and loops are gentle and scale. Rolls better too with a lower wing loading. Full flaps and the light weight put zero stress on the landing gear.

Sweet!
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
800 Posts
What should be the average weight ? My new build is now 1300 grams with a 3300 Nano-Tech.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined May 2011
1,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
What should be the average weight ? My new build is now 1300 grams with a 3300 Nano-Tech.
I don't have a good weight on mine as I didn't build it and I haven't weighed it. The listed build weight with the recommended parts is 1130 grams or 40 oz.

Mine came with a power 15 and a 3300 battery. The motor was so heavy that close to 2 oz were added to the nose and the battery was close to all the way back. I leaped off the ground in less that a foot but I didn't want that heavy a plane and I wanted the Power 15 for my F4U Corsair which uses the power quite well. The Cub wing, in my opinion prefers a light wing loading.

The variety of choices you see in this thread and the beutiful build are a tribute to the design.

1300 sounds good to me. Go have some fun.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined May 2011
1,629 Posts
Has anyone changed the wing from a one part back to a two part wing? I could use the transport space.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 06:16 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
No need for a 3300 mah battery either, if you looking for a lightweight setup use an 1800 or 2200 mah battery. I fly mine low and slow and it can easily fly for 8 minutes or more without issue.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:58 AM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
535 Posts
My FC weighs in at 1050g when fitted with a 2200mah lipo.

Flying mostly low and slow but with the occasional loop and roll thrown in for a bit of fun, I easily get 2 flights of 7 1/2 minutes per lipo with plently to spare.

steve.
stevespana is online now Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Has anyone changed the wing from a one part back to a two part wing? I could use the transport space.
I thought about converting my EasyCub wing to a FunCub wing after it had already had the spars glued in and it did not seem to be worth the hassle. If you initially glued your FC wings together well enough that they wouldn't come apart in flight, you will have a heck of a time getting the spars out without pulling out a lot of foam, too.

Buying another wing set may be a better alternative.
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones