HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
Yea, i'll keep the motors and just throw the ESC out . What esc do you suggest?

How are the Maytech ones?
I've been using Maytech 40A ESCs in several models for three seasons with excellent results. No problems at all.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:34 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,333 Posts
ZTW is what i have in all my planes, not sure if they are available easily where your at though. (they are the OEM for many other manufacturers including Hacker)

You can also look into hobbywing stuff as well.
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
627 Posts
@ Shadow... no hobbywing.. i have a hobbywing in there atm and its RUBBISH!!! lol.
pokiou is online now Find More Posts by pokiou
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Aug 2012
6 Posts
I am building a new FC with a Hacker A30-16M. I have both a HK Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and a Hobbywing Flyfun 40A ESC. Reading a few of these threads begs the question of if either one of these ESC's will work with the Hacker Motor, or do I need The Hacker X-40 SB Pro? Are there problems with the ESC's that are not Hacker?

Thanks for anyhelp,
Terry
Terry6640 is offline Find More Posts by Terry6640
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I use hobbywing esc's in several of my planes and they are fine, just buy them from a dealer that stands behind their products.

Got my LEDS hooked up and running, man took some time today to lay it all out. Used thin magnet wire to run to the leds. Looks good! Put a blue light on the rear for orientation with the standard nav lights minus strobes.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:18 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I Got my LEDS hooked up and running, man took some time today to lay it all out. Used thin magnet wire to run to the leds. Looks good! Put a blue light on the rear for orientation with the standard nav lights minus strobes.
talk is cheap post some pix
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:28 PM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
627 Posts
Awesome just walked into the office and my new gear arrived. Aeolian 3536 1000kv motor with the 60a esc and program card HOPEFULLY... this will cure all my problems :P
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:16 AM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Nice gear. Can't find it. A link to it? OK Thanks, Don't know why it didn't come up in the search?
And not a bad price. I probably have $12 in Music Wire plus shipping.
And Yes I believe the Foam is a tree magnet.
Tree Magnet? Try concrete! My depth perception leaves a little room for improvement. I wa flying my Stryker nice and easy in a turn preparing for a high speed run. Low and nice. All of a sudden the light pole jumped 10 feet and flack!

Did you know batteries can fly?
Rickflaguy is online now Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:31 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry6640 View Post
I am building a new FC with a Hacker A30-16M. I have both a HK Turnigy Plush 40A ESC and a Hobbywing Flyfun 40A ESC. Reading a few of these threads begs the question of if either one of these ESC's will work with the Hacker Motor, or do I need The Hacker X-40 SB Pro? Are there problems with the ESC's that are not Hacker?

Thanks for anyhelp,
Terry
I have a 16m in a 3D plane with a CC ice 50, not sure if you will be using the motor in the same type of conditions as in a 3D plane. I would think you should be able to go with a 40 amp. I think a CC T-Bird 54 would work well also and its a little cheeper than the Ice.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:04 AM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
627 Posts
Just installed the new ESC and motor.. my problems are all gone!!! FINALLY... im so happy.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:04 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
Tree Magnet? Try concrete! My depth perception leaves a little room for improvement. I wa flying my Stryker nice and easy in a turn preparing for a high speed run. Low and nice. All of a sudden the light pole jumped 10 feet and flack!

Did you know batteries can fly?
Yes I did
I say tree magnet, because around my house there are only 7 trees in a half mile around me in this barren prairie.
And my plane has caught every one of them, all more than once.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Just installed the new ESC and motor.. my problems are all gone!!! FINALLY... im so happy.
YeeeeHaw! Me too! Did you try the new ESC with the motor that was in it when it was failing? That would have proven that that motor is just fine, and that you could take a very heavy hammer to that Pentium 40 ESC for causing you all this trouble.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:48 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry6640 View Post

Thanks for anyhelp,
Terry
You probably don't need the Hacker ESC, which is fairly pricey. The way to find out if your ESC is compatible is to try it. Prop it so that it should pull in the area of the motor's maximum amp rating at full throttle. Then open the throttle abruptly from around half throttle. If the ESC is not compatible with the motor there will be an loud, ugly sounding, squeal and the motor may even sort of buck or stutter. If it does any of that try a different ESC. I would think that ZTW ESCs would work fine since they make the Hacker ESCs. With my Hacker motor (the A30-28S V2) and the Plush ESC the problem occurred no matter what timing I tried. But the same Plush ESC worked fine with other motors. Sort of like putting low test gas in a high compression motor. The low test gas works fine in a lower compression motor and the high compression motor works fine with high test gas. Neither is defective, but they don't work together.

BTW Terry, if you are in the US, and want to try ZTW, look at Quantum Hobby. Very quick service, reasonable price and shipping. http://www.quantumhobby.com/category-s/685.htm

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,609 Posts
Quote:
ESC/Motor compatibility can be tricky and a bad ESC can be truly frustrating. The best solution is find a supplier that recomends a matching ESC so at least you start with something that should be compatible.

I have had good luck in general with this because my supplier recomends proven mixes and provides excellent customer service.

HK has never proven to be a good source due to the high cost of shipping and the lack of quality support.

You may find this is not true in your country.

I would bet there is a good internet based hobby suplier in your country. Find one and stick to them like glue.
Rickflaguy is online now Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:28 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
736 Posts
I think all ESCs are compatible to all motors, as long as they both share the same specs (ie Brushless ESC for brushless motor, Amperage, operating volts). Just read the specs of both, and ask in rcg to double-check.

One possible issue is when the connectors do not match (happens even if both have bullets of the same diameter). A good practice is to pick a favorite connector, and use it in all your ESC&motors (of the same class). I use the HobbyKing bullet connectors of EC3 plugs for all my 30Amp-50Amp applications. Just get a soldering iron and get used to working with it
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31