HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:44 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
@pmpjohn Nice...looks like you added struts and Guidewires too ...wish I had seen theese sooner...I would have poped for a pair....did the axel come with the gear?
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Last edited by Weed89; Nov 11, 2012 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
This is the replacment gear for the E Flight Super Cub 25e. All of $17.00 from HH. The three pieces marked with red arrows need to be shortened and redrilled to fit the narrower FC fuse. I embedded two pieces of maple motor mount stock across the fuse to screw the gear to. I also openned the bungee cover and removed one of the "O" rings for better action on the lighter FC.

John
Do you have to cut and weld those pieces?
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:50 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
The axles were shown in the pics on HHs site but were not in the package. I used 4mm bolts for axles.

The three pieces pointed out in the pic needed to be cut shorter and redrilled but no welding was required. A bit tricky cross drilling stainless tube that small in diameter. Even useing a drill press and a "V" block I had to file a small flat to get the hole started in the center.

It's a shame that she was last seen sitting in a tree top at the Triple Tree Aerodrome.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:48 AM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
I'm about to throw out this motor and esc and just buy the power pack.

Pulsing motor still no idea why!!! (0 min 29 sec)
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:10 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Have you tried a smaller diam' prop? tried different esc timings ?
if you have then look for a bad connection and sometimes can be internal motor windings shorting out.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:20 AM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
Yea, I've tried all different props.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:46 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZjlmv65jk
Mate, if you feel like a drive down my way this weekend, we can swap components between our FunCubs to isolate your fault. Mine runs great with the power pack motor (HiMax) and a 60A Plush ESC.

Send me a PM if you're interested, Aus.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:41 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,513 Posts
Quote:
Yea, I've tried all different props.
In that case I would borrow an esc and try that.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:28 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
This is the replacment gear for the E Flight Super Cub 25e. All of $17.00 from HH. The three pieces marked with red arrows need to be shortened and redrilled to fit the narrower FC fuse. I embedded two pieces of maple motor mount stock across the fuse to screw the gear to. I also openned the bungee cover and removed one of the "O" rings for better action on the lighter FC.

John
Nice gear. Can't find it. A link to it? OK Thanks, Don't know why it didn't come up in the search?
And not a bad price. I probably have $12 in Music Wire plus shipping.
And Yes I believe the Foam is a tree magnet.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Last edited by Flybynight2; Nov 12, 2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Mate, if you feel like a drive down my way this weekend, we can swap components between our FunCubs to isolate your fault. Mine runs great with the power pack motor (HiMax) and a 60A Plush ESC.

Send me a PM if you're interested, Aus.
Point cook? That's a fair drive . However i might have to take you up on that offer .
Old Nov 12, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Nice gear. Can't find it. A link to it?
And not a bad price. I probably have $12 in Music Wire plus shipping.
And Yes I believe the Foam is a tree magnet.
here is the link

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-25e-EFL460016
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZZjlmv65jk
I did not see the voltage dropping to 8.x volts as you had mentioned earlier. Or anything at all under 11 volts. Different battery? In any case, if you want to throw out the motor, go ahead. But the problem really is the ESC. Please do throw it out, put in one that works and get on with flying.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:20 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

John
That looks like the answer to me. Although I am happy with the stock gear I really like the looks of that set up. Do you happen to recall what it weighs? There is no mention of that on the Horizon site.

Regards,
Gord
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:34 PM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
I did not see the voltage dropping to 8.x volts as you had mentioned earlier. Or anything at all under 11 volts. Different battery? In any case, if you want to throw out the motor, go ahead. But the problem really is the ESC. Please do throw it out, put in one that works and get on with flying.

Regards,
Gord
Yea, i'll keep the motors and just throw the ESC out . What esc do you suggest?

How are the Maytech ones?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Yea, i'll keep the motors and just throw the ESC out . What esc do you suggest?

How are the May tech ones?
I am afraid I don't know about Maytech, but one of the first pages I read after searching on them has an interesting statement in red a few lines from the top of the page. Looks like they might be pretty good! http://montorc.com/mt30abec.aspx

For the most part I have only used the Plush series from Hobby King in multiple sizes. No problems with them normally, but they were not compatible with a Hacker motor due to timing problems. Also a Hacker X-40 SB Pro (works great with that Hacker motor), and a few ZTW brand, which might be hard to find, but are good. I will be using them from here on unless I run into some problems. The only one I have had really bad experiences with is the Hobby Wing Pentium 40. One of them could not get any motor turning, even without any prop. They just vibrated and made noise.The other did exactly what your is doing. The really odd thing is that the Plush series from HK, that I have had no trouble with at all, is supposed to be made by Hobby Wing. So maybe Hobby Wing just had a bad series of the Pentium 40. Don't know, but they were the only Hobby Wing brand ESCs I have ever tried and they didn't work. As a result I will not be using any further Hobby Wing.

Regards,
Gord
Last edited by Gordks; Nov 12, 2012 at 05:32 PM.