HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:54 PM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
625 Posts
cheers mate. Pitty all the hobby shops are closed today lazy bastards lol!
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:52 AM
Registered User
Netherlands
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Some flying with the funcub.

It was a little foggy this morning..

Funcub flying in the fog (1 min 50 sec)
Roel_Netherlands is offline Find More Posts by Roel_Netherlands
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:04 AM
DS will change your life
SpeedsterDEN's Avatar
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,565 Posts
Towing

My Funcup towing my scratchbuild BMF 4,85 meter 6 kg glider at its maiden flight.



Funcup towing a 4,85 meter glider. (0 min 54 sec)


Cheers
S
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:30 PM
Registered User
Weed89's Avatar
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwester View Post
This spring system has been great, linking them in front of the LG keeps them straight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBW5Wl8Z62Q
Real Nice Idea..I use a piece of wire looped from left to right...BUT Where do you get a spring aprox. that size?? not from any hoby shops around my neck of the woods
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Weed89's Avatar
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsudriver274 View Post
Couldn't help myself upgraded the funcub a little. Purchased some parts from morgan mill and some trexler 4 1/2" inflatable ballon tires, stoked to fly her some more.

Lol $30.00 trex tires?? PICTURES Please
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:44 PM
Registered User
Weed89's Avatar
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Ok...returned the Spy HAwk <b.day present..and had a bad servo> And Got My Fun Cub...with the motor.esc package.....love the way this flys...and think it might be a good Mild aerobatic trainer ..This fourm has a zillion post..hard to catch up
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:12 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
currently have,

Hobbywing Pentium 40a
Turnigy 3530/14
Prop: 13x4

cheers
Higher kv means higher amps especially with a 3 cell.

Your motor is maxed at 22 amps and with 1100 kv you're likely drawing quite a bit more than 22 amps. The esc is saving the motor.

Best buy I've make is a low cost watt meter. Takes the guesswork out and saves motors and ESCs too. Take the advice on the prop. If you want big props and thrust, drop way down on the pitch and get a slow fly.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
Real Nice Idea..I use a piece of wire looped from left to right...BUT Where do you get a spring aprox. that size?? not from any hoby shops around my neck of the woods
I found the springs at lowes. Not sure what their intended use is. Just make sure they are pretty stiff. I used fishing swivels epoxied to the landing gear and connected on the other end with a fishing ring.
Zwester is offline Find More Posts by Zwester
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:36 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
625 Posts
Hey guys,

I've decided to go for a 11x7 which i'm picking up tonight. Only problem or concern i have is that it's drawing close to max amp.

With this setup My motor has a max 315W and with the new prop it will be pulling 311.5

Should i be concerned or is it in the safe zone still ?
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:30 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
625 Posts
I went safe mode... bought the 11x5.5 prop HOPE it works just as well
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 05:37 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,604 Posts
Have you checked all solder joints?

Your motor is rated max at 22 amps. 311.5 at 12.4 volts is 25 amps. When you heat up a motor the resistance increases. The voltage drops and the amps go even higher and you go into voltage cut-off. I would try a 3.8 slow fly pitch
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:42 AM
Registered User
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
625 Posts
Yea checked the solder joints all fine with no issues. That prop didn't work either. I've using this application/site:
http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

So far i have two options. Change motor or yet buy another prop lol :P, whats weird for me is that i copied someone elses build exactly the same and his one doesn't pulse
pokiou is offline Find More Posts by pokiou
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:08 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
Yea checked the solder joints all fine with no issues. That prop didn't work either. I've using this application/site:
http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

So far i have two options. Change motor or yet buy another prop lol :P, whats weird for me is that i copied someone elses build exactly the same and his one doesn't pulse
Without a watt meter it is impossible to say.

Have you double checde the model of the friend's motor. The same motor comes in several kvs

Could you have your friend check your esc by swapping it out?

Do you have another motor you could try? Some motors come broken from the factory.

If you can't diagnose like this it is a gamble. Buy new stuff until it works or get a watt meter to chek draw. Watt meter is worth it in the end.

Here's a cheap one for 21.95
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...t-Meter/Detail
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:09 PM
Registered User
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiou View Post
Yea checked the solder joints all fine with no issues. That prop didn't work either. I've using this application/site:
http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm

So far i have two options. Change motor or yet buy another prop lol :P, whats weird for me is that i copied someone elses build exactly the same and his one doesn't pulse
There is a third option. Try another ESC. You know you will eventually need it for one plane or another anyway. But don't buy Hobbywing Pentium 40a escs from eBay at what seems like too good to be true prices. I did and two out of two were bad. Mine came from Goodluckbuy. I should have known better looking at that name.

I ordered this (http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-A-Se...ztw40asbec.htm) to replace the garbage Hobbywings. It is a heck of a good ESC. It was shipped within an hour of my ordering and I had it in three days on the west coast. Quantum Hobby is about as far east as you can get and stay dry. I had read good reviews of ZTW ESCs and am happy to say I agree with them. BTW, the price has gone down about $4 since I ordered mine.

Your ESC is not doing this to protect your motor. If your motor were overheating it might bind up, but you would likely see smoke before it did. Your ESC should supply as much current to your motor as your battery can supply. The ESC doesn't care if your motor can't handle it . If your battery were sagging your ESC might get into low voltage cutoff, but if it did it would not pulse. It would either reduce power a lot or completely stop the motor depending on how you had the ESC's LVC set. To get it to come back on you would have to go to closed throttle and then open it up again.

Regards,
Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:26 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
There is a third option. Try another ESC. You know you will eventually need it for one plane or another anyway. But don't buy Hobbywing Pentium 40a escs from eBay at what seems like too good to be true prices. I did and two out of two were bad. Mine came from Goodluckbuy. I should have known better looking at that name.

I ordered this (http://www.quantumhobby.com/ZTW-A-Se...ztw40asbec.htm) to replace the garbage Hobbywings. It is a heck of a good ESC. It was shipped within an hour of my ordering and I had it in three days on the west coast. Quantum Hobby is about as far east as you can get and stay dry. I had read good reviews of ZTW ESCs and am happy to say I agree with them. BTW, the price has gone down about $4 since I ordered mine.

Your ESC is not doing this to protect your motor. If your motor were overheating it might bind up, but you would likely see smoke before it did. Your ESC should supply as much current to your motor as your battery can supply. The ESC doesn't care if your motor can't handle it . If your battery were sagging your ESC might get into low voltage cutoff, but if it did it would not pulse. It would either reduce power a lot or completely stop the motor depending on how you had the ESC's LVC set. To get it to come back on you would have to go to closed throttle and then open it up again.

Regards,
Gord
I have had good luck with these
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...-30-Amp/Detail

HURC mails the same day for $2.00. Based in Florida and they have been very responsive to service questions. If you click on multiplex and look at the parts recomended you get something they built and tested. Most of the motors have recomended props with data. I have found their data checks out.

BTW I agree with the ESC rec with the caveat that the motor could be drwing way more if it is faulty causing shutdown.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 04:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 09:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 09:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 10:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 11:02 AM