HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:54 AM
USA, MI, Coloma
Joined Aug 2010
23 Posts
Softer same size wheels

Hi I'm new to the funcub. Is or has someone ever changed the big hard foam wheels to a softer same size wheel that is a soft foam wheel so it will absorb the hard surface and not bounce so bad on hard surfaces and handle better.

Thanks;
Doug
Donut1 is offline Find More Posts by Donut1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:29 AM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut1 View Post
Hi I'm new to the funcub. Is or has someone ever changed the big hard foam wheels to a softer same size wheel that is a soft foam wheel so it will absorb the hard surface and not bounce so bad on hard surfaces and handle better.

Thanks;
Doug
Hi Doug,
well I've been thinking about that one too but haven't succeeded in finding a pair here (Netherlands). Guess the issue will be the weight...don't know.
Would be great though if it is possible, just change the wheels and done, (whenever road landing is needed).
Greeting and enjoy your FC
Boreel is offline Find More Posts by Boreel
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:35 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreel View Post
Hi Doug,
well I've been thinking about that one too but haven't succeeded in finding a pair here (Netherlands). Guess the issue will be the weight...don't know.
Would be great though if it is possible, just change the wheels and done, (whenever road landing is needed).
Greeting and enjoy your FC
Trexler makes very good wheels and tires for the FC. They are lite and very soft and work great, but they are very heavy on your wallet.
http://www.trexlerballoonwheel.com/
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:23 AM
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2003
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Trexler makes very good wheels and tires for the FC. They are lite and very soft and work great, but they are very heavy on your wallet.
http://www.trexlerballoonwheel.com/
Rn
Ouch! Trexlers used to be reasonable. I sold a Speedy Bee kit a while back and threw in the Trexler's I had for it as a bonus, not knowing they were gold.
The Speedy Bee was kind of a bush plane itself and I recall Andy Clancy offering some extra heavy duty Trexlers which i bought. The Speedy Bee also used an inflatable tailwheel and some folks even added RC buggy shocks to the landing gear.
RGose is offline Find More Posts by RGose
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:27 AM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut1 View Post

Thanks;
Doug

A few months back someone posted a link to some Hobby King tires that fit the FC. I bought some, but I decided to leave the stock ones on because the HK tires are a little narrower, and the hole in the wheel is a mm or two bigger than the stock wheel. I didn't feel like shimming the the HK wheel to make it fit.

FWIW, I have come to appreciate the stock tundra tires. They are intended for rough surfaces and they handle them well. I also bought material to modify the landing gear, but while procrastinating, I just flew the crap out of the FC and now I don't see the need. After a while I just learned to takeoff and land with a minimum of ground loops and bouncing.
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Old Oct 13, 2012, 01:17 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,609 Posts
My Fun Cub has an eflite power 15. The builder says the way he eliminated the vibrations is by "glassing" inside the cowl with fiberglass cloth and thin CA.

I want to downgrade the power set. What would be an acceptable motor for the Fun Cub. If I want fast I can go to the Stryker. Looking for thrust and lighter weigh. Something I can drive with a lighter 1300 batt.

Let me know if I am heading in the wrong direction bur it just seems way too heavy with a 15 and 3300 batts.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
My Fun Cub has an eflite power 15. The builder says the way he eliminated the vibrations is by "glassing" inside the cowl with fiberglass cloth and thin CA.

I want to downgrade the power set. What would be an acceptable motor for the Fun Cub. If I want fast I can go to the Stryker. Looking for thrust and lighter weigh. Something I can drive with a lighter 1300 batt.

Let me know if I am heading in the wrong direction bur it just seems way too heavy with a 15 and 3300 batts.
Have a look at the Fun Cub floor stiffener kit here if you want to easily reinforce your firewall & engine mount: http://morganmill.com/RC/FunCub_Parts.html
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:58 PM
Joined Oct 2011
12 Posts
Another video of tonight´s flight in the dark. It´s fantastic.

FunCub Leds 2 (3 min 54 sec)
Banhas is offline Find More Posts by Banhas
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:44 PM
Joined Jan 2007
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post

The stock motor is:

Brushless Out Runner
KV:840
Watts:200
Size D x L:28 x 33 mm
Weight:79 g

This is with a 13x4 prop requires 30 amps on 3 cell

A good 1500 should pull it, or prop down to 12x4 for less draw. Thia is a lower cost alt.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the....8oz%2C/Detail
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Oct 13, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
The stock motor is:

Brushless Out Runner
KV:840
Watts:200
Size D x L:28 x 33 mm
Weight:79 g

This is with a 13x4 prop requires 30 amps on 3 cell

A good 1500 should pull it, or prop down to 12x4 for less draw. Thia is a lower cost alt.

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the....8oz%2C/Detail
What about one of HURCs 480s?
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:45 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Ok, I don't know what the stock motor weighs. Some people say 79g, some people say 134g. Which one is it?
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Ok, I don't know what the stock motor weighs. Some people say 79g, some people say 134g. Which one is it?
Well if you are talking about the one that comes in the Multiplex Power Kit which I would call stock it is the 134 g. from what I've read. I was curious about that myself.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:56 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Yeah, because I thought I saw 79g somewhere.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:48 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
846 Posts
it is for sure 134g's. I looked up the manufacture specs.
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Coburg
Joined Oct 2007
627 Posts
Hey guys,

I was curious can i run a 2s 1550mah 25c battery on my funcub? Other then low flight times what else should i look out for ?
pokiou is online now Find More Posts by pokiou