HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:03 AM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Speaking of hot melt glue, I have always been conservative and used low temp hot melt glue (I know, low temp hot melt...it's like jumbo shrimp; doesn't sound right) on Elapor (and Depron)

Is high tempo/standard hot melt OK for Elapor ?

Also, for those who use CA to mount servos, use caution. You would be surprised where too much (thin) CA can go ... I've heard of servo cases being glued together and glue getting into gears and servo bearings/bushings....
high temp will kinda melt the foam. i use low temp and it works great. i wouldnt worry. and i never use thin CA on anything but building balsa models! if i do CA servos in, i use x-tra thick CA.
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
Nope just some good sticky painters tape will do. and make sure to wrap around the servos a few times.
What is the pupose of the tape, to keep the glue off the servo case?
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Oct 12, 2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:50 AM
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
What is the pupose of the tape, to keep the glue off the servo case?
yeah and it wont tear up the plane when you try and remove the servo. Its just a clean way of installing them... and you will eventually be glad you put them in this way!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:24 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
With a cg slightly forward or equal to 70 mm I "feel" like it is a little too nose heavy. Can some of you chip in your experiences with moving back some and how much?
I fly mine 65 to 70mm without issue flies inverted fine as well with barely a touch of down elevator so not nose heavy.

I have heard of tip stalling with a CoG near the 80mm mentioned in manual.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:33 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Motor Mount Questions?

My FC kit came with an aluminum motor mount/firewall plate. Is there any good reason to use this alternative aluminum motor mount: http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...&product_id=54

Should I somehow beef up the firewall/motor mounts before I install the motor mount setup? Should I use epoxy on the rail mounts?

Thank you!
Last edited by itsme2; Oct 12, 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:04 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Is Foam Tac suitable for building the FC especially joining the fuselage halves?

Thank you!
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:26 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
I fly mine 65 to 70mm without issue flies inverted fine as well with barely a touch of down elevator so not nose heavy.

I have heard of tip stalling with a CoG near the 80mm mentioned in manual.
you'll want alot of power if you want the CG that far back.but the plane will do 3D flying that why, hence the power
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Is Foam Tac suitable for building the FC especially joining the fuselage halves?

Thank you!
Use medium CA. thats the best. nothing else glues elapor better than medium CA. and dont use the foam safe ca. just regular. and the smallparts mount just has holes drilled for MULTIPLE motors. the stock aluminum mount is for the power combo sold by multiplex. but the stock should do fine.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2011
519 Posts
Just a quick tip based on my experience building the FC. Spray one side of the fuselage with CA kicker and let it dry completely. Then put medium CA on the other half, join and brace the 2 together. I suggest the use of the kicker because I tried gluing the motor mount rails in without kicker and like half an hour later the CA still hadn't set up. If you let the kicker dry on the one half before joining them you will have some time to adjust and reposition the 2 halves before it sets up.
Starving Bushman is online now Find More Posts by Starving Bushman
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
I just went to Hobby King to order my motor, servos, ESC and BEC plus some other items.

The HS-82MG and HXT-900 servos recommended here are on back order. Can anyone recommend good alternatives from HK, I don't mind paying a little more?

Trying to do a quality build.

Thank you!
Last edited by itsme2; Oct 12, 2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
I just went to Hobby King to order my motor, servos, ESC and BEC plus some other items.

The HS-82MG and HXT-900 servos recommended here are on back order. Can anyone recommend good alternatives from HK, I don't mind paying a little more?

I'm using a 1000KV motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18228 Is a 60 amp ESC ok? HK has a 60 amp Turnigy Plush ESC that weighs about the same as the 40 amp. Going to use a BEC too.

Thank you!
Just get some HS-55's from your local hobby shop. and they should have some HS-82's as well.. any hobby shop seems to always have those servos in stock.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:24 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
408 Posts
Undercarrige Bracket Help

I am looking for an "Undercarrige Bracket" - mine has developed cracking in 2 spots and is on it's last legs (no pun intended .....).

I was hoping one of you with a modified/custom undercarrige would have their stock piece unused and laying around, and would be able to throw it my way.

Please PM me if you can help - it wold be greatly appreciated !
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Oct 12, 2012, 03:35 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:

Thank you!
if you are going for quality go with HS 65mg on the ailerons and tail and HS65 on flaps.

If you like digital and dont like hightec's Futaba 3156 are sweet, a little priceie but sweet!
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
Joined Jan 2007
534 Posts
Quote:

Thank you!
Here is what I ordered for my latest FC build:

Code Description Qty STATUS

G15-950 Turnigy G15 Brushless Outrunner 950kv 1 Reserved
TST-BEC45A TURNIGY TRUST 45A SBEC Brushless Speed Contr 1 Reserved
TST-SBECPG Turnigy Trust SBEC Programming Card 1 Reserved
HXT900 HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servo 5 Reserved
SSV-9315 SSV 9315 Mabuchi 15.5g / 3.2kg / .15sec Serv 2 Reserved
APC11x5.5-E APC style propeller 11x5.5-E 2 Reserved
APC10x5-E APC style propeller 10x5-E 2 Reserved
APC12x6-E APC style propeller 12x6-E 2 Reserved
Z26503S-30 ZIPPY Flightmax 2650mAh 3S1P 30C 2 Reserved
601Ax5 Male XT60 connectors (5pcs/bag) GENUINE 1 Reserved
601Bx5 Female XT60 connectors (5pcs/bag) GENUINE 1 Reserved
OR002-01205 Alloy E-Prop Spinners AC378 5mm to 8mm 2 Reserved

The SSV-9315 are a tight fit but work for the rudder and elevator.

The power system will do 3 or 4 cell. The assortment of props allows for some experimenting.

On 4 cell with the 11x5.5 it is awesome

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlynch View Post
I am looking for an "Undercarrige Bracket" - mine has developed cracking in 2 spots and is on it's last legs (no pun intended .....).

I was hoping one of you with a modified/custom undercarrige would have their stock piece unused and laying around, and would be able to throw it my way.

Please PM me if you can help - it wold be greatly appreciated !
Don't laugh.....well it is OK. Get some white seam binding tape. A sewing box would be a good place to look or the sewing aisle at wallyworld. Then cut it in a size to cover both sides of the cracks or wrap it is even better and then use thin CA and you have a light version of fiberglass tape. It will flex but probably will not break. You might also have to iron the folds out of the tape to get it flat enough to use. It is amazing what you can do with heavy duty thread and CA also.

Just ordered mine from Horizon (retirement gift certificates) and the motor, esc, prop, other misc from Heads Up Rc. Now if I ever get it built.
LcJ is offline Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad