HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:51 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
Can a novice with no real model airplane building experience assemble a Fun Cub easy enough, are the instructions that come with it clear and complete? I know how to use CA and hand tools and have been flying ARF/RTF foamies for some time now but have never put together a kit from scratch. I've been waiting (and waiting) for the receiver ready Fun Cub, I'm tired of waiting.

Thank you!
As for a kit its about as easy as they come. Servo set ups the most work.
This would prob be easy to start with
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2012, 10:52 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
New video... dont mind the beggining... i sound really annoying.

Pecan Patch fly in gopro (4 min 52 sec)
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Last edited by knifeedge63; Oct 05, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:37 PM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Can a novice with no real model airplane building experience assemble a Fun Cub easy enough,, are the instructions that come with it clear and complete? I know how to use CA and hand tools and have been flying ARF/RTF foamies for some time now but have never put together a kit from scratch. I've been waiting (and waiting) for the receiver ready Fun Cub, I'm tired of waiting.

Thank you!
Quote:
Can a novice with no real model airplane building experience assemble a Fun Cub easy enough, are the instructions that come with it clear and complete? I know how to use CA and hand tools and have been flying ARF/RTF foamies for some time now but have never put together a kit from scratch. I've been waiting (and waiting) for the receiver ready Fun Cub, I'm tired of waiting.

Thank you!
No problem at all. If you can double post a question on RCGroups, you can build a FunCub.

Seriously, you'll be fine. I would actually recommend you assemble one instead of buying a RX ready one (if you were able). If unsure of a step, just post a question here.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:54 AM
Joined Jan 2007
536 Posts
Quote:

Thank you!
What part of TN are you from. I am 60 miles south of Nashville. Perhaps we can have a FunCub flyin.

First go to the multiplex web site and download the manual in English as a .pfd. This will allow you to zoom in on the pictures.

The manual has some translation issues.

Setting up the flaps requires that the servos be in the flaps up position, not centered.

The motor down thrust is set by the picture. Ignore the words.

The tail wheel sucks. Buy a DuBro or equiv.

The plastic motor mount is a problem with other than the stock motor. It vibrates a lot and only allows one motor mounting hole spacing. The Mpx aluminum mount solves the vibration, but not the mounting. Go with the small parts alum mount. It will allow many different motors to be mounted.

Reinforce the main gear. Everyone here seems to have their own idea on this.

It is after all a foam kit. No balsa bits and tissue to cover, so it is a lot easier than a conventional kit.

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:42 AM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
What part of TN are you from. I am 60 miles south of Nashville. Perhaps we can have a FunCub flyin.

First go to the multiplex web site and download the manual in English as a .pfd. This will allow you to zoom in on the pictures.

Setting up the flaps requires that the servos be in the flaps up position, not centered.

The plastic motor mount is a problem with other than the stock motor. It vibrates a lot and only allows one motor mounting hole spacing. The Mpx aluminum mount solves the vibration, but not the mounting. Go with the small parts alum mount. It will allow many different motors to be mounted.

It is after all a foam kit. No balsa bits and tissue to cover, so it is a lot easier than a conventional kit.

Anton
Anton,

Thanks for the input!

I'm about 40 miles south of Knoxville, fly-in +1.

I would like to use quality parts: What motor, ESC, BEC and servos should I get? Should I avoid the "Completion Kit" : http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...52kAtA#t4-KITS

I'll get the metal MPX motor mount, (what is "the small parts alum mount" you mention?).

Does anyone have the Dubro tailwheel part number?

Do the control surfaces need hinges to be installed, I've never done that before?

What else do I need?
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Oct 06, 2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:44 AM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Small parts cnc mount:

http://smallpartscnc.com/index.php?r...&product_id=54
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:52 AM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
201 Posts
bubbleman,
I am sure that there have also been some issues with the Centre of Gravity given as 80mm from the leading edge of the wing as in diagram 31 of the manual.
Has any one any comments?
Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post

Anton
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:19 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Should I avoid the "Completion Kit" : http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...52kAtA#t4-KITS

I'll get the metal MPX motor mount, (what is "the small parts alum mount" you mention?).

Does anyone have the Dubro tailwheel part number?

Do the control surfaces need hinges to be installed, I've never done that before?

What else do I need?
You don't "need" a tail wheel and reinforced gear set. Fly the plane as it was intended. You can always modify it later if you desire. You'll experience and learn more starting at the basics and implementing modifications later.

Aside from the expense, I have only read positive comments on the power pack. The motor manufacturer is tops in quality. The designer of the Fun Cub said this about the power pack. The Fun Cub designer prefers this setup and uses it in the following video with 3s 950mAh battery.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
536 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotony View Post
bubbleman,
I am sure that there have also been some issues with the Centre of Gravity given as 80mm from the leading edge of the wing as in diagram 31 of the manual.
Has any one any comments?
Tony
Tony,

Yes the c/g at 80 mm is at the rear of the range. I fly my FC with the c/g at the rear edge of the slot for the front wing spar. People who set the c/g at 80 mm report that the plane has a bad tip stall that I have never seen.

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:29 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
I swapped my Scorpion 3014 830 kv for a Turnigy 3530 1100 kv (130gr vs 80 gr). Thrust to weight is <1 so no hovering with the little one. Take offs are a bit longer, landing speed a tad slower. While that setup feels lighter especially during landing - there was noticeable less stress on the LG - I switched back to my Scorpion after a couple batteries. I missed the short takeoffs and hovering my FC. Think the lighter motor option is for those who look for a more scale flying experience.

The prop was 13x6.5 vs 11x5.5, static power was 380 watt vs 260 watt. CG is spot on the 80 mm mark with the 80gr motor vs the 65mm that I fly with my Scorpion and battery up to the front of the venting hole.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:31 PM
United States, TN
Joined Mar 2011
1,405 Posts
Can anyone comment on where to get the best availalbe float kit for the FC? I would prefer a kit that is ready to install and comes off easily to reinstall wheels.

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:33 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Can anyone comment on where to get the best availalbe float kit for the FC? I would prefer a kit that is ready to install and comes off easily to reinstall wheels.

Thank you!
the stock kit made by Multiplex works well.
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:56 PM
Southern MN USA
Joined Jun 2012
365 Posts
here's mine.we have had alot of fun with it.i used a g-15 motor with a 13x4 prop 2200mah batterys 40 amp esc and a cc 10 amp bec.there's alot of hours on this plane.we just used blue painters tape with krylon short cuts spray paint and it worked out fine.
fun cub "tundra express air taxi" (3 min 57 sec)
meltor is offline Find More Posts by meltor
Last edited by meltor; Oct 07, 2012 at 10:58 PM. Reason: video
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:59 AM
The Netherlands, UT, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2012
30 Posts
Hi everyone,
first a litle intro about myself since I've joined today.
I (first name Tarkan), live in The Netherlands (Holland for some) am (soon) 42 years old.
Today I fly the Funcub (logically that I post here), the PZ micro corsair F4U, Saga wilga 2000, E-flite Blade msrx, Art tech Coota and used to (crashed it full speed nose down....) fly a F-16.
I hereby want to thank everyone with the great adivise, movies, pictures and remarks. Yep, I went through all pages and learned a lot about my Funcub.
My set up:
Turnigy motor 910 kv, 12x6 prop, 40 amp ESC,added turnigy leds and use 3S 2200 30C, 2450 20C, 250030C and 3000 20C batteries.
I totally love the plane with this set up, slow/ fast/ forgiving/ great look and flight caracteristics.
Still waiting for my floats and camera but otherwhise it's complete.
I didn't change the landing gear since I love it the way it is, especially on grass or unpaved areas, and yes it's not perfect for concrete/ asphalt landing strips but since I don't use those...
Mine came with the alu engine mount so no vibrations either.
Again thanks and I'll post some pictures and movie asap
greetings and enjoy
Boreel is offline Find More Posts by Boreel
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:59 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,859 Posts
Hey Boreel,

Welcome! and the Fun cub is a great choice of plane
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha