Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:32 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbthepilot View Post
The metal mounts are not a needed part. The plastic ones work just fine unless you put crazy power on the plane. The FC is not designed to be a fast plane, leave that for the Dogfighter. All the after market parts are great but not necesary to the flight of the plane. Do not get lost in all the mods that can be done. Build it, fly it and then decide if it needs to be modded. I am going to build a second one over the winter using many of the ideas on this thread.
I am planning on only buying the aluminum motor mount and that's it. I doubt I'm going to do any other mods.
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:02 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I am planning on only buying the aluminum motor mount and that's it. I doubt I'm going to do any other mods.
+1... thats the only mod iv done to mine, and its all it needs... i have another one for crazy experimenting
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:27 AM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbthepilot View Post
The metal mounts are not a needed part. The plastic ones work just fine unless you put crazy power on the plane. The FC is not designed to be a fast plane, leave that for the Dogfighter. All the after market parts are great but not necesary to the flight of the plane. Do not get lost in all the mods that can be done. Build it, fly it and then decide if it needs to be modded. I am going to build a second one over the winter using many of the ideas on this thread.
It's a trainer type aircraft so there are a lot of things you can't do. Yes it will loop, roll, fly inverted and some other things, but that's about it. It's more about flying low and slow, but for it to be FUN, as in a FUN cub you needs GOBS of power, well in my opinion at least It's pretty fun to do HUUUGE loops (as big as you want them) and the power to take off in 2 inches It's not fast and it will never be a fast plane, but the engine can be used for acceleration and vertical climb. Mine is 90% (guesstimate) as fast strait up as it is level at full throttle
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:44 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
Good call. I used the smallpartscnc mount based on discussions in this forum. I wasn't fully convinced (nor still am) that it is 100% required but am happy to pay a few dollars for 'insurance'. Given that the newer FunCub kits appear to now come with a metal motor mount gives me more confidence that it is required. As with every part of this hobby opinions will vary which is great .
Aus is online now Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:28 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
I think I know what your problem is. I just used a servo reverser. You will not even know it is there.
No, the horn is on backwards so the flaps can't get full difflection. Servo reversing won't help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
A sharp #11 blade. Push the foam down with the flat of the blade and work the edge against under side of the plastic bit. This will get all but the center spine. Pull on the horn and work the tip of the blade against the spine. Eventually it will come free. It is no big deal if a few bits of foam cling to the horn, just scrape them off. When re-installing, use a generous amount of med CA to fill in any gaps.
Sounds like a good technique. I'll give it a try. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
What plastic bits are you talking about?
Part number 44. They're supposed to angle back to allow full flap deflection. The original owner installed them angled forward which doesn't allow full deflection and because of the geometry they blow back quite a bit when in use.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:31 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Can someone post the spread of the landing gear at the axle as new from the box. My gear has spread and been bent back so many times I don't know what it was originally. I'd like to set it back and then reinforce it as discussed in this thread. Thanks
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:10 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
[QUOTE=
Part number 44. They're supposed to angle back to allow full flap deflection. The original owner installed them angled forward which doesn't allow full deflection and because of the geometry they blow back quite a bit when in use.[/QUOTE]

Use debonder (acetone) to debond CA installed plastic bits.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Use debonder (acetone) to debond CA installed plastic bits.
wont that attack the foam
Old Oct 04, 2012, 02:50 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Oops, replied to wrong thread.
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:11 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knifeedge63 View Post
wont that attack the foam
Not elapor.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:12 PM
Joined Feb 2011
840 Posts
Quote:
Not elapor.
OHHH YEAAHHHH I forgot elapor was amazing there for a minute.... ELAPOR ROCKS!
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:04 PM
USA, Mt, Billings
Joined Mar 2009
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheEdge View Post
Terry, I'm coming with a friend in his 37" motor home. Do we need to do anything ahead of time to reserve a spot?

Thanks.......Mark
Now THAT'S a small motorhome!! If you can sleep in there you probably get to actually ride in your Fun Cub.

Have fun at the event, I'm envious!
NOISY MUSE is offline Find More Posts by NOISY MUSE
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:15 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,009 Posts
Do you guys glue the two wing halves together or do you leave them as a 2 piece wing?
zmonster97 is online now Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Oct 04, 2012, 04:19 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
933 Posts
glued mine together, but I drive an F250. No transport problems here...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:17 PM
Drum, Pa
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Glued together. The wing flexes quite a bit. I actually had to re-glue my wing tube near the tips.
OnTheEdge is offline Find More Posts by OnTheEdge