HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:45 AM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Ok, let me give you a step by step on how I did it:

1) Glue the floor kit etc as per instructions.

2) Put the x mount on the oversized motor mount provided in the kit. Mark the 4 outer holes (where the x-mount is mounted to the firewall) with a pen. Use a drill bit in a dremel that is a bit smaller then the mounting screws that came with the engine. Since you have little space to work with have a bit of angle (towards the middle angle) on the mounting screws.

I used the stock x-mount (that was way too big for the kit), I had to cut the ends and make new mounting holes on 2 sides, but I had to have those 2 screws at an angle or I would not be able to screw them in without the screwdriver hitting the engine.

Hint: Just cut off the end of the fuselage (where the 4 "cylinders" are showing in the fuselage). It will make it a lot easier to work with.

I did the mistake of mounting the engine mount on the firedeck before installing it into the rest of the kit. By doing this the firedeck didn't go all the way back like it was suppose to, so there is a 0.5" space between the firedeck and the snap key. But used a lot of epoxy so it sits just fine.

Also the angle is good to have and you need more. You need at least one more spacer on the top of the engine or the plane will go strait up when you give full throttle If you have any more questions let me know.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Sorry for being think - but how do I attach the oversized mounting plate to the actual motor-mount that's glued to the firewall? Is it glued on, screwed on, or something else?

lenordbater is offline Find More Posts by lenordbater
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Fun Cub at Night (0 min 39 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
I added lights to mine. I no longer have to wait for sunrise.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenordbater View Post
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Sorry for being think - but how do I attach the oversized mounting plate to the actual motor-mount that's glued to the firewall? Is it glued on, screwed on, or something else?
No worries. That's just attached by epoxy. Smear it on both sides
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:52 PM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
Here are some pics:

This is what happens if you mount the motor mount to the firedeck before puttig it in place:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52848384/IMAG0605.jpg

So be sure to glue the firedeck first, then mount the pieces (for the regular motor mount), one by one (total of 4), then the extra large motor mount after that.

Engine view left side:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52848384/IMAG0603.jpg

Engine view right side:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52848384/IMAG0604.jpg

As you can see the mount is rotated left at a 45 degree angle. I did this so I could use the stock mounting holes on 2 sides.

The other 2 sides I had to cut (with a dremel) and make new mounting holes and screw the screws in at an angle. As you can see you can't hit the screws with a screwdriver if they are mounted strait ahead.

Sorry about the tape on the engine cover. It could probably be nice if I spent more time on it, but I don't really care how it looks so haven't done that So I'm just going to change out the black tape with yellow electric tape. Good enough
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Last edited by beamen; Sep 30, 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:58 PM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Here are some pics:

This is what happens if you mount the motor mount to the firedeck before puttig it in place:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52848384/IMAG0605.jpg

So be sure to glue the firedeck first, then mount the pieces (for the regular motor mount), one by one (total of 4), then the extra large motor mount after that.

Engine view left side:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52848384/IMAG0603.jpg

Engine view right side:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/52848384/IMAG0604.jpg

As you can see the mount is rotated left at a 45 degree angle. I did this so I could use the stock mounting holes on 2 sides.

The other 2 sides I had to cut (with a dremel) and make new mounting holes and screw the screws in at an angle. As you can see you can't hit the screws with a screwdriver if they are mounted strait ahead.

Sorry about the tape on the engine cover. It could probably be nice if I spent more time on it, but I don't really care how it looks so haven't done that So I'm just going to change out the black tape with yellow electric tape. Good enough
Perfect - thanks! I'll break out the dremel and have at it!
lenordbater is offline Find More Posts by lenordbater
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:49 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
649 Posts
My club had a picnic and funcub fly in yesterday. I had a blast!
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:05 AM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,360 Posts
ran out of 3s 2200mah packs at the lake this past weekend so i threw a 4s 2200mah pack in the funcub...a little over 800watts @ 56amps on a 860kv motor turning a 13x6.5 prop gets the funcub moving quite fast. I am going to have to do that more often
shadow102 is offline Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:11 AM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
328 Posts
Will the larger wheels that come stock on a Fun Cub fit on the landing gear on an Easy Cub?
overmyhead is online now Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayfaringdreamer View Post
My club had a picnic and funcub fly in yesterday. I had a blast!
Thats awesome! any other pics? Did you guys do any type contests/games with them?
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
649 Posts
I know others took pics, that's the only one I took.

We chased a combat plane trying to cut it's streamer. Also had all the funcubs take off at the same time which was fun!

It was a bit windy out which limited some of the stuff we could do.
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:13 PM
United States, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufale View Post
That looks like an awesome place to fly from I am jealous. Where are you from if I might ask.
Beancounter is online now Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:49 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead View Post
Will the larger wheels that come stock on a Fun Cub fit on the landing gear on an Easy Cub?
direct swap no problem there!
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, FL, Bradenton
Joined Jan 2012
328 Posts
Thanks
overmyhead is online now Find More Posts by overmyhead
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:18 PM
Arcee Moron
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
No, I think it's the Fun Cub motor package from Multiplex that includes an aluminum motor mount. Or that hop up mount may have been included specifically for a person doing a review.
I just bought a Fun Cup kit and it does come with the aluminium motormount as standard.
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:00 PM
Canada, ON, Carleton Place
Joined Jun 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justapoke View Post
I just bought a Fun Cup kit and it does come with the aluminium motormount as standard.
I bought my FunCub from Tower Hobbies in July and it had the plastic motor mount. Fortunately I also ordered the Hitec motor mount for US$9.99. No sign of vibration with 910 kv motor and 13x6 prop.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin