Old Sep 29, 2012, 03:35 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Does anyone know where you can get a new canopy?
Had a nose in yesterday, and I had to sand this one down, because it is out of shape. I can't seem to locate just the canopy.
THX
Jim
Paul sells them

http://www.electricwingman.com/multi...py-224138.aspx

I order parts from him quite often and the customer service and delivery are excellent.

They are backordered here..
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc...-842p16016.htm

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWDD9

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-cub-MPU224138
ltc is offline Find More Posts by ltc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2006
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmonster97 View Post
I just ordered my funcub last night! I can't wait to get it up in the air! Does the funcub now come with an aluminum motor mount?
No, I think it's the Fun Cub motor package from Multiplex that includes an aluminum motor mount. Or that hop up mount may have been included specifically for a person doing a review.
ichiban is offline Find More Posts by ichiban
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:17 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
No, I think it's the Fun Cub motor package from Multiplex that includes an aluminum motor mount. Or that hop up mount may have been included specifically for a person doing a review.
Oh, ok. I was hoping it came with it.
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Likely Stupid Questions

I've had a heck of a time trying to replicate @beamen's setup. First, I used the same gigantic Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4240-740kv motor he uses, mounted to an aluminum motor mount on the stock mounting rails. I didn't destroy - but did get some serious wobble at anything above about 1/4 throttle, and did manage to crack open my fuselage above the motor on the 2nd flight.

So - I ordered the MorganMill Floor/Stiffener kit, as well as their motor mounting kit - and there's a couple things I don't understand. I should preface these questions by saying that I've never attached a motor in this manner before - so I might well sound like an idiot.

Since the top of my cowling has come ungled, I had a bit of space to work with. So I glued the motor mount and firewall up outside of the plane - and then noticed that the motor mount wasn't at a right angle with the firewall. In fact, it was obviously slanted. I figured I'd done something idiotic, then I went back and looked at the MorganMill site, and found that this was the case in their photos as well. Illustrated here:

Intuitively, that seems bad. Won't that make my motor be not be at a right-angle with my fuselage? Isn't that not ideal?

My second question is - how do I attach my motor to the mounting plate, and then the mounting plate to the motor-mount? I know I need to reverse the direction my prop shaft is coming out of my motor, then screw my x-mount to the motor - the somehow attach the x-mount to the mounting-plate, and the plate to the motor mount - but how? Do I glue the mounting-plate to the motor-mount - and screw the x-mount to the mounting-plate? Something else?

And finally - on the topic of reversing the direction the prop-shaft comes out of my motor - I couldn't find any sort of instructions for doing this. Is that because it's a painfully obvious process - or am I at risk of messing something up horribly if I just have at it?
lenordbater is offline Find More Posts by lenordbater
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:50 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
As for the angle of the motor box that is called right angle motor thrust, most airplans have that to combat the torque of the motor and prop.

As for the motor shaft you should be able to just flip the motor around. Post a pic of the motor .
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
Joined Nov 2006
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott View Post
As for the motor shaft you should be able to just flip the motor around. Post a pic of the motor .

Ahh - thanks. It's this motor.

lenordbater is offline Find More Posts by lenordbater
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:00 PM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Ok im pritty sure that you want the motor to be inside the ply box not sticking way out front, that may cause CG prolbems. The X mount ataches to the end of the motor where the shaft sticks out, you screw the X mount to the ply and the shaft will be sticking out the front of the plane.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:40 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
I got around to replacing my bad flap servo. So after prying it out and putting on the new one I find out the servo wasn't bad, the signal wire had come loose from a bad soldering job on my harness. Oops. Just in case a servo goes bad for real next time, I used hot glue instead or ca.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:55 AM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenordbater View Post
I've had a heck of a time trying to replicate @beamen's setup. First, I used the same gigantic Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4240-740kv motor he uses, mounted to an aluminum motor mount on the stock mounting rails. I didn't destroy - but did get some serious wobble at anything above about 1/4 throttle, and did manage to crack open my fuselage above the motor on the 2nd flight.

So - I ordered the MorganMill Floor/Stiffener kit, as well as their motor mounting kit - and there's a couple things I don't understand. I should preface these questions by saying that I've never attached a motor in this manner before - so I might well sound like an idiot.

Since the top of my cowling has come ungled, I had a bit of space to work with. So I glued the motor mount and firewall up outside of the plane - and then noticed that the motor mount wasn't at a right angle with the firewall. In fact, it was obviously slanted. I figured I'd done something idiotic, then I went back and looked at the MorganMill site, and found that this was the case in their photos as well. Illustrated here:

Intuitively, that seems bad. Won't that make my motor be not be at a right-angle with my fuselage? Isn't that not ideal?

My second question is - how do I attach my motor to the mounting plate, and then the mounting plate to the motor-mount? I know I need to reverse the direction my prop shaft is coming out of my motor, then screw my x-mount to the motor - the somehow attach the x-mount to the mounting-plate, and the plate to the motor mount - but how? Do I glue the mounting-plate to the motor-mount - and screw the x-mount to the mounting-plate? Something else?

And finally - on the topic of reversing the direction the prop-shaft comes out of my motor - I couldn't find any sort of instructions for doing this. Is that because it's a painfully obvious process - or am I at risk of messing something up horribly if I just have at it?
Ok, let me give you a step by step on how I did it:

1) Glue the floor kit etc as per instructions.

2) Put the x mount on the oversized motor mount provided in the kit. Mark the 4 outer holes (where the x-mount is mounted to the firewall) with a pen. Use a drill bit in a dremel that is a bit smaller then the mounting screws that came with the engine. Since you have little space to work with have a bit of angle (towards the middle angle) on the mounting screws.

I used the stock x-mount (that was way too big for the kit), I had to cut the ends and make new mounting holes on 2 sides, but I had to have those 2 screws at an angle or I would not be able to screw them in without the screwdriver hitting the engine.

Hint: Just cut off the end of the fuselage (where the 4 "cylinders" are showing in the fuselage). It will make it a lot easier to work with.

I did the mistake of mounting the engine mount on the firedeck before installing it into the rest of the kit. By doing this the firedeck didn't go all the way back like it was suppose to, so there is a 0.5" space between the firedeck and the snap key. But used a lot of epoxy so it sits just fine.

Also the angle is good to have and you need more. You need at least one more spacer on the top of the engine or the plane will go strait up when you give full throttle If you have any more questions let me know.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:09 AM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Ohh almost forgot.

NO need to do anything to the shaft. There is an adapter in the kit.The one to the right:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20447
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:59 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit View Post
I got around to replacing my bad flap servo. So after prying it out and putting on the new one I find out the servo wasn't bad, the signal wire had come loose from a bad soldering job on my harness. Oops. Just in case a servo goes bad for real next time, I used hot glue instead or ca.
Some Forum. (Maybe this one)
Someone said to use silicone on the servo.
I have been using that since. Great.
Hobby knife cuts it out easily.

PS
Thanks for the link for the canopys
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
58 Posts
Hi all,

I just getting ready to start my Fun Cub build and I have read and searched a number of posts. I thought I'd still ask for any recommendations or thoughts. A couple of questions I have are

1. I was going to paint to increase visability, but I wanted a two color scheme. Seems like it may be a more effort than it is worth (for my flying skill level, I probably will have some crashes). For those of you who painted (full paint) would you do it again?

2. Is there mtr vibration issue? I will be using a aluminum mount.

3. Are there issues with the prop hitting the ground and bending the mtr shaft? Does this make stiffening the landing gear a must?

4. I have seen some great designs to strengthen/replace the gear, do the rubber band mods work out ok, or do you recommend piano wire back to the fuse?

I know my questions are pretty subjective, but I thought I'd ask just to get opinions. Please let me know if you have any another advice before I start.

Thanks!
hudsonflyer is offline Find More Posts by hudsonflyer
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonflyer View Post
Hi all,

I just getting ready to start my Fun Cub build and I have read and searched a number of posts. I thought I'd still ask for any recommendations or thoughts. A couple of questions I have are

1. I was going to paint to increase visability, but I wanted a two color scheme. Seems like it may be a more effort than it is worth (for my flying skill level, I probably will have some crashes). For those of you who painted (full paint) would you do it again?

3. Are there issues with the prop hitting the ground and bending the mtr shaft? Does this make stiffening the landing gear a must?
1. I would definitely paint again especially for visibility. This was posted before, but I can't find the post. Here is the link that was used on good high visibility paint schemes: http://www.jcrc.com/News/Articles/Ar...olorTheory.htm

2. There are tons of posts on motor vibration issues. Do a search for motor vibration. There are many culprits like unbalanced props, bent shafts, and many solutions.

3. Get a motor with a shaft of at least 5mm so you don't bend them easily with prop strikes or nose overs.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:26 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsonflyer View Post
Hi all,

4. I have seen some great designs to strengthen/replace the gear, do the rubber band mods work out OK, or do you recommend piano wire back to the fuse?

I know my questions are pretty subjective, but I thought I'd ask just to get opinions. Please let me know if you have any another advice before I start.

Thanks!
1.Well here is my take. I have done a two color, Just takes time.

2. I did the floorboard and X brace mod. No Vib in mine (Check earlier posts.

3.Yep. and the replacement shafts break at the groove for the clip. My earlier post I say get a 4MM drill blank from MSC. Never bent one since.

4. I used the rubber bands. Kind of help. But finally went to adding a brace running back. ( IN fact yesterday during landing I hit the side of a 3 foot ditch. The plane just bounced back into the air and dropped down into a road. No bent gear or any damage) I was glad I did the extra reinforcement.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
I added lights to mine. I no longer have to wait for sunrise.
ufale is offline Find More Posts by ufale