HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:06 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
ECOST. We fly our fun cubs in uo to 35 MPH winds, try it sometime. These planes fly great backwards. Light winds are for trainning in..lol
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
My lhs was down to one 10x5 apc or 10x5 xoar prop. I picked up the xoar prop. Balanced nicely, hub was already balanced. I'll test it with my watt meter this evening.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,505 Posts
dk31 - Σας ευχαριστούμε! (I sure hope google translate works right)! The paint scheme was copied from an actual aircraft. The landing gear is from http://www.cublandinggear.com they're nice but a bit on the heavy side (I posted weights a little ways back) and they're not cheap. I'm not sure if they ship overseas or not, but if your interested, PM me and I can probably arrange to get them to you!

wayfaringdreamer - Thanks! It took a little longer than I expected, but it's getting close! I can hardly take credit for the front end mod as I got the idea from an earlier post on this thread, my execution might be a little different though. If you want to do something similar, strongly consider GLM's stiffener kit and motor mount sets http://morganmill.com/RC/FunCub_Parts.html They're very reasonably priced, a major time saver (vs. cutting all that out yourself), and Gary's great to deal with! I would have used his set on my cub but it was released after my front end was completed. (I ordered one anyway for my 'next' FunCub)!

eddy4753 - Thanks for following along! It's my first build thread, one thing's for sure, it certainly dosen't speed up the building process! I've got a folder (digital) with 258 photos I shot for the the blog and I've used 121 at last count! Beyond the FunCub, I'd like to build a DeHavilland DH.60M Gipsy Moth one day, but I don't think I'll do a build log on it! Any and all prayers are appreciated! I'll be doing plenty of that myself in the next eight days!

~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 14, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:08 AM
Reunion
Joined Nov 2010
75 Posts
FC landing gear

Hi, Robin
Many thanks for the lot of information you provide.
About cublandinggear.com, I would like to order one, but they do not ship outside U.S. - They even do not answer the mails : why that? I do not mind the price of the shipping, of the box, I WANT ONE !!! At any price, under 200 bucks (kidding, but ...)
Could you, as you seem to know them, do something for us non U.S. residents?
Thanks a lot, and please go on innovating and creating.
Henry
Papangue is offline Find More Posts by Papangue
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:34 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papangue View Post
Hi, Robin
Many thanks for the lot of information you provide.
About cublandinggear.com, I would like to order one, but they do not ship outside U.S. - They even do not answer the mails : why that? I do not mind the price of the shipping, of the box, I WANT ONE !!! At any price, under 200 bucks (kidding, but ...)
Could you, as you seem to know them, do something for us non U.S. residents?
Thanks a lot, and please go on innovating and creating.
Henry
I emailed the guy from cublandinggear and he wouldn't even send me a photo of what the landing gear looked like on a cub ! Seems like a bit of a weirdo - his response was that if I didnt like it I could send it back but he wouldnt supply a photo !
ilium007 is offline Find More Posts by ilium007
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:58 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,505 Posts
Papangue - I'd be glad to see what I can do to help (PM sent).

ilium007 - I agree that it is somewhat of a challenge to get info on this gear! Kimber posted the first good photos of the gear in this post - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10605 and I posted some info and photos on the gear (weights etc.) in this one - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11348 and this one - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11922.

I'm pretty sure this is a home based business, they are made to order so they take a little bit to get (about ten - fourteen days). I'll admit that the process was kind of unconventional but I didn't have any problems with the order.

I'm not sure who posted the following video but it shows the above mentioned landing gear 'in action'! Hope this helps! ~ Robin
Fun Cub Off Road (10 min 40 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:14 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Jan 2009
91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Papangue - I'd be glad to see what I can do to help (PM sent).

ilium007 - I agree that it is somewhat of a challenge to get info on this gear! Kimber posted the first good photos of the gear in this post - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=10605 and I posted some info and photos on the gear (weights etc.) in this one - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11348 and this one - http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11922.

I'm pretty sure this is a home based business, they are made to order so they take a little bit to get (about ten - fourteen days). I'll admit that the process was kind of unconventional but I didn't have any problems with the order.

I'm not sure who posted the following video but it shows the above mentioned landing gear 'in action'! Hope this helps! ~ Robin
http://youtu.be/0-dpPesGY2M
Awesome - thanks !
ilium007 is offline Find More Posts by ilium007
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,505 Posts
No problema! ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
The replacment gear for the Hangar9 Super Cub 25e is available from Horizon fot under $18. It will however need to be narrowed and have some hardwood blocks imbeded into the fuse. I am getting ready to build a second fuse for my Fun Cub (don't ask) and will be going this route.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:57 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmpjohn View Post
The replacment gear for the Hangar9 Super Cub 25e is available from Horizon fot under $18. It will however need to be narrowed and have some hardwood blocks imbeded into the fuse. I am getting ready to build a second fuse for my Fun Cub (don't ask) and will be going this route.

John
Second fuse? Why's that?
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:27 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Stuff Happens
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilium007 View Post
I emailed the guy from cublandinggear and he wouldn't even send me a photo of what the landing gear looked like on a cub ! Seems like a bit of a weirdo - his response was that if I didnt like it I could send it back but he wouldnt supply a photo !
Greetings to all Fun Cub enthusiasts.

Regarding cublandinggear, I live in Australia and manged to get the gear sent to a contact in the States to be forwarded to me.
I was able to take advantage of modern technology to pay my contact by Paypal for the costs of the forward shipping. This obviously put up the shipping costs.

Another additional expense was that when I mailed my order, on the order form down loaded from the CubNut website, I mailed cash converted from Aussie dollars to US dollar bills at a very poor rate of exchange.

I asked on the order form for the builder of the Fun Cub landing gear to do a small modification.

I got no updates on receipt of my cash, acknowledgment of my request for the modification, or information that the completed landing gear had been shipped to my contact in the States.

What I DID get was the completed landing gear which I am delighted with.
The modification had been carried out and I had been trusted to make a small additional payment for the modification AFTER the landing gear had arrived in Australia.

You cannot ask fairer than that.

My advice is that if you want the landing gear from CubNut do exactly what it says on his website.
I got a quality product, in a reasonable length of time, which IMHO is worth all the additional expense involved in my living in Australia and not in the USA.

I respect the fact that CubNut declines to use PayPal, declines to answer e-mails, declines to ship his products outside the USA, declines to send photographs etc.

If you want a supplier to provide all these additional Customer Services then deal with someone else (assuming that you can find an alternative source for this product).

Just my two cents worth,
Tony
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:05 AM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
As a small part time manufacturer myself I can sympathize with his attitude. I have spent days jumping through hoops, answering emails, ect and end up with a "no sale". For the little $$ I make on my kits it is not worth dealing with tire kickers. Kimper posted pics, there are pics on the website. Why would anyone request more of the same. If you want the product send money. If not, move on. Money talks and BS walks

John
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:00 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
3,935 Posts
Has anyone seen or used on a FunCub, the U shaped metal, plastic, or CF type landing gear found on many planes? Seems like an obvious thing to try. I just dont want to be the first

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,505 Posts
I agree with aerotony & pmpjohn - I'm just glad he took up producing the Cub gear and that he thought enough of the FunCub to make a set for it available to us as well! When I placed my order via snail mail I called and left a message that my order was on the way, within 30 minutes he called me back from out at a float fly in Washington just to let me know that there might be a day or two delay because they were out of town - I thought that was pretty thoughtful of him - FWIW - I haven't flown with this gear yet (soon, hopefully) but I'm thrilled with the quality and functionality of this gear so far! ~ Robin

Blu - I've seen them in some pics & video's but never seen anyone specify exactly which gear they used. I see no reason why they wouldn't work, just try to find something that's close the original height and width! ~ Robin
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM. Reason: added response, deleted repeated words :-(