HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:20 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
cubcrafter60's Avatar
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,558 Posts
Hi all, Finished the cowl and got her mounted up! I'll have more photos up on the blog this evening if anyone's interested. ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver maiden!
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
Registered User
United States, IL, Libertyville
Joined Jan 2011
123 Posts
Very cool! I will be curious to know what you think of the landing gear. Is it worth the extra weight?
daver22 is offline Find More Posts by daver22
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:34 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2002
99 Posts
Funcub experience

Hello all my Funcub friends. I just got back from flying my Funcub at my school yard across the street. Here is what I've learned from my experiences with this beautiful flying machine. The build process went smoothly except for one problem I had bending the tail wheel wire at the 90 degree mark to attach to the rudder. This very much made me mad because I could not get a clean bend. This was the only complaint I had with the kit. Everything else went together perfectly. I have read many posts here about motor vibration. I bought the recommended power plant setup. I would highly suggest that anybody who is considering buying the kit, also buy the recommended motor and prop. I have had no problems with vibration at all. I think I got lucky because I put a lot of glue on the motor mounts and glued them in really well. I'm convinced that if you go light on the CA on the mounts, you will have vibrations. Make sure you glue the mounts in well. Getting the CG right is essential to get good flight characteristics out of the Funcub. It took me many flights to get the CG right. I used a sharpie pen to draw two lines on the wing to mark the exact 80 mm point from the leading edge. I had to cut out a section of the fuse at the end of the vent opening to allow me to shove the battery in about an inch. This produced a perfect CG at 80mm. The plane flies like a dream now! Make sure you get the CG right, and you will love this plane! Also, fly on completely calm conditions. A slight gust of wind at the wrong time can cause tip stalls if you are turning and happen to be crawling along. I use the ailerons pretty much all the time, but the plane turns beautifully with a little rudder and aileron together. The last thing you want to do with this bird is to lose airspeed while making a turn. Remember to apply a little throttle in a turn so you don't stall. A stall is the last thing you want to do in a real airplane, and this is also true with the Funcub. Make sure you have some airspeed and you'll be fine. Well, that's my experience with my Funcub. I love this plane!
ecost is offline Find More Posts by ecost
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:51 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Hi all, Finished the cowl and got her mounted up! I'll have more photos up on the blog this evening if anyone's interested. ~ Robin
That is quite a work of art!
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:54 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
cubcrafter60's Avatar
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver22 View Post
Very cool! I will be curious to know what you think of the landing gear. Is it worth the extra weight?
daver22 - I'll definitely give you a 'review' as soon as she flys. I've wanted this gear on the plane since before the crash. It appears to be well made, the only thing I did was order some 2-56 Stainless Steel Button Head screws, washers, and self locking nuts to replace the original hardware. I'll probably have to play with the number of 'O' Rings a bit to find out where she's happy! ~ Robin

Prof100 - Thanks! I just hope I don't turn it into an 'abstract work of art' any time soon! I'll probably be getting another FunCub for a 'more conventional' daily flyer after she maidens. Thanks again! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 13, 2012 at 07:59 PM. Reason: added response
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:58 PM
Registered User
bubbleman's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecost View Post
Hello all my Funcub friends. I just got back from flying my Funcub at my school yard across the street. Here is what I've learned from my experiences with this beautiful flying machine. The build process went smoothly except for one problem I had bending the tail wheel wire at the 90 degree mark to attach to the rudder. This very much made me mad because I could not get a clean bend. This was the only complaint I had with the kit. Everything else went together perfectly. I have read many posts here about motor vibration. I bought the recommended power plant setup. I would highly suggest that anybody who is considering buying the kit, also buy the recommended motor and prop. I have had no problems with vibration at all. I think I got lucky because I put a lot of glue on the motor mounts and glued them in really well. I'm convinced that if you go light on the CA on the mounts, you will have vibrations. Make sure you glue the mounts in well. Getting the CG right is essential to get good flight characteristics out of the Funcub. It took me many flights to get the CG right. I used a sharpie pen to draw two lines on the wing to mark the exact 80 mm point from the leading edge. I had to cut out a section of the fuse at the end of the vent opening to allow me to shove the battery in about an inch. This produced a perfect CG at 80mm. The plane flies like a dream now! Make sure you get the CG right, and you will love this plane! Also, fly on completely calm conditions. A slight gust of wind at the wrong time can cause tip stalls if you are turning and happen to be crawling along. I use the ailerons pretty much all the time, but the plane turns beautifully with a little rudder and aileron together. The last thing you want to do with this bird is to lose airspeed while making a turn. Remember to apply a little throttle in a turn so you don't stall. A stall is the last thing you want to do in a real airplane, and this is also true with the Funcub. Make sure you have some airspeed and you'll be fine. Well, that's my experience with my Funcub. I love this plane!
+1 on a good glue job on the mount and fuse.

The 80 mm CG is another matter. Many here (including me) find that 65 mm is just fine for them. This nose heavy CG makes for a more stable plane.

Just my 2cents

Anton
bubbleman is online now Find More Posts by bubbleman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:25 PM
Registered User
JDMJim's Avatar
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
yea, my CG is about 60-65. I have no issue with tip stalling mine either. Only time I did it was on purpose with a idle nose up. just to see where the speed was. Nearly at zero before it tipped over. If you fly this in any wind conditions, and you shoud, this will surprise a few peeps at the field as you can do stationary aerobatics.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:41 AM
Registered User
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
531 Posts
The CG on my Fun Cub is at 70mm.......more by accident than design as this is where the plane balances with my 2200mah lipos stuffed all the way back.

I maidened the FC with this setting and it flew perfectly with no trim needed to maintain straight and level flight at just under half throttle. Therefore, I felt no need to change it and it has remained so ever since.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:00 AM
Registered User
dk31's Avatar
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Hi all, Finished the cowl and got her mounted up! I'll have more photos up on the blog this evening if anyone's interested. ~ Robin
Really nice scheme.
Also very interesting landing gear mod -did you buy it or make it yourself?
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:15 AM
Registered User
wayfaringdreamer's Avatar
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Hi all, Finished the cowl and got her mounted up! I'll have more photos up on the blog this evening if anyone's interested. ~ Robin
Thanks so much for posting the build on your blog!

I need to rebuild the motor mount on mine after a nasty esc failure caused total loss of the front end.

Before seeing your pics I had already decided to mount the motor in front of the firewall. Thanks!
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:16 AM
Registered User
bubbleman's Avatar
Joined Jan 2007
540 Posts
Hitec Eclipse 7 Program

I am setting up a new FC for a friend with an Eclipse 7 Tx/Rx. What is a good way to setup a 4 servo wing like the FC. If I do not use the tow release I can have a channel for each wing servo. It is a shame that the 4 servo wing setting on this radio is only in glider mode.

Anton
bubbleman is online now Find More Posts by bubbleman
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:35 AM
Registered User
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 2010
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Hi all, Finished the cowl and got her mounted up! I'll have more photos up on the blog this evening if anyone's interested. ~ Robin
Dam, that turned out beautiful. Been following your blog /build and all of your time and hard work payed off.

Prayers for your maiden,



eddy
eddy4753 is offline Find More Posts by eddy4753
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:36 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2011
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
I am setting up a new FC for a friend with an Eclipse 7 Tx/Rx. What is a good way to setup a 4 servo wing like the FC. If I do not use the tow release I can have a channel for each wing servo. It is a shame that the 4 servo wing setting on this radio is only in glider mode.

Anton
You can do a Y-cable on the flaps and ailerons. On my Dx6i I have Y for flaps and separate ailerons so I could have flap/spoilerons.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:30 AM
Registered User
dk31's Avatar
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
736 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbleman View Post
I am setting up a new FC for a friend with an Eclipse 7 Tx/Rx. What is a good way to setup a 4 servo wing like the FC. If I do not use the tow release I can have a channel for each wing servo. It is a shame that the 4 servo wing setting on this radio is only in glider mode.

Anton
I am not familiar with this Tx, but the best way is to use all 7 channels.

Look up your manual for "Flaperon" or "twin/dual servo aileron" to setup two independent aileron servos on two channels. Modern transmitters usually have pre-programmed mixes for dual aileron so you only have to tell the tx which twochannels control the aileron servos.

For flaps, you may have to mix two channels.

Using all 7 channels allows you subtrim and End-point-adjustment for every single control surface of the wings (two ailerons+two flaps). It also makes possible to experiment with interesting combinations such as aileron differential, spoilerons(both AIL up), extended flaps (flaps down+both AIL down) and butterfly brake (flaps down+both AIL up).
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:29 PM
Registered User
gatorlynch's Avatar
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
409 Posts
More Funcub Fun ...

Most of today's flight was playing around with full flaps - just 'cuz I could!
Also managed to get a parachute drop in.

FunCub Full Flaps & Parachute Drop (1 min 40 sec)
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 04:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 09:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 09:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 10:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 11:02 AM