HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:55 PM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
211 Posts
Dave Brown Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
What difference does the weight of the tires make? Yours is only a static model isn't it?

Or have you been able to fly it?
Just ordered some four and a half inch Treaded Big Lite wheels from
www.dbproducts.com/
in the US for shipping to Australia.

The tread on the wheels is for "extra realism" according to the website and are $13.95 a pair weighing in at 1.81 ounces each with a tread width of one and a quarter inches to fit the one eigth inch axles on the semi-scale Fun Cub axle from The Cub Nut.

Given that the Fun Cub is designed to fly with floats I do not expect the extra weight of the heavier wheels and gear to make much difference since I am fitting a more powerful Hacker motor than the stock Multiplex power system,
Tony
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:29 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit View Post
I finally got to maiden my Fun Cub today. Amazing how quickly it gets off the ground. It needs less runway than my slow stick. I kept my flights to 5 minutes each to get some recharge data and get a better measure of what flight times should be with the way I fly. Recharging batteries now and it looks like I could bump up the times to close to 10 minutes. I'm using 3s 2200 mah packs. It's my first aileron plane and I need plenty of work to get some coordinated turns.
I am getting 15 minuites with that set up.
I fly 12-13 then land.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:58 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
I am getting 15 minuites with that set up.
I fly 12-13 then land.
What motor and prop are you using? I finished charging and mathematically, if I use 80%, I can only do 7 minute flights. And I'm not even throwing the plane around. My setup is an exceed rocket 2820 990kv with an apc 12x6 prop.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:50 PM
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
211 Posts
Sullivan Tail wheel

Greetings to all the Fun Cub enthusiasts.

I recall that some people have been fitting the Sullivan Landing Gear Tailwheel Brackets as listed on
www.sullivanproducts.com/LandingGearContent.htm
and I was considering the S859 specified for a 2 to 6lb model with a one and a quarter inch tail wheel S353 listed on
www.sullivanproducts.com/WheelsMainFrame.htm

Any suggestions for a better combination or even a different manufacturer would be appreciated,
Tony
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:35 PM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
204 Posts
Finally got the link to work ... ordered the landing gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB931&P=0

I don't know him well enough to call him "Dave"!

The URL works fine in your post???

http://www.cublandinggear.com/ Copied from the site, the
first one was from our bookmarks
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:21 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
I'm looking forward to CubCrafters maiden! When will it be man ? Also, how many hours did you spend on the build?
Beamen - The 'Got Rocks' maiden set for the 22nd with video to follow (good or bad)! I'm just about done with the fiberglass cowl (another first for me), The replacement flash tube for the strobe is on the way, and since I have a little time I think I'm going to go ahead and make the wing struts and get them on!

As far as the hours? I have absolutely no idea! My wife could probably tell you but I'm not going to ask her! Maybe I'll just leave it at much more than I should have invested in a foamie! But it's unique and I just love to tinker. ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 12, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: added to last sentence
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckolit View Post
What motor and prop are you using? I finished charging and mathematically, if I use 80%, I can only do 7 minute flights. And I'm not even throwing the plane around. My setup is an exceed rocket 2820 990kv with an apc 12x6 prop.
Maybe you should give a try to a smaller prop.
My setup Turnigy 3536-910kV with an 11x7 gives a max~1350gr thrust and ~10 minutes.
What type of flight are you after? If not for 3D I would give a try to a 10x7 or a 10x6. I don't know about this motor brand, but I think 12x6 is too much for a 2820 motor.
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:03 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
Maybe you should give a try to a smaller prop.
My setup Turnigy 3536-910kV with an 11x7 gives a max~1350gr thrust and ~10 minutes.
What type of flight are you after? If not for 3D I would give a try to a 10x7 or a 10x6. I don't know about this motor brand, but I think 12x6 is too much for a 2820 motor.
Thanks. I'll give some smaller props a try. I am not going for 3d flight, more scale or as close to it as I can get with my beginner skills. I have a heli for hovering I originally propped it for max amps. Guess that's where all the flight time went.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
Huesca, Spain
Joined Aug 2009
539 Posts
I have the following on my Fun Cub:

Motor: Emax GT 2812/10, 970kv, Max Thrust 1400g, 12x6 APC prop.
I'm using cheapo 3S 2200mah 20c lipos.

I bought my FC to fly in a gentle, easy, relaxing scale like manner. With the above set-up my lipo consumption averages out at 1014mah per 15 minutes of flying time. Therefore, if I so wished, flights of 20 minutes are easily within reach. However, I generally fly 2 flights of 8 minutes per lipo, which leaves plenty in reserve just in case.

Steve.
stevespana is offline Find More Posts by stevespana
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:50 PM
rancho san antonio, CA
Joined Sep 2005
775 Posts
The Fun Cub takes amazingly little power to stay in the air. I put in an eagletree
datalogger the other day and most of the time I was just using 6 to 8A cruising around slowly with half flaps.

I was running a 11x5.5 thin E prop on a scorpion 3008-32 (1080kV) motor. Peak
draw was 32A (350W), but at sustained full throttle, I was only using 28A
decreasing to 22A after about 10 seconds. My batteries are 2+yrs old
so are quite weak. My net weight without battery is 806g. The current
setup doesn't have enough power to go vertical, so may be I'll try a 12x3.8 slowfly
or a 12x6 prop.
mayday1 is offline Find More Posts by mayday1
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:25 PM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
819 Posts
I will have to work on my throttle management also as it seems as if I should be getting 10 minute flight times easily. I don't think I put it below half stick on any of my flights except to land.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:50 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
I am running a Firepower 10 Sport (3536-10) 1050KV, 450 watt motor.
And running a 11 X 5.5 prop.
But yes probably around 1/3 or less throttle just putting around the sky.
I know when I started to fly it, I must have ran more throttle. I only got about 6-7 minutes the first couple of times.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Mar 2006
19 Posts
paint

I painted my funcub with a Valspar sample from Lowes. Interior latex satin, mixed to a sample from their paint chips. One coat, brushed. Fast dry. Nice smooth finish.
Cost; $3 , enough to paint several planes.
motorhd is online now Find More Posts by motorhd
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,564 Posts
How would you rate the paint for adhering to the surface after flexing?
Any issues with brush marks (foam brush?) or was it 'self leveling' ?
Any special surface prep?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
United States, OR, Gresham
Joined Mar 2006
19 Posts
lowes paint

The surface was wiped with alcohol and dried. The paint was applied with an artist brush.The bristles were about the size of your little fingernail. The coverage was excellent, with one coat red,no brush strokes showed. Green frog tape worked fine. The tape was removed after the surface was tacky. It has about 6 flights in strong winds and does not seem to have a problem with flexing.
motorhd
motorhd is online now Find More Posts by motorhd