HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Wow!

Glad you saved it

What sound did it make just prior to motor ejection if any?

I'm shipping a bunch out Monday - so I'll try and include yours in that.

Gary
Thanks man! Didn't really make any stange sound prior. No vibrations or anything.
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 10:49 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
Thanks man! Didn't really make any stange sound prior. No vibrations or anything.
Welcome!

No Sound - that's a little freaky...

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Sep 09, 2012, 12:08 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,417 Posts
Gary - Not that I'm planning on doing this but I just wondered (in case someone needed to for some reason), Is the new mount wide enough that someone could still use the aftermarket aluminum front mount with a set of aluminum stand-off's (to maintain proper spacing) using the four adjustment holes in the mount? I was just looking at Beamen's photo and was curious.

Beamen - How did the motor do, any damage?

Just updated the blog with the cowl progress, set the remaiden date for the 22nd with video (good or bad) to follow! My best friend and test pilot, Lane will be in Reno for the Air Races next weekend. It will give me time to make sure everything's 100% and maybe even get those wing struts on her!
~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 01:22 PM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
240 Posts
Quote:

This happens when you have a 870W engine on the stock motor mount, haha. It happened yesterday while doing a high speed pass. Engine ripped out of the fuselage, I straitened it up and gave it full elevator and it floated nicely to the ground. So no other damage was done. The battery even survived.

I wrote an email to Gary, so hopefully he will ship over the over-sized mount soon so I can put it back together and fly next weekend
What motor is that?
RC_AVIGATOR is offline Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:29 PM
IT Ninja
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2012
194 Posts
The FunCub is just downright rad.
Here is some video of the boys enjoying their foamies, including the Funcub, Funjet, and other foamies.

Fun Foamies (2 min 49 sec)
Captain Awesome is offline Find More Posts by Captain Awesome
Old Sep 09, 2012, 05:53 PM
Dr John
Lake Placid, Florida
Joined Dec 2001
2,712 Posts
Hi Guys
I have read the first 100 pages of this thread and hope they covered most of the problem areas because I just finished my Fun Cub and am waiting for the wind to lay down a bit for the maiden. Since I am over powering her a bit with an E Flight power 25 and 4s 3300mah I made a few other changes that seemed a good idea. The front 3 inches of the fuse was cut off and a ply firewall installed to hold the motor. this was covered with a ParkZone SC cowl. The ESC was moved back into the cabin area. The tail feather servos were moved back about 6 inches. The landing gear was built to replicate the full scale and moved back to a more scale location. Functional wing struts`were added. Enough LEDs were installed inside and outside to make night flying possible. The lights are controlled by a 7a brushed ESC. She balances on the money without adding any dead weight. Paint is Krylon Short Cuts.

John
pmpjohn is offline Find More Posts by pmpjohn
Last edited by pmpjohn; Sep 09, 2012 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:22 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,417 Posts
pmpjohn - Sounds like you'll have gobs of power! Nice looking ship also. Best of luck on your maiden, I'm sure love this plane! Let us know how it goes.~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:27 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Gary - Not that I'm planning on doing this but I just wondered (in case someone needed to for some reason), Is the new mount wide enough that someone could still use the aftermarket aluminum front mount with a set of aluminum stand-off's (to maintain proper spacing) using the four adjustment holes in the mount? I was just looking at Beamen's photo and was curious.

Just updated the blog with the cowl progress, set the remaiden date for the 22nd with video (good or bad) to follow! My best friend and test pilot, Lane will be in Reno for the Air Races next weekend. It will give me time to make sure everything's 100% and maybe even get those wing struts on her!
~ Robin
Hi Robin,

Unfortunately I don't think the new firewall is wide enough to do what you are talking about. If you came in 3/16" to 1/4" of an inch both sides it would work. But you would have to drill new holes in the alum. mount for the standoffs.

On another note - I flew with the Vortex Generators in place today in a ton of wind - so can't really give a definitive answer on their performance. Didn't slow it down at all however. I'll wait for calmer conditions to determine if they make a difference. It did seem to have quicker response in dealing with the wind and gusts.

I think I'd like to see dome78 with a set to see what he thinks and get his opinion.

They do look really cool on the wing though...

Stay tuned!

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Sep 09, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
I think I'd like to see dome78 with a set to see what he thinks and get his opinion.
I modified VGs to less intrusive looking clear plastic ones. Went with more but smaller ones. I want to believe they improve aileron response but the effects are marginal. They look cool though.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post

~ Robin
I think it survived. Luckily we were flying over a HUGE field that sells grass patches by the meter. So it's very nice and soft there. It was just cut (almost like a golf fairway) so it was easy to spot all the parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_AVIGATOR View Post
What motor is that?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:04 AM
United States, PA, Duncannon
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
AYou can go the metal motor mount at Morganmills.comI
I bought the plywood fusalage retro fit. To stiffen the front of the Fun Cub and he also has real nice metal servo mounts in the most popular sizes, I bought the 9 gram size its a perfect fit
luckyphoenix is offline Find More Posts by luckyphoenix
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:09 AM
United States, PA, Duncannon
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
The above was a quick replay to an earlier post about vibration in the fun cub. I didn't realize it would take me to the end of the forum.
But The parts I bought have gone into my 2nd Fun Cub. Vibration is gone and if it comes back I'm sure it will be motor, shaft or prop problem. Real quality products and super fast shipping
luckyphoenix is offline Find More Posts by luckyphoenix
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
407 Posts
Kite Flying & parachute drop

I tried kite flying again yesterday. I thought if I could get her flying slow enough, it would allow the kite to behave lilke a kite behind her
Didn't work - the kite wouldn't stabilize and kept tugging from all directions. I finally had to release her.

Well, at least the parachute worked.

What else has been towed behind a FunCub ???

kite flying with a FunCub (1 min 18 sec)
gatorlynch is online now Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:33 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
This happens when you have a 870W engine on the stock motor mount, haha. It happened yesterday while doing a high speed pass. Engine ripped out of the fuselage, I straitened it up and gave it full elevator and it floated nicely to the ground.
Is that what they call an "engine out" landing?
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:41 AM
Joined Sep 2011
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aesmith View Post
Is that what they call an "engine out" landing?
hahaha