Old Sep 08, 2012, 01:10 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordks View Post
Good, I was going to suggest making them from something paintable but it sounds like you have that covered.

Here's another thought. Can they be made from something transparent? I've got the standard stickers on mine and they start just about one inch back from the leading edge.

Might be a LOT of work but I suppose I could take some clear plastic, around credit card thickness, cut it into a zillion little pieces and CA them into micro slots cut in the foam itself, right through the stickers. Sounds like it might weaken the wing a bit, but not much considering the CA would hold things together where it the foam has been cut. And even if it does, there is a spar in there. And the only way it could matter is if I liked to do full power inverted loops, which I don't.

But your soon-to-be product sounds like a great way to test the whole idea quick and easy. I am getting in line.

Gord
Hi Gord,

Thanks for the interest!

I can make them in clear PetG also for those that prefer. It's a little tougher to cut and finish but doable.

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:24 PM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Jul 2004
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
Combine Slats and VGs = best of both worlds ?????

Of the two approaches presented so far on the the thread .... I really like the Slats idea ....

Has anyone actually flown slats on their FC? Can you post pix of the installation and hints on how you made them?
I do have both on my FC. The outer third is VGs and the inner 2/3s is slats. My reasoning is that - from what I read - the slats will channel air at a higher speed on the top of the wing forcing the air to not separate where as the VGs will slow down the air (among other rocket science I do not understand) delaying separation of airflow.

The VGs seem to have improved the aileron response a bit. I my gut tells my it stalls later now. However the effect is not very pronounced. Seeing all the Alaska video footage I came to expect a dramatic effect but I think that is not realistic on a small model airplane. Maybe we can get a super optimized slats/VG setup and stall speed may be reduced from, say, 8 mph to 6 mph but can you tell on the field with wind gusts etc? Probably not.

Anyways, there is some details and pictures on my RCG blog-thingy and I'll continue to play with VGs and slats for the fun of it.
dome78 is offline Find More Posts by dome78
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:07 PM
Selmsdorf, Germany
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Hi there in outer space ;]

Here´s my Funcub, codename Bigfoot.

Flying weight 1830gr. with 4S 3200mah battery. Flying time about 14-20mins.
Now with little position lights.
Bigfoot light (0 min 41 sec)

Flown on a plane meeting with homeland banner.
Michis Banner-Flug (2 min 44 sec)

Landing was horrible, just before touch down, the wind was gone.

First pic FC Bigfoot with pilot, 2nd pic my landing gear with 125mm Kavan rubber wheels.
Nebelspinne is offline Find More Posts by Nebelspinne
Old Sep 08, 2012, 04:24 PM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,764 Posts
Hey Guys - Sorry about the double post back there! I don't think that any of our HLD's (High Lift Devices) will yield substantial (noticeable) performance increases in an aircraft this small. That being said - they are fun to 'tinker' with and discuss (I would love to prove that line of thinking wrong)! I think, IMOH the best chance for a noticeable change in this scale may be with that Dakota Cub Aircraft slotted wing mod that I posted about earlier, and that's primarily because you'd actually be increasing the lifting surface by 6% and increasing the flap surface area by 44%, the slots would just be icing on the cake! This would require a difficult sectioning of two FunCub wings to increase the flap surfaces and to square off the wing tips, you'd also have to reposition the flap hinges, and possibly have to reposition the flap servo (I haven't calculated the actual measurements yet to see how much the flaps width would grow yet). I'm not sure if I'm quite ready to take that one on yet! Another approach would be, increased cord flaps and ailerons (as used on some of 'Bush' Cub's). This could be tested by simply folding some index card extensions, and taping them to the flaps and ailerons.
On another note, I've been sanding my fiberglass cowl for the Got Rock's cub this morning. This is my first attempt at making a glass cowl and it's been kind of interesting, but it won't make my list of favorite things to do! We have three major wildfires burning in our vicinity (not too close). I guess they pulled out the big guns as the DC-10 Air Tanker 910 (N450AX) just flew over heading towards the Blue Lakes fire! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:04 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Anybody replaced the wing (due to some mishap) with a KFm wing?
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:40 PM
MRN
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined May 2002
172 Posts
Maybe this is too obvious, but before I'd go to the work of installing leading edge slats or vortex generators or wing fences, why not just buy a second wing and make a biplane out of the Fun Cub? Or, how about drooped wing tip extensions?
They would create a lot more drag, but so would the other devices.
Just my opinion.
Mike
MRN is offline Find More Posts by MRN
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:26 PM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,764 Posts
Nebelspinne - Nice! Like to see some over all shots of her also. Couple of questions, what brand & size prop are you running? Is that the Multiplex Light set? And How much do the Kavan wheels weigh? Thanks ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:47 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRN View Post
Maybe this is too obvious, but before I'd go to the work of installing leading edge slats or vortex generators or wing fences, why not just buy a second wing and make a biplane out of the Fun Cub? Or, how about drooped wing tip extensions?
They would create a lot more drag, but so would the other devices.
Just my opinion.
Mike
News flash Mike,

Because it's fun!

Go ahead - buy a second wing a - nail it on - let us know how it works out.

BTW Mike's pissed at me - and he's just trying to rain on a parade - he enjoys it.

Gary
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:52 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Hi All,

For those of you with an extreme case of “Big Motor-itus”

Here is an Additional Firewall for the Optional Motor Mount for the FunCub Floor/Stiffener.

I’m going to include it with all Optional Motor Mounts (OMM) going forward.

It will require some foam removal and will be a tight squeeze but will provide more room for the larger cross mounts.

It also includes 6 small holes for screwing the firewall/cross mount/motor composite to the optional motor mount for easier R&R. You can also apply glue around the edge to adhere it to the foam for permanent installs if you wish.

There is an offset slot in the center for motors with a rear collar – you will need to do a small bit of ply removal to clear it on the OMM – be careful and don’t do too much. This slot is for offsetting the motor to center up the shaft at the front of the cowl.

For those of you who already have the optional motor mount – it retrofits onto it.

I’m offering it to those who purchased an OMM for free for a limited time.
Email me if you would like one. Just pay a small shipping fee.

Cheers!

Gary
Old Sep 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Hi All,

Here is an Additional Firewall for the Optional Motor Mount for the FunCub Floor/Stiffener.

It will require some foam removal and will be a tight squeeze but will provide more room for the larger cross mounts.

It also includes 6 small holes for screwing the firewall/cross mount/motor composite to the optional motor mount for easier R&R. You can also apply glue around the edge to adhere it to the foam for permanent installs if you wish.

There is an offset slot in the center for motors with a rear collar – you will need to do a small bit of ply removal to clear it on the OMM – be careful and don’t do too much. This slot is for offsetting the motor to center up the shaft at the front of the cowl.

For those of you who already have the optional motor mount – it retrofits onto it.

Cheers!

Gary
Brilliant!
marksp is offline Find More Posts by marksp
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:18 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

Cheers!

Gary
Gary,

It looks great. Can I have the OMM for mine?

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:27 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Gary,

It looks great. Can I have the OMM for mine?

Bill
Hi Bill,

I think you mean the Additional Firewall not the OMM?

You should already have the Optional Motor Mount (OMM)

And yes you can! - cover my shipping and I'll send you one. ($1.50) for US residents.

Cheers!

Gary
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:47 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,648 Posts
Quote:
Hi Bill,

I think you mean the Additional Firewall not the OMM?

You should already have the Optional Motor Mount (OMM)

And yes you can! - cover my shipping and I'll send you one. ($1.50) for US residents.

Cheers!

Gary
Yes, I will PM you.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts

This happens when you have a 870W engine on the stock motor mount, haha. It happened yesterday while doing a high speed pass. Engine ripped out of the fuselage, I straitened it up and gave it full elevator and it floated nicely to the ground. So no other damage was done. The battery even survived.

I wrote an email to Gary, so hopefully he will ship over the over-sized mount soon so I can put it back together and fly next weekend
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post

This happens when you have a 870W engine on the stock motor mount, haha. It happened yesterday while doing a high speed pass. Engine ripped out of the fuselage, I straitened it up and gave it full elevator and it floated nicely to the ground. So no other damage was done. The battery even survived.

I wrote an email to Gary, so hopefully he will ship over the over-sized mount soon so I can put it back together and fly next weekend
Wow!

Glad you saved it

What sound did it make just prior to motor ejection if any?

I'm shipping a bunch out Monday - so I'll try and include yours in that.

Gary