Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:45 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
I have often wanted to try this pattern wich is a combination wing cap made from ABS sheet, would be simple for you to try,easy to attach for trials with double sided tape.
Hi Olmod,

Not sure I'm following the drawing - but I'm curious - could you elaborate?

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 11:58 PM
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Mark,

Here is a drawing of a Eflight Power 10/15/25 cross mount in green - it fits my motor mount just barely but will fit. Do you have some dimensions for the HK Mount?

I'm working on an additional firewall to attach to the optional motor mount for the larger cross mounts however some foam will have to be removed to accommodate it - it's the larger outside one.

Is it that you don't have enough room for the cross mount?

Gary
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm trying to mount a Turnigy D3635/8 using the supplied cross bracket mount which is too big for the mount surface area. Now looking for alternative mounting options???
marksp is online now Find More Posts by marksp
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:48 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm trying to mount a Turnigy D3635/8 using the supplied cross bracket mount which is too big for the mount surface area. Now looking for alternative mounting options???
Mark,

I'll cut one for you tomorrow.

It's going to be a tight squeeze and you'll have to remove foam - fore-warned is fair-warned

Cheers!

Gary
Old Sep 08, 2012, 12:56 AM
Bay Area Prop Buster
Bay Area CA
Joined Jan 2011
4,017 Posts
I can't wait to see how this turns out including the CG changes. Looks very nice and professional!

Blu
Bluhammer is offline Find More Posts by Bluhammer
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:11 AM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,772 Posts
aesmith - you mean like this?

Experimental Mega Extended Gear Cub Noses Over Landing at Lake Hood Strip (1 min 1 sec)

Maybe too much of a good thing can be bad!

Went to a club meeting this evening, the Got Rocks Fun Cub was well received, even by those who were skeptical at first! The club had an auction last Saturday but I stayed home to work on the cub. Found out there was a FunCub there, with floats, all the servos, and two motors - sold for $65.00! When will I learn?

Gary - The VG's look good, I like the method of attachment. The only thing I might add is that in most of the diagrams I've seen VG array usually covers the full span of the flaps and ailerons. I can't wait to hear if your flight tests show any noticeable effect or not! (something else to add to my cart)! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:21 AM
What's up with that?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,772 Posts
Duplicate post - Sorry, don't know what happened! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Sep 08, 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old Sep 08, 2012, 03:58 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
Quote:
...As far as TLR goes - what do you guys think?....

Gary
Looks very right to me.
The strip was a very good idea, and will make testing different distances from leading edge easy.
I'm standing in line to order a set, when you have a production version.

/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Sep 08, 2012, 05:36 AM
Joined Apr 2010
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Maybe not quite like that!! Nose-over might have been due to applying too much brake too soon.
aesmith is offline Find More Posts by aesmith
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:38 AM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
204 Posts
Slats vs Vortex Generators on the FC .......

Which is it ..... Crawl Slow Landing or More Controlled Slower than normal Landing

Slats = a very low airspeed approach to touchdown. The kind of landing you would want in a very very short place like a sandbar, small patch on the side of a mountain, or attempting the win the Alaskan Shortest Landing Contest

VG = a slower than normal airspeed approach with channeled airflow over the flying surface to the control surfaces to eliminate 'mushing' effect. You will be able to land in a shorter than normal distance, but not as short as you could with slats.

Combine Slats and VGs = best of both worlds ?????

Of the two approaches presented so far on the the thread .... I really like the Slats idea ....

Has anyone actually flown slats on their FC? Can you post pix of the installation and hints on how you made them?
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Sep 08, 2012, 07:18 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
Has anyone actually flown slats on their FC? Can you post pix of the installation and hints on how you made them?...
I'd also be interested in seeing that, and knowing the impact of slats on performance during "normal" flight. Do they affect max airspeed much?

Combing slats and VG:s sounds like a fun idea.

Just had an evil thought:
It can't be that complicated to connect slats to the flap-servos.
Or, as I just googled, make them spring-loaded
Just have to find a good, light, solution for movable mounts.

/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Last edited by JNJO; Sep 08, 2012 at 07:35 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2007
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
I'd also be interested in seeing that, and knowing the impact of slats on performance during "normal" flight. Do they affect max airspeed much?

/J
Sort of off the slats/VG thought, but how about turning the flaps and ailerons into flaperons. This would require different hinges for the flaps to allow some up as well as down.

This would do several things.

First with the aileron function of the flaps in the prop blast roll control at stall speeds would be improved. it is no accident that 3D planes have large inboard ailerons.

If we assume that either with clever multi channel programming, or with simple mechanical setup that the ailerons have differential with more up than down, and the flaps hame differential with more down than up the effect would be to create a wing with washout. That is a change in the airfoil from root to tip of the wing. This type of wing will have a stall that sort of mushes straight ahead and not tend to drop a wing tip

Just thinking

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:00 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post

http://youtu.be/dY13LmDshso

Maybe too much of a good thing can be bad!

Went to a club meeting this evening, the Got Rocks Fun Cub was well received, even by those who were skeptical at first! The club had an auction last Saturday but I stayed home to work on the cub. Found out there was a FunCub there, with floats, all the servos, and two motors - sold for $65.00! When will I learn?

Gary - The VG's look good, I like the method of attachment. The only thing I might add is that in most of the diagrams I've seen VG array usually covers the full span of the flaps and ailerons. I can't wait to hear if your flight tests show any noticeable effect or not! (something else to add to my cart)! ~ Robin
Hi Robin,

Sorry you missed that deal - I always do...

I agree about the coverage of span - I used CA on the mold instead of ABS glue and the fins started coming off - dang dang it - otherwise I would have made more. I'm hoping I see an effect on Sunday.

I'll keep you posted.

On another note - I wonder if those guys in Alaska could run a weight on a wire or rail from GC to way aft in a hurry to radically change CG on the very last bit of landing so they could plop down shorter... ?

And maybe stop that nasty prop strike - that has to be expensive

Anyway - out to the shop to paint the VG's

Gary
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:02 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Looks very right to me.
The strip was a very good idea, and will make testing different distances from leading edge easy.
I'm standing in line to order a set, when you have a production version.

/J
Thanks JNJO,

I'll work on the mold repair today and start production soon.

Thanks for the interest!

Gary
Old Sep 08, 2012, 10:11 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:

/J
An Idea just came to me about your idea of slats - if you could actuate them with a cam or another control rod connected to the flap servo it could be mechanical instead adding the weight of another servo. They could be spring loaded so they would conform to the wing when the flaps were up. The trick is to extend the slat evenly across the wing with one servo...

Hmmmmm - must ponder

Gary
Last edited by GLM; Sep 08, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2012, 11:25 AM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:

Anyway - out to the shop to paint the VG's

Gary
Good, I was going to suggest making them from something paintable but it sounds like you have that covered.

Here's another thought. Can they be made from something transparent? I've got the standard stickers on mine and they start just about one inch back from the leading edge.

Might be a LOT of work but I suppose I could take some clear plastic, around credit card thickness, cut it into a zillion little pieces and CA them into micro slots cut in the foam itself, right through the stickers. Sounds like it might weaken the wing a bit, but not much considering the CA would hold things together where it the foam has been cut. And even if it does, there is a spar in there. And the only way it could matter is if I liked to do full power inverted loops, which I don't.

But your soon-to-be product sounds like a great way to test the whole idea quick and easy. I am getting in line.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks