SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,528 Posts
A bent prop blade from a crash will still ballance but be bad in use, maybe you did replace it.?
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:39 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
566 Posts
Could well be a bent collet; they're only made from soft aluminum.

John
jhark37 is offline Find More Posts by jhark37
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:41 PM
An unexpected error occurred
Belgium, Flemish Region, Duffel
Joined Apr 2012
831 Posts
Same problem here : all worked fine until a minor crash bent the motor shaft.
Replaced the shaft, collet and propeller. Reinforced the whole motor compartiment both horizontally and vertically.
Now everything runs smooth up to about 90% throttle, then I get those vibrations again.
Driving me completely mad,about to give up on this bird, I've spent more time solving vibration issues then flying it seems.
Phaedra is offline Find More Posts by Phaedra
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:58 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedra View Post
Same problem here : all worked fine until a minor crash bent the motor shaft.
Replaced the shaft, collet and propeller. Reinforced the whole motor compartiment both horizontally and vertically.
Now everything runs smooth up to about 90% throttle, then I get those vibrations again.
Driving me completely mad,about to give up on this bird, I've spent more time solving vibration issues then flying it seems.
Have you checked the prop tips to see if they are tracking each other well - spool up to a minimum rpm and see if they are in line.

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:07 PM
Searching Field
Joined Oct 2011
64 Posts
Multiplex FunCub is such a good plane !
Powerful and perfectly stable, you can put a Wingcam or a Gopro on it without any problem!

You need a proof ? Watch our second episode : FunCub cam on board
http://www.matterhorns.org/pages/vid...sion-2012.html

Have Fun & Fly. Over.
DOCFIGHT is offline Find More Posts by DOCFIGHT
Old Aug 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Or you can try one of these

http://morganmill.com/RC/FunCub_Parts.html
Is the motor mount option available? Inquiring minds want to know.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Is the motor mount option available? Inquiring minds want to know.
Yup!

Scroll down the page and it's there.

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:18 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
I am new to the funcub and am wondering if I should try longer throw servo arms for rolls. Not real responive at present. It may be the nature of the beast so any advice is apreciated re: aileron response.
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:14 PM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
566 Posts
[QUOTE=Rickflaguy;22466185]I am new to the funcub and am wondering if I should try longer throw servo arms for rolls. Not real responive at present. It may be the nature of the beast so any advice is apreciated re: aileron response.[/QUOTE

I found it to be partly the nature of the beast, plus aileron throw is limited by the angle molded into the aileron/wing interface. Tried to get more throw myself and started jamming servos.

John
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:45 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Yup!

Scroll down the page and it's there.

Gary
Gary,

Get ready to process the sale.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:25 PM
United States, FL, West Melbourne
Joined May 2011
1,743 Posts
[QUOTE=jhark37;22467101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickflaguy View Post
I am new to the funcub and am wondering if I should try longer throw servo arms for rolls. Not real responive at present. It may be the nature of the beast so any advice is apreciated re: aileron response.[/QUOTE

I found it to be partly the nature of the beast, plus aileron throw is limited by the angle molded into the aileron/wing interface. Tried to get more throw myself and started jamming servos.

John
Did you increse by programming or with longer arms?
Rickflaguy is offline Find More Posts by Rickflaguy
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:38 PM
There is Victory in the Lord!
United States, GA, Locust Grove
Joined Feb 2011
860 Posts
How to stop motor vibs

Ok guys, here is a checklist that i have found to work to rid of all vibrations from the hatch forward. Its quite easy, and with some patience and knowledge, it will be fixed quickly.

#1 BALANCE YOUR PROP. Get a decent prop balacer as well, as this is the best way to accurately balance your prop.

#2 Make sure that your motor shaft is straight. If it is not, replace it.

#3 make sure your collet or prop adapter and straight, and threads/fits correctly.

#4 GET A METAL MOTOR MOUNT! The plastic mount will work for a little while, but eventually the plastic softens and begins to bend easily, thus transfering ANY vibrations from the motor.

#5 Thread lock your screws that go through the motor mount and into your motor. Make sure these screws are as tight as you can get them, otherwise they will come loose enough the create slop, thus vibration.

#6 take the motor mount screws that go into the plastic lugs in the plane (the two longest screws) out, and squeeze some thin CA down the plastic lug thread holes. with the motor mount seated, screw the screws back in, but right before you tighten them down, leave enough room to squeeze a bit of thick CA right where the screw head will seat. Then proceed to tighten the screws down the rest of the way, making sure to get them as tight as possible, then let dry for about 10-15min.

This SHOULD fix all vibration problems attributed to the funcub. If you continue to have vibrations, check your motor bearings for slop, and check your prop for damage. if prop is damaged, replace it with a new prop (that is balanced).

(P.S. make sure your fuse halfs are properly glued together at the nose.)

if you want to know where to find metal motor mounts, i make home made ones that work just as well as the expensive aftermarket ones, but they all work equally well.

So i hope i have answered some questions and solved some problems, and please dont hesitate to ask me anything, or correct me on something. Have a great day guys

Colin Harrington!
knifeedge63 is offline Find More Posts by knifeedge63
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
The Morganmill Funcub stiffener and motor mount will solve vibration problems that are simply inherent in the plane if you want to use a motor bigger than the recommended motor. That said, a severely out of balance or a bent motor shaft will always vibrate.

Motor Mount

Stiffener
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:07 AM
Flyr John in Floyd VA
United States, VA, Floyd
Joined Nov 2007
566 Posts
[QUOTE=Rickflaguy;22467787]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhark37 View Post

Did you increse by programming or with longer arms?
Longer servo arms

John
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:04 AM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
204 Posts
Yes Eflite sells the Power 10 and Power 15 and they run $70 and up. I'm testing out TACON BigFoot 10's 15's, and 25's from Hobby-Partz with great success - and they start at $31

http://www.hobbypartz.com/bigfooutrubr.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluhammer View Post
Eflite.
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc