Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Jun 2011
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
The gear switch thing is not in the manual.

I don't know all the other aspects of your set-up. If you have Flap set to System in the Input Select screen make sure you have Auto set to INH in the Flap System screen.
Thanks,
Everything is working perfectly. I never did figure out why the throttle raised the flaps on the first model. I cleared all of the mixes, and the throttle still raised the flaps. When I reset the model and started from scratch, everything worked properly.
Ramblin is offline Find More Posts by Ramblin
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:55 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
This is actually a DX7 programming question, but since I am trying to program FunCub flaps I thought that I might find an answer here. The FunCub is my first airplane with flaps. Because the flap servos require opposite travel, I am operating the right flap servo from the Flap channel and then mixing Flaps to the Gear channel for the left flap. I got everything working fine until I advanced the throttle with the flaps fully lowered. The right flap (on the Flap channel) went to the full up position and the left flap moved to the mid position. When I advanced the throttle with the flaps in the mid position, the right flap (on the Flap channel) went to the full up position but the left flap stayed in the mid position. It appears that the throttle is only affecting the Flap2 position. I have searched all of the settings and cannot find any connection between throttle position and the Flap channel. Has anyone experienced this?
Wouldn't it be easier to Carve out one flap servo and install it with a Y harness.
Like most of the others do here?
Sounds like it would do away with a lot of headache.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Thanks,
Everything is working perfectly. I never did figure out why the throttle raised the flaps on the first model. I cleared all of the mixes, and the throttle still raised the flaps. When I reset the model and started from scratch, everything worked properly.
That's interesting. I was going to suggest a reset. I'd like to see your set-up if you could post it up.

I've been working on some programs for dual flaps and dual ailerons with the DX7 and AR7000 and will post it here when I can.
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Jun 2011
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Wouldn't it be easier to Carve out one flap servo and install it with a Y harness.
Yes, that was my next alternative. However I am new to RC and enjoy the challenge of learning how to program the DX7. Thanks to Turner2 for the switch disable info. I would never have figured that out. One advantage of the extra channel is the ability to compensate for differences in the two servos.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
headSpeed++;
Bristol, TN
Joined Nov 2006
542 Posts
Quote:
Did you inhibit the gear switch?

You can do this with a program mix using any mix from 1-4. Mix gear to gear and set values at -100%, -100%. SW: on, offset; 0.
Thanks, I searched the menus 3 times trying to find a way to disable the gear switch when I setup my radio last night. Didn't think about a gear to gear mix. I was initially going to hook one of my aileron servos to the gear channel but put one of the flaps on it thinking I'd be more likely to recover from mistakenly flipping the gear switch on the flap than the aileron.

I forgot to get a Y-harness so it'll be a moot point soon when I do and hook up the tow cable servo, but for now it'll be good to mix out that switch.

"Gilded the lily" late last night and ran out and had the maiden today after getting back from the lake (I haven't had a chance to do the floats, plus I'm not comfortable flying off water until I've flown the plane some). It was getting dark, so I didn't get to spend much time in the air, but I can tell I'm really going to enjoy this plane. The tail wheel came off on one of the landings. I guess I didn't use enough CA on that outer collar. I'll see if I can't find one with a grub screw to replace it.
tailStrike is offline Find More Posts by tailStrike
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
265 Posts
Quote:
That's interesting. I was going to suggest a reset. I'd like to see your set-up if you could post it up.

I've been working on some programs for dual flaps and dual ailerons with the DX7 and AR7000 and will post it here when I can.
The only programming other than dual rates and expo are 3 mixes. The first 2 are for using the GEAR channel for the second flap servo. I set up MIX5 to use the AUX2 switch as a safety switch to disable the throttle.

[PROG.MIX1]
GEAR>GEAR ON
RATE: -100%
-100%
SW:ON
OFFSET: 0

[PROG.MIX2]
FLAP>GEAR ON
RATE: +100%
+100%
OFFSET: 0

[PROG.MIX5]
AUX2>THRO ON
RATE: 0%
+100%
OFFSET: +100
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:12 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,138 Posts
Just got back from a great day of flying with a friend. He flew my Cub and aerotowed my glider. Bye Bye bungee hi start, hello FunCub Tow service!
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Aug 12, 2012, 11:19 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
If you go back to older posts, you ll find 4 solutions to the "flap setting" Issue. Sorted from easiest to hardest:
1. Use your 7 th channel if you got one ( that's why extra channels are there for). You ll have full authority on each of the flaps like subtrim, end point adj etc. You ll have to give up though the tow servo or dual ailerons (unless you have 8 channels or more)
2. Get a channel reverser ( HK ~7$)
3. Carve out a new servo nest
4. Do a servo surgery to reverse its direction

You could also set up a pushrod system where one servo moves both flaps. I wouldn't bother with any other solution than 1 or 2 ...
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, PA, Middletown
Joined Sep 2011
558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
If you go back to older posts, you ll find 4 solutions to the "flap setting" Issue. Sorted from easiest to hardest:
1. Use your 7 th channel if you got one ( that's why extra channels are there for). You ll have full authority on each of the flaps like subtrim, end point adj etc. You ll have to give up though the tow servo or dual ailerons (unless you have 8 channels or more)
2. Get a channel reverser ( HK ~7$)
3. Carve out a new servo nest
4. Do a servo surgery to reverse its direction

You could also set up a pushrod system where one servo moves both flaps. I wouldn't bother with any other solution than 1 or 2 ...
I have the DX 6i and tried mixing in the radio with limited success. I bagged that and did 3 which works great.

I love cutting foam!
wayfaringdreamer is offline Find More Posts by wayfaringdreamer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,433 Posts
Just flip the servo, off set the rod and make a new track for the wire!
Why make it so complex?

Kimber is offline Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
headSpeed++;
Bristol, TN
Joined Nov 2006
542 Posts
Flipping the servo longitudinally vs. laterally? You just blew my mind.
tailStrike is offline Find More Posts by tailStrike
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:47 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
My Cub has the flap servo flipped and the servos plugged into the Rx with a "Y" connector. With the flaps controlled by the DX7 flap switch I get two positions for the flaps. The ailerons are set up as flaperons and give me differential and spoilers so I can fly the plane with crow. It can be flown in 6 modes: normal flight, two flap positions with normal ailerons or spoilerons or spoilerons alone.

Sometimes I feel like I need a barrel of monkeys to keep track of what's happening and it's all fun. The programing of the DX7 was simple and by the book. It took maybe 15 minutes to cut a new slot for the servo, flip over the foam to fill the old slot and install the servo. I could care less about alternative ways of doing it because this way was direct and simple and required no mixers.

Kimber's way of flipping the flap servo is even simpler but I'm not that smart.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:04 AM
United States, WI, Milwaukee
Joined Apr 2010
95 Posts
Any idea as to why the manufacture didn't flip the pocket?
Sometimes I'm a little slow.
eddy4753 is offline Find More Posts by eddy4753
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Williams View Post
...With the flaps controlled by the DX7 flap switch I get two positions for the flaps. The ailerons are set up as flaperons and give me differential and spoilers so I can fly the plane with crow. It can be flown in 6 modes: normal flight, two flap positions with normal ailerons or spoilerons or spoilerons alone...
Ron Williams, Is there a post here somewhere with your settings? How are you able to control flaps with the flap switch if you are using flaperon wing type and using the flap switch for spoilerons?
Turner2 is offline Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Jan 2007
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy4753 View Post
Any idea as to why the manufacture didn't flip the pocket?
Sometimes I'm a little slow.
IMO:

They assumed that everyone has 7+ channel radios and would assign an aux. channel to the second flap servo. As stated above this allows fine tuning of the servo travel. There are enough differences between servos of even the same brand that they will not track through the entire range. Any difference between flap positions will be the same as ail. input, so the ail. trim would change at different flap settings.

I happened to have a match set of standard and reversed servo that I used. That is another option.

Anton
bubbleman is offline Find More Posts by bubbleman