HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:53 PM
Gonna need a bigger plane . .
Kitsap County, WA, USA
Joined Jul 2007
2,950 Posts
lol, maybe I should re-phrase, how long did it take you to build it?
FlopGun is offline Find More Posts by FlopGun
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Well took me two months.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:59 PM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopGun View Post
lol, maybe I should re-phrase, how long did it take you to build it?
Mine took about ten days, but I only spent a couple of hours per day, and that's without paint or other snazzy "custom" features.

The one thing that took some time was making up an aluminum motor mount to match the non-standard motor I used. Things like that can add significantly to the build time.

How long it takes really depends on how you approach the build. If you build it as-is, out of the box, you'll be done a lot quicker than if you start customizing.
FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Last edited by FunPilot; Aug 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,431 Posts
We got ours on Mar 21 and finished it on May 1. Some delay on the landing gear and
finding the right paint.

Weather and family situation, still no flights.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Aug 10, 2012, 07:58 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
872 Posts
Just posting to subscribe........

My FC should be in on Monday. Already have the stiffner and motor mount from Morgan RC. I have no idea what I will put in it for power. I have a range of motors from 500 kv to 1100 kv. I sure wish I could fit 6s 3000mah in this airplane since that is what I normally use but I think I will try to keep it light and go with a 3s setup. So many pages to sift through in this thread.

I saw some cub landing gear from R2 hobbies and ordered a couple of them. Since I don't have the plane yet it was chancy but I am a cub fanatic so they will get used if they don't fit the FC. Oh, well...that was my hello to the FC folks here.

Rick
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:16 AM
All Thumbs
Japan, Miyagi Prefecture
Joined Aug 2012
154 Posts
A gratuitous photo of my Fun Cub at the club airfield today.
It flew too, but I haven't yet perfected the technique of shooting pix while flying.

FunPilot is offline Find More Posts by FunPilot
Old Aug 11, 2012, 11:49 AM
headSpeed++;
Bristol, TN
Joined Nov 2006
542 Posts
My hello fun cub people post:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1708950

I'm finishing up mine and have mostly only the servo and radio install left.

If you ignore the textual instructions and just go by the pictures, it takes 1/2 as long :P. Seriously, I think those things were written so that one could build them w/o the pics vs. a supplement. The way some things that become obvious after looking at the parts and pictures are described had me unnecessarily scratching my head at times. "Oh, all that to describe that little step?" Not a complaint - rather have extra info than not enough - just an observation.

The only step where I didn't think enough info was given was the "control snake" part, which says "cut to length", but doesn't specify said length. A new builder might leave too much tubing such that it interferes with servo travel.

I lost a bit of time to the non-standard motor install (check alternate motors against the bolt pattern of the recommended one) and not having CA kicker, so I'd say I'll probably have 6-10 hours total by the time I'm done. Speaking of, think I'll go finish .
tailStrike is offline Find More Posts by tailStrike
Old Aug 11, 2012, 06:47 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
We got ours on Mar 21 and finished it on May 1. Some delay on the landing gear and
finding the right paint.

whoah . that is a sweet landing gear set up , if you dont mind me asking where did you get it .the inflatable tires are a nice touch as well, mine looks like a five year old made it."dont get me wrong it does the job"but yours looks soooo much cleaner
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Jun 2011
265 Posts
This is actually a DX7 programming question, but since I am trying to program FunCub flaps I thought that I might find an answer here. The FunCub is my first airplane with flaps. Because the flap servos require opposite travel, I am operating the right flap servo from the Flap channel and then mixing Flaps to the Gear channel for the left flap. I got everything working fine until I advanced the throttle with the flaps fully lowered. The right flap (on the Flap channel) went to the full up position and the left flap moved to the mid position. When I advanced the throttle with the flaps in the mid position, the right flap (on the Flap channel) went to the full up position but the left flap stayed in the mid position. It appears that the throttle is only affecting the Flap2 position. I have searched all of the settings and cannot find any connection between throttle position and the Flap channel. Has anyone experienced this?
Ramblin is online now Find More Posts by Ramblin
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:12 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,490 Posts
Did you inhibit the gear switch?

You can do this with a program mix using any mix from 1-4. Mix gear to gear and set values at -100%, -100%. SW: on, offset; 0.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by THESANDMAN View Post
whoah . that is a sweet landing gear set up , if you dont mind me asking where did you get it .the inflatable tires are a nice touch as well, mine looks like a five year old made it."dont get me wrong it does the job"but yours looks soooo much cleaner
http://www.cublandinggear.com/
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:54 PM
Electrocuted
SW Louisiana
Joined Jun 2002
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
finding the right paint.

Nice
RC_AVIGATOR is online now Find More Posts by RC_AVIGATOR
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post

You can do this with a program mix using any mix from 1-4. Mix gear to gear and set values at -100%, -100%. SW: on, offset; 0.
??? I don't understand. Can you explain in more detail?

I mixed Flap to Gear and got both flaps working. The problem was the interaction of the Throttle to Flap.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2011
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post

Thanks. I did not know to inhibit the gear switch. Where is that described in the manual?
I created a new model on the Tx and set it up as you described and everything works. I still have a bizarre interaction between the throttle and the flaps on the first model I set up. Have you ever seen that?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:56 AM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,490 Posts
The gear switch thing is not in the manual.

I don't know all the other aspects of your set-up. If you have Flap set to System in the Input Select screen make sure you have Auto set to INH in the Flap System screen.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2