Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
cubcrafter60's Avatar
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,481 Posts
Gary, My only time flying off the water was at Camp Far West (near Beale AFB). I live about as close to the water as you can here at Clearlake and still stay dry! Problem is we have a bit of an algae problem at our end right now so unless you want a custom camo job on your FunCub best to keep it out! (believe me trying to get that algae off is worse than cleaning castor oil of an IC plane)! There are however, a few 'clear' spots around the lake to fly from! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diversion: My Easy Star Hack
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:47 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Gary, My only time flying off the water was at Camp Far West (near Beale AFB). I live about as close to the water as you can here at Clearlake and still stay dry! Problem is we have a bit of an algae problem at our end right now so unless you want a custom camo job on your FunCub best to keep it out! (believe me trying to get that algae off is worse than cleaning castor oil of an IC plane)! There are however, a few 'clear' spots around the lake to fly from! ~ Robin
Hi Robin,

Algae! What a drag... All that water and no float. Is it always there in summer?

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 12:06 AM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
cubcrafter60's Avatar
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,481 Posts
Gary, Oh yea! Right now it looks like split pea soup (not exaggerating) and I smells just great! Ahhh country living! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diversion: My Easy Star Hack
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:04 AM
Registered User
JGuilty13's Avatar
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,344 Posts
Question guys, I have the stock recommended himax 840kv motor with the recommended 13x4 APC prop and I get very good performance with it. I would like to put a 3-bladed prop on, but have no idea how to figure out what would be equivalent to an APC 13x4.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jordan
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 11:15 AM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Thanks Bill,

I thought of that as I was designing it and probably will add that as an option. Yes they are in stock and ready to ship!

Cheers!

Gary
Gary,

When will you have the motor mount option be ready. I really like it. Once you offer that you will have solved the flexyflyer front end of the fuselage. Powerful motors can be used without worrying about vibration. I look forward to see the optional motor mount.

Bill
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:54 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2012
11 Posts
L.o.l:d
moneytrain is offline Find More Posts by moneytrain
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:31 PM
Registered User
ddog343's Avatar
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Question guys, I have the stock recommended himax 840kv motor with the recommended 13x4 APC prop and I get very good performance with it. I would like to put a 3-bladed prop on, but have no idea how to figure out what would be equivalent to an APC 13x4.

What would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Jordan
Jordan, I've run a Mas 12x6x3 on the stock setup, since day one. If you'd like the power #'s let me know...also running a CC bec along with the 36ampTbird ESC
I kinda think that setup pulled around 30Amps/330Watts in the air. GdLk.
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 02, 2012, 09:37 PM
Registered User
JGuilty13's Avatar
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,344 Posts
Ddog, I'd love to know the power numbers! Please post if you could what cc bec are you using? Thanks for any further info, I'll probably order that prop tomorrow.

Jordan
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Last edited by JGuilty13; Aug 02, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:36 AM
Registered User
ddog343's Avatar
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Ddog, I'd love to know the power numbers! Please post if you could what cc bec are you using? Thanks for any further info, I'll probably order that prop tomorrow.

Jordan
Ok, Here's the run down... The in-flight peak readings over 3 flights averaged: 30.1Amps/343.8Watts.... also 2 static (in-house) test averaged the following peaks:
38.5Amps/436.9Watts.... Again these where (Peak) readings... I really like this motor /prop combo, only 1 bent shaft so far out of 3 or 4 major "dumb thumb" incidents. The Mas prop is exceptionally durable. You want a laugh, ck out my blog video of the F/C "cartwheelin" maiden crash. Unbelievably, no damage and I continued flying. Anyhow, hopes this helps and Good Luck!

oh, 10AmpCC Bec.... and all power test where done using a 3s2600/35C Batteries
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Last edited by ddog343; Aug 03, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 10:47 AM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Gary,

When will you have the motor mount option be ready. I really like it. Once you offer that you will have solved the flexyflyer front end of the fuselage. Powerful motors can be used without worrying about vibration. I look forward to see the optional motor mount.

Bill
Hi Bill,

The motor mount option is underway at the moment. The design has to retro fit to the Floor/Stiffener that is on sale now. What it will do is allow star mount (can in front) outrunner motors to mount to a standard firewall that forks onto the firedeck. At least that's my thinking at the moment. The Stiffener won't change - the optional motor mount will adapt to it.

The Floor/Stiffener was built to dampen the sympathetic vibration that sets up and sometimes causes problems with the stock mount.

My theory is once the vibration gets started it goes viral in a sense at the frequency of RPM and continues until something comes apart or the pilot can get off the throttle to stop it. It's very quick...

The Stiffener is to interrupt this process.

I believe drilling and tapping the incidence adjustment screw lands and using a washer between it and the rail mount for incidence adjustment ( if necessary) and adding the additional 4 screws is a prudent thing to do also.

This traps the motor mount between the screw head and the rail mount - otherwise you are just rocking on it with the 2 screw stock config.

In my situation my motor mount is flush on the rails and no incidence change seems to be necessary.

It seems I''ve gotten a little chatty... In answer to your question - very soon

Thanks for your encouragement!

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:57 PM
Registered User
Prof100's Avatar
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Hi Bill,

The motor mount option is underway at the moment. The design has to retro fit to the Floor/Stiffener that is on sale now. What it will do is allow star mount (can in front) outrunner motors to mount to a standard firewall that forks onto the firedeck. At least that's my thinking at the moment. The Stiffener won't change - the optional motor mount will adapt to it.

The Floor/Stiffener was built to dampen the sympathetic vibration that sets up and sometimes causes problems with the stock mount.

My theory is once the vibration gets started it goes viral in a sense at the frequency of RPM and continues until something comes apart or the pilot can get off the throttle to stop it. It's very quick...

The Stiffener is to interrupt this process.

I believe drilling and tapping the incidence adjustment screw lands and using a washer between it and the rail mount for incidence adjustment ( if necessary) and adding the additional 4 screws is a prudent thing to do also.

This traps the motor mount between the screw head and the rail mount - otherwise you are just rocking on it with the 2 screw stock config.

In my situation my motor mount is flush on the rails and no incidence change seems to be necessary.

It seems I''ve gotten a little chatty... In answer to your question - very soon

Thanks for your encouragement!

Cheers!

Gary
Gary,

OK, it alll makes sense.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:36 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,466 Posts
Well I guess it wasn't too long after all.

I was able to come up with a design that retro fits to a new Rev. Firedeck.

So the people that have just ordered from me will get the updated firedeck which will allow them to install the Optional Motor Mount if they choose to in the future.

Contact me if you want to add an Optional Motor Mount to your order before I ship to save double shipping. I'll ship all orders I have now on Monday.

Thanks everybody for your interest and support!

Cheers!

Gary
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Last edited by GLM; Aug 03, 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:44 PM
Registered User
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,477 Posts
Great work Gary, looks really good.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 06:45 PM
GLM
AMA 209854
GLM's Avatar
Check Six!
Joined Oct 2003
1,466 Posts
Thanks Turner!
GLM is offline Find More Posts by GLM
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:12 PM
Registered User
Australia, NSW, Harrington Park
Joined Apr 2008
201 Posts
Fun Cub Power Train

Hi Guys,
Amazing thread on the Fun Cub.
I have yet to read all 805 pages but I am working on it!

Regarding the power train, I appreciate that I will take full responsibility for whatever I buy and install but a little clarification would be appreciated.

I am based in NSW Australia and have been searching the web.
I would prefer to support Australian retailers but am prepared to order from elsewhere and "mix and match" items if that will provide a matched set up.

As far as I can make out there will be no Fun Cub kits available in Oz for another couple of weeks ( unless any one knows better?)
Before I place a back order I have been researching the power train.
I am not after a budget installation neither am I after maximum "grunt" ( so you might well ask what am I after apart from a matched set of items that work well together? ) but so far there are two power train sets I have identified.

www.worldhobbies.com/product/MPX332624_item.html
offer what I believe is the stock Multiplex set up (can any one confirm that this is the Multiplex recommendation?) priced at $190 (Australia, approximately the same in US $)
It is a Himax C 3522-0990 motor with accessories, MULTIcont BL-40 S-BEC speed controller for a 13"x4".
The kV is not stated which is not helpful but I am hoping some one has this knowledge and can clarify the difference of performance of the two power trains.

http://www.xc-rc.com.au/index.php?ma...oducts_id=1438
offer what is claimed to be "tuned for better performance compared to factory recommendation" with the Himax 3516, 840kV motor with accessories, MT40A, 5.5V SBEC ESC running an APC 13x6.5 E prop on 3S LiPo.
Priced at $135 it is $55 cheaper than the World Hobbies price.

This is where I display my ignorance of electric motor specifications and effect of propellor size but once the kV of the Himax C 3522-0990 is known, what theoretical difference should there be in performance with different kV/prop combinations?

Any information gratefully received,
Regards
Tony
aerotony is offline Find More Posts by aerotony
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Fun Cub sinowace Hitec/Multiplex USA 14 Oct 09, 2011 04:43 PM
Discussion Multiplex Fun Jet at the lake bah7566 FPV Talk 31 Jan 03, 2010 09:19 AM
For Sale Multiplex Fun Jet -- PRICE DROP Toby W Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Dec 28, 2009 09:51 AM
Video Multiplex Fun Jet FPV set up test bah7566 Electric Plane Talk 0 Dec 25, 2009 10:05 PM
Wanted multiplex fun-jet or trade! heli123 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2009 11:02 AM