SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:21 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
Here are a few photos and a screen capture of my FunCub modified for FPV. I am just using it as a test platform at the moment, slowly incorporating the Eagle Tree hardware. The latest test involved using the guardian stabilisation which is very impressive. I'll provide some video later when I have the time to get to a decent location.

Enjoy
Where did you mount the Guardian? I bought a Guardian and installed iton a foam delta Superfly and 2D is incredible. I could turn this twitchy delta into an aerial platform because it is so smooth even in 10-15 mph winds. I have a second Guardian and would like to try it in my Fubcub.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:24 AM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
201 Posts
Waterproofing Servos and ESCs

I learned from the CL-415 Water Bomber thread that a lot of the guys are using Plasti-Dip which is a rubberized coating. Comes red, blue,yellow, and black as a liquid or a spray.

http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:27 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Where did you mount the Guardian? I bought a Guardian and installed iton a foam delta Superfly and 2D is incredible. I could turn this twitchy delta into an aerial platform because it is so smooth even in 10-15 mph winds. I have a second Guardian and would like to try it in my Fubcub.
I fitted the Guardian behind the motor and forward of the battery. Yes it is amazing technology - put the airframe in any (and I mean any ) attitude, let go of the sticks and it returns to level flight quicker than I could on my own. Coupled with heading hold it becomes very powerful and great fun .
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Model Tech Blue Max II
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:38 AM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I fitted the Guardian behind the motor and forward of the battery. Yes it is amazing technology - put the airframe in any (and I mean any ) attitude, let go of the sticks and it returns to level flight quicker than I could on my own. Coupled with heading hold it becomes very powerful and great fun .

Thanks. I understandwhere you mounted it.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A123 2S 2500 mah wiring diagram
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
Fly Seaplanes
Sandy Hook, CT.
Joined Jun 2009
105 Posts
Here is a video about Waterproofing RC gear. http://www.how2rc.com/Basics%20Waterproofing.html
I used Corrosion Block on my new Keychain HD Video camcorder and it recorded under water for several minutes while I got the canoe to rescue an overturned boat.
Fviking is offline Find More Posts by Fviking
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:32 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Was able to get back out to the field this past weekend to try the FC for the first time with ailerons and flaps (had to originally maiden with only rudd/elevator due to faulty wing servos). Plane flew like an absolute dream and take offs and landings were picture perfect everytime. Im using the stock recommended Himax set up and am happy with the performance.

Ive been flying for about 8 years now and this is my first plane with flaps lol. Im gunna have to dial them back a bit......when I hit the switch, my FC pitched up a lot. I thought I was gunna loose it for a second, but was able to regain control and float back in. Overall Im extremely happy with this model and cant wait to take it back to the lake. The water take offs and landings are my favorite.

So a 3s 4000 isnt too big for this model?
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGuilty13 View Post
Was able to get back out to the field this past weekend to try the FC for the first time with ailerons and flaps (had to originally maiden with only rudd/elevator due to faulty wing servos). Plane flew like an absolute dream and take offs and landings were picture perfect everytime. Im using the stock recommended Himax set up and am happy with the performance.

Ive been flying for about 8 years now and this is my first plane with flaps lol. Im gunna have to dial them back a bit......when I hit the switch, my FC pitched up a lot. I thought I was gunna loose it for a second, but was able to regain control and float back in. Overall Im extremely happy with this model and cant wait to take it back to the lake. The water take offs and landings are my favorite.

So a 3s 4000 isnt too big for this model?
i was using those size batteries for while since i have a few ,but they put alot of stress on the fusalage . my funcub started to get stress cracks ,right where the landing gear is ,but in the inside ( the stress was from al sorts of landing,"grass and paved runways") . the landing gear on this model isnt really made for paved runways . it lands so much better and softer on grass. "anyway" i had to reglue the stressesd parts .i used gorrllla glue with some balsa . also it doesnt fly as nice with the bigger battery "as it does with a lighter battery" ,so i went back to a 2200~2600 battery.
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:48 AM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,356 Posts
Thanks Sandman, Ill probably just stick with my 2200 and 2450 packs.
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Jul 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
If you pitched up a lot when lowering flaps you were going to fast, they will also have more effect if they bang down rather than lowering slowly.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, PA, West Chester
Joined May 2012
107 Posts
Question to the Fun Cub experten regarding set-up. I have an E-Flite Stearman that I'd rather not destroy dumb-thumbing (at least not right away) with the recommended set up being Power 15, 40A Pro ESC, and JR MN48 and MC35 servos.

I realize the Power 15 is more than adequate, if not complete overkill, but would like to get into fixed wing with a quality foam plane like this and use as many "off my shelf" components as possible. I've read that the Power 10 offers more than enough performance, you think the 15 is possible provided I keep the power under control? If anything,maybe I'll be the one who serves as a warning to others! I can see some motor mount reinforcements with this power set up.

Thanks!
Citationfxr is offline Find More Posts by Citationfxr
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:16 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
Should the nose be flat or angled to the right?

Fairly hard one-point landing smushed the nose of my FunCub a little. Everything is put back together pretty well but the very front surface of the nose is cocked off to the right just a bit and I'm wondering if this is the way that it's supposed to be??? Almost looks like it's made that way to angle thrust a bit. Cockpit fits pretty good so I trying to figure out if one side is compressed from the hatch forward. Can someone take a look for me and tell me what a virgin FunCub nose looks like? Thanks. LanceW
lancew is offline Find More Posts by lancew
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:52 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citationfxr View Post
Question to the Fun Cub experten regarding set-up. I have an E-Flite Stearman that I'd rather not destroy dumb-thumbing (at least not right away) with the recommended set up being Power 15, 40A Pro ESC, and JR MN48 and MC35 servos.

I realize the Power 15 is more than adequate, if not complete overkill, but would like to get into fixed wing with a quality foam plane like this and use as many "off my shelf" components as possible. I've read that the Power 10 offers more than enough performance, you think the 15 is possible provided I keep the power under control? If anything,maybe I'll be the one who serves as a warning to others! I can see some motor mount reinforcements with this power set up.

Thanks!
That's more than enough power. I would definitely recommend the aftermarket aluminum motor mount that headsuprc.com sells. You don't have to fly with the throttle wide open all the time but its nice to have the juice if you want to go vertical The only down side might be weight- you'll want to push the battery pretty far back in order to balance on the CG. you might need a little weight on the tail to offset the motor weight. It is an awesome performing plane and a great way to get into fixed wing aircraft. Another recommended modification is to strengthen up the landing gear-- look on the previous page for some ideas, but keep in simple.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Jul 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancew View Post
Fairly hard one-point landing smushed the nose of my FunCub a little. Everything is put back together pretty well but the very front surface of the nose is cocked off to the right just a bit and I'm wondering if this is the way that it's supposed to be??? Almost looks like it's made that way to angle thrust a bit. Cockpit fits pretty good so I trying to figure out if one side is compressed from the hatch forward. Can someone take a look for me and tell me what a virgin FunCub nose looks like? Thanks. LanceW
Just took a look at mine, and yes- there is about a 1/8 inch offset to the right. just make sure your prop adapter is true and straight and that the prop is balance. The FC has a reputation for vibration if the power train is not in tune or if the screws on the mounting plate are not tight enough. The aluminum motor mount is worth every penny.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Jul 23, 2012, 07:59 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D. View Post
Thanks Robin. Yeah just the foam. I'm trying to see how light it can be made without it getting too heavy.

Mine is 1070g ready to fly.

It has a 70g Hacker A30-28s, a 45g Hacker X-40 SB Pro ESC, a 190g 2200 mah 3S battery, a 5g HK servo slow down/reverser, a 13g HK 3A switching BEC, about 40g of HS-55 servos, about 36g of HS-82 MG servos and a 17g Hitec Optima 7 receiver in it. A little bit of fiberglass inside the motor compartment. All the stickers are on it as well.

Those sticker sheets were pretty heavy. I just weighed some sticker sheets for another model about the same size and they weigh 130g. Maybe a third of that, 40g, goes on the plane so without the stickers it might be about 614g. Still including a little fiberglass and some wire. I doubt the glass and wire adds up to much more than 14g.

It looks like the foam with gear, control rods and plastic bits would be around 600g. I just checked the gear, including the wheels. It is 69g (mine is modified, stock might be about 60g), so without the gear it would be 530g or so. Hope this helps.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:29 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancew View Post
Take a close look at this photo: http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...%20resized.jpg
There is a definite angle on the front. I also took a real close look at mine and measuring forward from the engine cylinders to the front, in line with the motor mounting screws. I get about 15mm on the right and 18mm on the left.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks