HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 07:27 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTF Thumper View Post
CA and Regular CA only. Foam safe CA will not stick. Hot glue sticks well for repair.
dammit, i just built mine using epoxy. oh well, it is plenty strong, and i haven't had any problems yet after about an hour of flight time. keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I towed a glider today. Was quite a messy fiasco. the glider wasn't trimmed for takeoff speed of the Cub. we tried twice and I figured I didn't want to have a crash.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:01 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRishi View Post
As you may be able to see from the recent discussions you can turn this puppy anyway you like. If you use aileron and elevator there should be no problem as long as you have setup the differential on the ailerons as described in the instructions.

The rudder is crucial on the ground but luckily the FC doesn't have a long enough taxi for this to be a problem.

Get out and fly it!

Cheers

Rishi
Hi Rishi, thanks.

What control throws are people using on the fun cub? I built it per instructions I believe; the ailerons seem to have a lot of travel, the rudder is ok, the elevator travel seems a bit limited compared to the ailerons and rudder, the flaps are fine.

Are people using exponential &/or limited travel say on the ailerons...? Any amount of mixing used?
Matt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Matt_flyer
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:42 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,068 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_flyer View Post
Hi Rishi, thanks.

What control throws are people using on the fun cub? I built it per instructions I believe; the ailerons seem to have a lot of travel, the rudder is ok, the elevator travel seems a bit limited compared to the ailerons and rudder, the flaps are fine.

Are people using exponential &/or limited travel say on the ailerons...? Any amount of mixing used?
i have about 1/3" throws on ailerons, and it is definitely not over-responsive. i had trouble with the elevator at first too (not enough throw, ended in a crash when it wouldn't pull up in time after a dive) so i put a lengthened arm on the servo which increased throw.
Old Jul 07, 2012, 11:59 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
I set mine per instructions using mg-90, I have all push rods as close to thier respective flight surface and love it. sorry this vid is banned in Germany.
Cubs R Us (9 min 26 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:16 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
How much weight are people adding to the tail of the funcub to get the cog right, what cog is used, the same as the manual says 80mm?

Edit: to answer my own question heh I did some reading and 70mm seems to be liked. At the point with the 2200mah battery & 141gram motor I've added about 4.8 grams to the tail and it balances out just slightly nose heavy. The battery is slid all the way back. 70mm is on the servo wire.
Matt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Matt_flyer
Last edited by Matt_flyer; Jul 08, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 04:45 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,158 Posts
14g doesn´t sound like much. I didn´t need any, but I had to place my 3S2200mAH as far back as it went. The rear end of the battery is flush with the front line of the hole in the fuselage. Weight of my Turnigy 3635/8 is 102g, which helps keeping the nose down. (In flight, it can keep the nose up indefinetly... )

Point-to-point travel on my elevator is ~35mm, rudder ~40mm. I dont use expo or limit on any channel. That´s what works for me.

Just find a calm day to maiden her, and see how she behaves on a comfortable altitude.

/J
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:22 AM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
dammit, i just built mine using epoxy. oh well, it is plenty strong, and i haven't had any problems yet after about an hour of flight time. keeping fingers crossed it stays that way.
Should be OK, mine was doing great until I was flying inverted 5 feet off the deck and dumb thumbed it into the ground. I had used Foam safe CA and the impact knocked her almost back to kit form LOL. good news no broken pieces so maybe a blessing in disguise. Put her back together with Regular CA and have had no issues. Good luck
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jul 08, 2012, 12:43 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,068 Posts
grrrrrrr, i LOST my rear wing joiner =( anyone know where i can get a replacement? all i can find is the "small parts set" which is all the non-foam bits and costs $26 edit: nevermind, it turns out my dog had gotten it off the table and taken it outside.
Last edited by baconflyer; Jul 08, 2012 at 11:04 PM. Reason: found it.
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:02 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jan 2007
46 Posts
I have had mine for a while now, probably 40+ flights on it
I have 18 planes in the hanger now, this is by far my favorite, why?
It's fun

Early is offline Find More Posts by Early
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jan 2007
46 Posts
Running a 3300 3s and getting flight times on 16+ using the stock setup
The only mod I did other than the flaps was put lite plywood down the center with Velcro
Also have Velcro on my batteries.
The 3300's have to go in on edge
Early is offline Find More Posts by Early
Old Jul 08, 2012, 01:17 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Whats going on?

Darn,
I let my FC get away from me a couple of weeks ago, and it went in 45º. Which bent the motor shaft, and the prop adapter.
I got 2 replacement shafts and a different adapter.
Flew it 2 days ago and I landed in tall grass like usual. But was windy and it didn't land as nice as I wanted. And Broke the shaft (at the snap ring grove.)
Replaced and went up today, and made a good flat smooth landing in the tall grass.
And when I retrieved it the shaft was broken again
Seems that the new shafts are quite brittle.
Any one else had this problem?
I mean I have landed in the tall grass lots of times, before I bent the orginal shaft. Now it seems to do nothing but break.
It is a 4MM shaft.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:50 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,623 Posts
ive been having problems with my funcub for about a month now .it had around 30~40 flights on her, the front vibrates on hi throttle. and it looks like i have a bent shaft or an unbalanced prop. i replaced the shaft . balanced the prop and still the same problem i losen tighten the motor mount and nada . i finally decided to inspect the inside on the fuselage and waaa laaa . the fusage was coming apart at the seams. i didnt notice before since i have colored shipping tape over the crease on both sides .i reglued the area and the plane is as good as new. so my point is anyone having vibration problems check the fuselage it may be the culprit
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Old Jul 08, 2012, 06:56 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Darn,
I let my FC get away from me a couple of weeks ago, and it went in 45º. Which bent the motor shaft, and the prop adapter.
I got 2 replacement shafts and a different adapter.
Flew it 2 days ago and I landed in tall grass like usual. But was windy and it didn't land as nice as I wanted. And Broke the shaft (at the snap ring grove.)
Replaced and went up today, and made a good flat smooth landing in the tall grass.
And when I retrieved it the shaft was broken again
Seems that the new shafts are quite brittle.
Any one else had this problem?
I mean I have landed in the tall grass lots of times, before I bent the orginal shaft. Now it seems to do nothing but break.
It is a 4MM shaft.
It's rare, but you know what you have to do. Quit landing in the tall grass or buy a motor with a larger shaft.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:20 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2010
1,623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
It's rare, but you know what you have to do. Quit landing in the tall grass or buy a motor with a larger shaft.
thats what i did, im running a motor with a 5mm shaft,
THESANDMAN is offline Find More Posts by THESANDMAN
Last edited by THESANDMAN; Jul 09, 2012 at 01:40 PM.