HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I just received the Hobby People 4th of July sale advertisement (I previously lived/worked in the US) and they have the FunCub kit on sale for US$99.99 .

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...uncub-kit.html
dammit, just bought mine for $114
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:13 PM
Česká republika, Jihomoravský, Brno
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk31 View Post
I guess it depends on what one is looking for. So far I didn't know CoG has anything to do with weight or acrobaticability. But again do you think that when they wrote the manual, they had in mind 4S /1.5 kilo acrobatic setups and they came up with the 8cm?
Haha, no way they did Although I don't doubt they tried overpowered flying bricks for fun.
I'm considering things from the widest possible perspective. CoG is important, but all the other variables like pendulum effect of our "payload" (battery etc.) may give each plane very distinct feel in the air, not necessarily good or bad.
It's the same with performance gliders, you get some recommended starting point from the manufacturer but to make it signal thermals well, you need to find your own sweet spot That may take tens of flights easily.
baui2000 is offline Find More Posts by baui2000
Old Jun 28, 2012, 05:57 PM
Australia, VIC, Lara
Joined Jun 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Wayne,

It looks good in the photos. Make sure you video the first flights.

Bill
It actually had its maiden last Tuesday evening. It flew great however I didn't try the flaps out. I thought I'd get used to the way it flies first. I took the photo's prior to the flight as you just never know whether it will look the same afterwards.

As far as the video goes, I need to purchase a video camera - something that I do need. Can anyone out there give recommendations?

I was hoping to give the bird a go on the weekend but the weather forecast is going to be c in Melbourne, Australia.

Wayne
Bluey_65 is offline Find More Posts by Bluey_65
Old Jun 28, 2012, 06:19 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey_65 View Post
It actually had its maiden last Tuesday evening. It flew great however I didn't try the flaps out. I thought I'd get used to the way it flies first. I took the photo's prior to the flight as you just never know whether it will look the same afterwards.

As far as the video goes, I need to purchase a video camera - something that I do need. Can anyone out there give recommendations?

I was hoping to give the bird a go on the weekend but the weather forecast is going to be c in Melbourne, Australia.

Wayne
Flaps are play toys. You will play with them.

For a camera just search RCgroups and look for HD #16 KEYCAM. It's $40 US and weighs 15 ggrams. Go to page 1 and there are a list of legitimate sellers.
Prof100 is offline Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:19 PM
Big Jim
United States, ID, Mountain Home
Joined Jun 2011
2,958 Posts
Here is my Cub all bright and ready for night flights.
Saturday Night Combat 16 June 12.wmv (13 min 24 sec)
RTF Thumper is offline Find More Posts by RTF Thumper
Old Jun 29, 2012, 06:32 AM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
dammit, just bought mine for $114
Do not worry, they charge $14 S&H
olegbabich is offline Find More Posts by olegbabich
Old Jun 29, 2012, 10:40 AM
Grampa Tony
Lawrenceville, GA - Northeast Atlanta
Joined Jan 2009
1,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus View Post
I just received the Hobby People 4th of July sale advertisement (I previously lived/worked in the US) and they have the FunCub kit on sale for US$99.99 .

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...uncub-kit.html
Is this the best deal going? Can you find better deals from time to time? Seems like I got mine for $90 and free shipping, but that was some time ago.

I need to <ahem> replace the airframe. Pity - this was my night flyer and it has 9 meters of lights in it. Replacing the lights will cost more than replacing the airframe!

Grampa Tony
annarelli is offline Find More Posts by annarelli
Old Jun 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Has anyone else had missing parts? I am dead stopped on my assembly. The wing spar joiners in my kit are identical. The front one is supposed to be taller than the one at the rear of the wing. I got two sized for the back of the wing. They are identical, but the manual says parts 30 & 31 are different. And looking at the wing, it makes sense since the wing is in fact thicker at the front. Am I missing something or am I missing the right part???
psdx is offline Find More Posts by psdx
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:26 PM
I can crash anything
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined May 2012
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psdx View Post
Has anyone else had missing parts? I am dead stopped on my assembly. The wing spar joiners in my kit are identical. The front one is supposed to be taller than the one at the rear of the wing. I got two sized for the back of the wing. They are identical, but the manual says parts 30 & 31 are different. And looking at the wing, it makes sense since the wing is in fact thicker at the front. Am I missing something or am I missing the right part???
You are correct. I glued mine in an hour ago and the front one is definately bigger.

Got mine partially assembled now, no thinks to a number of great paint jobs I have seen in this thread, I will paint mine. LHS said testors spray paint would be fine. Can anyone confirm that? Says foam safe but....???
Jimmy
Rescuejim is offline Find More Posts by Rescuejim
Old Jun 29, 2012, 11:55 PM
Romania, Bucuresti, Bucharest
Joined Oct 2011
134 Posts
Quote:
psdx I bet you didn't unpack the small pieces bag yet

I fell for the same mistake when I bought mine, you should have 3 carbon rods, one longer and two shorter, but they are packed tight and the two shorter are the same length as the longer one if put together. And the pieces are packed tightly, I hope it is the same for you! Just check again, I had to call the dealer and they just asked me... did you unpack the pieces?
bikerboy_id is offline Find More Posts by bikerboy_id
Old Jun 30, 2012, 12:38 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,063 Posts
motor is here, just need to scrounge up some money to buy some servos... then again, i have 2 easystar servos in my flying wing that i never use, and a couple in my old beat up bae hawk that won't fly straight, and one or two lying around the workshop... maybe it's time for some "servo harvesting"?
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Jun 30, 2012, 05:02 AM
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy_id View Post
psdx I bet you didn't unpack the small pieces bag yet

I fell for the same mistake when I bought mine, you should have 3 carbon rods, one longer and two shorter, but they are packed tight and the two shorter are the same length as the longer one if put together. And the pieces are packed tightly, I hope it is the same for you! Just check again, I had to call the dealer and they just asked me... did you unpack the pieces?
I don't believe I am missing a bag of parts, and I have the wing spars themselves. It's the spar joiners I have an issue with. The plastic parts where the wing bolts attach. I did the flaps and ailerons on the wings - basically everything I can do, except for joining the wing. Plus I actually have the right quantity of parts - just that the two spar joiners are the same instead of different. Again, I am going on what the manual says and what I see on the wing. If someone could measure the height of their front/rear spar joiners, that would be great. The two I have are 13/16" (22mm) tall.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
Done Posting, Gone Flying
Sweden, Uppsala County, Balsta
Joined Jun 2012
1,146 Posts
Quote:
...If someone could measure the height of their front/rear spar joiners, that would be great. The two I have are 13/16" (22mm) tall.
Sorry to hear about that. Must be awful to get the wrong parts.
My rear is 22mm high. Front 27mm(-ish).
Length tube end to tube end: Rear: 86mm Front: 93mm. Rougly, as I can't measure precisely since I covered them with tape.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
/JJ
JNJO is online now Find More Posts by JNJO
Old Jun 30, 2012, 10:26 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
Called TH yesterday, and they geve me the Multiplex number.
Called and told them what I was missing.
They said they would get the parts and ship them out.
What great service and great company.
JIm
Just give MX a call and they will send out what you need.
I can't find the number now.
But, Call Tower Hobbys and they will give it to you.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Jul 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNJO View Post
Sorry to hear about that. Must be awful to get the wrong parts.
My rear is 22mm high. Front 27mm(-ish).
Length tube end to tube end: Rear: 86mm Front: 93mm. Rougly, as I can't measure precisely since I covered them with tape.

Hope you get it sorted quickly.
/JJ
Perfect. That's what I needed to know - 27mm is the one I am missing. Thanks!