WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 23, 2012, 12:28 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,491 Posts
I'm upgrading the motor on my FunCub
Going to a Sk3 Turnigy 3548 840kv, anyone using one?
Will be going to a 12x6 prop
Previously setup with a Turnigy NTM 1000kv 3542 and 11x5.5
Good flight times and performance with that setup
planex is online now Find More Posts by planex
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:09 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planex View Post
so why are you changing? I'm going to be using a similar 3542 1185kv with 11x5.5.

3548 is a bit on heavy side, don't think seen any 48, maybe if your towing? A 3542 should be good.
Matt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Matt_flyer
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:39 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Will you be using 3 cell Lipos? Going from 1000kV to 840kV will be a huge step down in speed. It will be very slow compared to your current motor. I have a 920kV motor with a 12x6 APC and it's definitely not a racer, not even on full throttle. That 840 kV motor with that prop will probably not pull more than 15 amps or so. Maybe even less. I like to fly the cub slow anyway, but it can be good to have a little speed at the ready if you need it.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:48 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_flyer View Post
so why are you changing? I'm going to be using a similar 3542 1185kv with 11x5.5.

3548 is a bit on heavy side, don't think seen any 48, maybe if your towing? A 3542 should be good.
I don't like the 4mm shaft, have broken 2 bench testing on that motor
Also the bearings aren't as good quality as the SK3 series - I am running a 1250kv 3542 in my DogFighter and its very smooth and quiet
Yeah that's what I was wondering but then again only 6mm difference which isn't dramatically bigger
I was thinking 3542 1000kv but everyone using the standard Multiplex power pack seems very happy with it, so wanted something like the Himax motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
Will you be using 3 cell Lipos? Going from 1000kV to 840kV will be a huge step down in speed. It will be very slow compared to your current motor. I have a 920kV motor with a 12x6 APC and it's definitely not a racer, not even on full throttle. That 840 kV motor with that prop will probably not pull more than 15 amps or so. Maybe even less. I like to fly the cub slow anyway, but it can be good to have a little speed at the ready if you need it.
Yep 3000 mah 3s, was originally using 2200 but have just upgraded to 3000 packs but also have 4s packs if need be
I'm the same as you, don't like flying it fast and not looking for speed, have other planes for that!
I enjoy flying the Cub slow and having fun pulling off low passes, touch and go's, some inverted etc
Would I get more vertical with this motor?
I'm going to try the 13x4 as well, I have a new one here that my 3542 NTM motor couldn't spin!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 03:43 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Yep 3000 mah 3s, was originally using 2200 but have just upgraded to 3000 packs but also have 4s packs if need be
I'm the same as you, don't like flying it fast and not looking for speed, have other planes for that!
I enjoy flying the Cub slow and having fun pulling off low passes, touch and go's, some inverted etc
Would I get more vertical with this motor?
I'm going to try the 13x4 as well, I have a new one here that my 3542 NTM motor couldn't spin!
If you will be using 3 cell and 12x6 or 13x4 then I think the Sk3 Turnigy 3548 840kv will be a little overkill. You would only be pulling 20-30 Amps max from that 50A motor. You should go with a lighter motor about 100-130 grams to keep a good CG.

I have this motor in my Fun Cub. NTM Prop Drive Series 35-36A 910Kv / 350W.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14847
I think it fits the Fun Cub perfectly on 3 cells. I'm using it with a 12x6 APC and it flies slow and with good power on half throttle and on full throttle it has decent speed to do some smaller loops. I don't think I would want a slower motor. I have a video on upload to Youtube right now that I will post as soon as it's done. I'm flying mostly on half throttle or a little above.

I can pull out vertically but not very fast. With a 13x4 it would be even slower and stronger of course. Haven't tried that though. If you'd want more speed with this motor you could try a 11x7 as well. All these props would be well within the limits of the motor as long as you stick to 3 cell packs.
Last edited by Freddan; Jun 23, 2012 at 03:49 AM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:20 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
If my understanding of motors used is correct I would say the 48 is overkill aswell.

3542 seems enough, if you want a setup like you had but with a 5mm shaft consider what I got http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_Motor.html
It's a little faster though.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:58 AM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Here's a short video from last night. I think I'm flying a little above half throttle. I can go much slower no problem. And with flaps it can get rediculously slow.
Multiplex Fun Cub chopping through gnats (2 min 1 sec)
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddan View Post
Here's a short video from last night. I think I'm flying a little above half throttle. I can go much slower no problem. And with flaps it can get rediculously slow.
http://youtu.be/MntFCzsShWE
Nice that is some good slow flying and it can go even slower? Nice thanks. I look forward to when mine arrives. Hopefully even with the faster motor I will still be able to fly slow like that, but also a bit faster as I want to transition to faster (less floaty) planes soon as possible. Other planes Durafly corsair and E-flite Rhapsody are waiting paitently hanging from the ceiling!
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:39 AM
Rookie
Australia, VIC
Joined Jun 2011
1,491 Posts
hmm now I'm thinking it might be over kill also...
Plus the weight is quiet high 174g
I might stick with the 3542 size but go the 1000kv in the SK series rather than the NTM which I had
1000kv SK weighs 141g which is similar to the Himax 3516 0840 at 134g

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=18163

Happy with the way it performs on a 1000kv with an 11x5.5, might try a 12x6 as well
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:33 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,084 Posts
why must hobbyking troll me so? my funcub is here, but my power system is not!
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Jun 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Life is simple Eat, Sleep, Fly
Germany, RP, Kaiserslautern
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
Love them Barn Door Flaps

Thought I would post a couple pictures of today's flying. I love them barn door flaps!!
Timewarp is offline Find More Posts by Timewarp
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:37 AM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,650 Posts
Timewarp - What, a FunCub in Germany without D-EFUN on it! Is that legal?? - I'm just kidding, Nice shot's! And your high contrast paint scheme is pretty striking also! Do you have any photo's of her on the ground? Hopefully I'll have mine back up soon, and be able to rejoin the fun. Have a blast with it! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Maidened my cub

Four months ago, after installing the wood floor, X bracing, and fiberglass to the inside of my nose, I was ready to try out and fly my fun club.
Finally, yesterday the wind was only 5 to 7 miles an hour. (That is considered calm around here).
I took it down to a farm cut field and launched the cub. I spent a few minutes getting it all trimmed out, and flying nicely. I landed and installed a new battery spent the next 15 minutes doing some more flying.
After lunch I took my fresh batteries and my plane back down to the farm field. After a couple a touch and goes, I started using the flaps. I was working on setting the mix, so that the elevator would trim to level flight when the flaps were added. The wind was taking my plane a little ways away over a small rise. I had been flying about 100 feet above me, but now the plane was only 20 feet above the ground.
As I looked down to adjust they elevator, somehow the plane nose over 45° and slammed into the ground. Of course it tore off the landing gear, and bent the motor shaft. But there was hardly any damage to the nose. All my strengthing now paid off. Just a little bit of the foam had torn away from the fiberglass. All I had to do there was reglue the foam to the fiberglass.
Now waiting (not patiently) for new shafts to arrive in the mail. And hopefully when they show up the wind will be down also.
Wish me luck
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Jun 23, 2012, 05:24 PM
Life is simple Eat, Sleep, Fly
Germany, RP, Kaiserslautern
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Timewarp - What, a FunCub in Germany without D-EFUN on it! Is that legal?? - I'm just kidding, Nice shot's! And your high contrast paint scheme is pretty striking also! Do you have any photo's of her on the ground? Hopefully I'll have mine back up soon, and be able to rejoin the fun. Have a blast with it! ~ Robin
No D-EFUN, yea I know I am a slacker lol..... here are a couple of shots when the Fun Cub was first put together way before I added the spinner bling and Hitec logos to the flaps.
Timewarp is offline Find More Posts by Timewarp