SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Mine's Done

Just completed mine and flew it this weekend! It weighs in at 42 oz, is that a bit on the high side? It's not a "rocket", but flies great.

The goodies:
Emax GT2812/10 Motor
APC 11 x 5.5E Prop
Hifei 45A ESC with switchmode BEC
EZ FLITE Lipo Battery 11.1v 2200mah 40C
All from http://www.headsuprc.com

The headsup website states that this motor and prop should pull 47 oz thrust at 24 amps.

Also installed rigid tripod landing gear, aftermarket tailwheel, and home-made wing struts. The gear is a bit too stiff, I will need to work on that or just buy some spares. I do like the wing struts for a little extra rigidity and scale appearance.

Video walkaround:
Multiplex Fun Cub Walkaround (6 min 30 sec)

Flight video:
My "Fun Cub" Project...In Four Minutes (4 min 23 sec)

I had a few issues yesterday with the motor cutting out when accelerating which resulted in a couple hard landings and very short battery life, but then i discovered that the "factory default" settings on the ESC are not correct for this setup. Reprogrammed it and runs good now. Decent power and long run times.

Have fun,

Marc
moronicus is offline Find More Posts by moronicus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:02 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,713 Posts
Phaedra - That's a nice clean paint scheme! I haven't run across to many Belgian civil paint schemes! I've got several photos of Belgian AF Super Cub glider tugs that would also make for a simple but attractive paint scheme.

moronicus - Nice Job on the plane and the video's! What size aluminum tubing did you go with for the struts? I picked up some 3/4", it 'looked' about right in the store but when I got it home it was obviously too large! Are you planning on trying out the floats? It's a blast, but then again I haven't got my electronics wet yet! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Jun 17, 2012 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:14 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Sep 2005
110 Posts
Strange thing happened yesterday. After close to 2 years of perfect flying, I took it out and it vibrated so bad it popped the canopy off.

Everything was exactly the same as it was when I flew it a week ago. Prop perfectly balanced, all the screws were tight. The only difference was that it was 100+F... Maybe the foam softens up in the heat?

I have flown it in scorching heat before, not sure why this happened out of the blue.
sv_1 is offline Find More Posts by sv_1
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
5 Posts
Thanks, Robin!
My struts are 5/16" wide front, 1/4" rear, streamlined aluminum tubing. 5/16 would do fine for the rear also, stronger and easier to work with. I used a dremel to split the lower ends to make a fork, and the 1/4 was much harder to do. I used the hinge because it makes installation easier and keeps the pair together when removed. Also it provides a bit of a weak link so the struts can break away in a crash.
Not planning on the floats, I have a nice field 100 feet from my back gate!
moronicus is offline Find More Posts by moronicus
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:00 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
239 Posts
Tbird 54 ESC linear (heater) BEC not up to snuff w/flaps

Good call Eflapper, I'll look into a separate switching BEC to run my new Hitec 2-HS-82MGs' and 4 HS-55s'. I just bought these servos at the LHS along with the power kit per the shop owners recommdations. Any reservations about these servos?
TIA,
Brian
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Jun 17, 2012, 02:28 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_flyer View Post
I'm from Australia, does that make you normal?
oh. now i feel somewhat stupid =(
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:07 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
I just finished my Fun Cub. It's all set up and tuned and ready for maiden.

I'm not sure if I'm going to apply some decals or just leave it as is. I have cut out some "Multiplex" and "D-EFUN" decals but I'm not sure if I want them on. I think I'll maiden it like this and see how it looks in the air.

After getting to know this plane I will put together the floats and update with some images with those as well.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jun 17, 2012, 03:52 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,713 Posts
Geez Guys! We got a us bumper crop of nice looking FunCub's sprouting!
Freddan - Nice job! I realize these are not scale models but I like the more scale like paint schemes on them! IMHO don't put D-EFUN on it or if you do at least rearrange the last three letters (D-ENUF?) or something. I noticed on a German video of a 'Fun Cub Treffen' that several of the planes had Multiplex decals with different colored backgrounds, I'm not sure if they have 'options' in Europe or if these guys trimmed out the red and put them over different colored trim sheet? ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is online now Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FunCub DoubleEnder Project
Old Jun 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Jun 2001
226 Posts
Affixing battery to velcro

I have a problem: I use velcro to secure the battery to the floor of the FC. I can't find the right glue to keep the velcro stuck to the battery compartment floor. Often, when I remove the battery, the glue on the velcro fails and both pieces come out with the battery.

How do you guys secure your power battery? I've tried CA and white Gorilla Glue on the velcro so far. Or...is there a better way than velcro?
wjjones is offline Find More Posts by wjjones
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:15 PM
Life is simple Eat, Sleep, Fly
Germany, RP, Kaiserslautern
Joined Oct 2011
123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjones View Post
I have a problem: I use velcro to secure the battery to the floor of the FC. I can't find the right glue to keep the velcro stuck to the battery compartment floor. Often, when I remove the battery, the glue on the velcro fails and both pieces come out with the battery.

How do you guys secure your power battery? I've tried CA and white Gorilla Glue on the velcro so far. Or...is there a better way than velcro?
I just used hot glue around the edges of the velcro and that has worked for me.
Timewarp is offline Find More Posts by Timewarp
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:18 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,167 Posts
You couid use a strap system or hold lipo in place with foam blocks you can take in and oit of fuse easily.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:38 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,617 Posts
Quote:

What I have used for the last half dozen years is contact cement. I apply it to the foam and the adhesive on the velcro. Let it tack up and press the velcro down. It will not come off with the lipo being removed. Beacons Foam Tac, Welders Glue or, if you can find it, UHU Creativ.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubcrafter60 View Post
Geez Guys! We got a us bumper crop of nice looking FunCub's sprouting!
Freddan - Nice job! I realize these are not scale models but I like the more scale like paint schemes on them! IMHO don't put D-EFUN on it or if you do at least rearrange the last three letters (D-ENUF?) or something. I noticed on a German video of a 'Fun Cub Treffen' that several of the planes had Multiplex decals with different colored backgrounds, I'm not sure if they have 'options' in Europe or if these guys trimmed out the red and put them over different colored trim sheet? ~ Robin
Thanks! Yes, you're probably right. I felt the same way.
I'm in Europe (Sweden) and my kit didn't come with any fancy colored decals.

Quote:

I have self adhesive velcro on a roll. It's perfect. It sticks really well to just about anything, but still it's easily removable if you decide to take it out.

Didn't your Fun cub kit come with 2 pieces of self adhesive velcro? Try those.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jun 17, 2012, 06:39 PM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
640 Posts
Can I get some quick help on the flap setup? I just have a six channel receiver at the moment. I put the ailerons on a y cable to the aileron Channel and one flap servo to gear and the other to aux. Can I mix aux to the gear channel (DX7)? Would it be better to put the Y on the flaps? I should be able to switch the pins at the end of the Y to get the flaps to work together? Been searching without much luck. Hoping to get the flaps working for some flights if the wind calms down a little this evening. Thanks!
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:23 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:

Try using hot glue to secure the velco to the foam and only use a strip or 2 on the battery., no more the 25% of the area glued to the fuse. It won't go anywhere.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE