Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:00 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
My motor weighs 100g which is lighter than the stock motor.

With the alumimun motor mount (8g heavier than stock)

I am nose heavy with my 3S 2650mah pack all the way back as far as it will go.

So anything heavier and you are really going to have to get creative.
I'm also going to use the aluminum mount. I also purchased some stick on weights, hopefully won't need to much. No one seems to mention how much weight they use. Unless the plane flys ok nose heavy?

I've just purchased the funcub so I'm new to the 'funclub' should be a great plane. I purchased it to learn and gain confidence with before flying my Durafly corsair and e-flite Rhapsody. I love how it's able to go so slow with those 'handbrake' flaps but also with the bigger motor I should be able to get used to speed flying for the other planes which are less floaty. It's a high wing it's a good trainer and fun for anyone (love the big wheels suits where I fly)
Matt_flyer is offline Find More Posts by Matt_flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:07 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
I've read about some people, not all, having vibration issues, but it seems overcome-able using some silicone or stick on rubber perhaps, good glue in the mount area, a good trouble free motor, aluminum mount should help. And I might even bother to balance the prop!

Edit: just bought a finger prop balancer.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 02:20 AM
Česká republika, Jihomoravský, Brno
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
I have just finished my rocket like setup yesterday - Hacker A30-14L (143g), 12x5 Master Airscrew prop for the maiden, later 13x4 up to 13x6.5. I will be using a Zippy 4S 2200mAh packs (265g) that are no longer good for a helicopter. With aluminium motor mount and the 4S pack slid all the way back I needed to add 5g ballast to the tail. AUW just over 1250g.

Given that, I think 170g+ motor will be a bit too heavy for this plane and you will probably end up with a flying brick after balancing it. Try checking out G15 motors, though. There are lighter ones with enough power to fly FC to space.
baui2000 is offline Find More Posts by baui2000
Old Jun 16, 2012, 03:56 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baui2000 View Post
I have just finished my rocket like setup yesterday - Hacker A30-14L (143g), 12x5 Master Airscrew prop for the maiden, later 13x4 up to 13x6.5. I will be using a Zippy 4S 2200mAh packs (265g) that are no longer good for a helicopter. With aluminium motor mount and the 4S pack slid all the way back I needed to add 5g ballast to the tail. AUW just over 1250g.

Given that, I think 170g+ motor will be a bit too heavy for this plane and you will probably end up with a flying brick after balancing it. Try checking out G15 motors, though. There are lighter ones with enough power to fly FC to space.
Thanks for the weight tip Your plane should go hard on 4 cells, how much does 3s vs 4s affect the kv output (motor speed)? Do you notice the extra weight affecting the low speed and float-ability much?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 04:13 AM
Česká republika, Jihomoravský, Brno
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_flyer View Post
Thanks for the weight tip Your plane should go hard on 4 cells, how much does 3s vs 4s affect the kv output (motor speed)? Do you notice the extra weight affecting the low speed and float-ability much?
No idea yet, I'm maidening mine later today. Prop speed difference between 3S and 4S should be around 2000rpm. I'm looking for loads of power and kinetic energy with this plane, but I wouldn't mind if it floats
It can still be powered with 3S pack with a smaller prop should the need arise.
baui2000 is offline Find More Posts by baui2000
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:23 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
Hi
how does one avoid this or correct this;
Funcub - Crash (2 min 9 sec)
is their anything else the fun cub might do to beware of? This guy seems to be able to correct them - see at the end
Mpx Funcub, Multiplex Funcub, Rc plane Fantastic (5 min 44 sec)

People seem to really like the fun cub, the guy in the first video is a rarer exception. Did a little reading on the death spiral and it seems trick is not to pull hard back on the elevator and to correct with ailerons, even the rudder, is that correct? Thanks.
Last edited by Matt_flyer; Jun 16, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 06:01 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
First vid, tail heavy and stalled it, you could see its tail was low most of the time and not enough throttle when he turned back into wind, thats why it tip stalled and spun.
He was not using rudder in the turns either from look of it and the Funcub likes rudder.

A spin or deathspiral as you call it, if put into intentionally (low throttle, full up and full rudder and maybe aileron in same direction)
is easy to get out of, just let controls back to neutral add throttle and pull back gently to level flight.

If you go into spin like in first video through error/bad piloting take same actions add throttle and opposite rudder before trying to pull out slowy.
Unfortunately this normally happens close to the deck so will invariably end up with a prang unless motor/prop has enough grunt to pull you straight out of it.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Last edited by Del-Dredd; Jun 16, 2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
RC Airplane (Recently Crashed)
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2011
2,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-Dredd View Post
First vid, tail heavy and stalled it, you could see its tail was low most of the time and not enough throttle when he turned back into wind, thats why it tip stalled and spun.
He was not using rudder in the turns either from look of it and the Funcub likes rudder.

A spin or deathspiral as you call it, if put into intentionally (low throttle, full up and full rudder and maybe aileron in same direction)
is easy to get out of, just let controls back to neutral add throttle and pull back gently to level flight.

If you go into spin like in first video through error/bad piloting take same actions add throttle and opposite rudder before trying to pull out slowy.
Unfortunately this normally happens close to the deck so will invariably end up with a prang unless motor/prop has enough grunt to pull you straight out of it.

Del
Yep ...

On the first video ... also wonder if maybe not enough down thrust as well as it was trying to baloon a bit on throttle. (The combination of tail heavy, low airspeed and lack of down thrust is one that will most often end in tears.)
mutha is online now Find More Posts by mutha
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:49 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined May 2012
97 Posts
what do you mean by lack of down thrust? You mean the motor mounting angle or not enough elevator?

Thanks for replies guys. I might be being a bit paranoid about flight problems, is there much to worry about flying the Fun Cub? I'm not very proficient flying the rudder yet but hoping this plane is fairly forgiving. This plane has much appeal with its slow speed flying capabilities and ability for tricks. I also decided to go beefy/faster with the motor so can fly faster to practice for my Corsair and Rhapsody. I don't think the extra weight should matter.

It seems with the bigger motors and lighter 2200 mah battery the fun cub is nose heavy, is it possible to cut the battery compartment back further, could that help?
Last edited by Matt_flyer; Jun 16, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:26 AM
Joined Mar 2007
44 Posts
Picture I took last week, my brothers Funcub just after a Thunderstorm

Mr. Rob is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Rob
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, WI, Oconomowoc
Joined Feb 2011
266 Posts
Quote:
It seems with the bigger motors and lighter 2200 mah battery the fun cub is nose heavy, is it possible to cut the battery compartment back further, could that help?
Anything's possible Matt, but right now, with all the "nose work" my 2200/2650's sit as far back as I can get them without modding anything. That puts them over the air exit hole... I think If you go into the build with that in mind it could be easier to mod ahead of time... Now some things have changed since my 1st build, and I believe the new tail group, or larger rudder might make it easier to cg at 80... I'm currently at 65 or so with an AUW of 1100G w/o Battery.... hope that helps.
ddog343 is offline Find More Posts by ddog343
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:49 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
As long as you do not get to excessive with heavy motor you will be fine.

Mine has been flying with a Cog between 65 and 70 since built and never had issues in over 200 flights (gave up counting).

Rear of 2200 3cell battery sits nearly level with front edge of vent, I have a small foam wall to stop it.

Motor is Emax BL2815/09 if i remember 920Kv with 12X6.

My brother runs the same setup in his FC as well, flies very well, only need full throttle when doing vertical stuff and not for long even then.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Last edited by Del-Dredd; Jun 16, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:15 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,430 Posts
Mr. Rob - Nice shot! What's he using for lighting? ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Diversion: My Easy Star Hack
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:28 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Hi everyone

At 171 grams the motor is a bit on the heavy side haven't really seen people use a motor that heavy after researching motors. And using 4's is not as common, that should be a rocket ship! The recommended motor here weighs 134 grams http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAAGX

I decided to go the powerful option with a faster motor bit more than 1100 and bit less than 1250 that some people use. The weight of the motor is 141grams. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18120.
For now not certain but a 11x5.5 or a 11x7 prop should be good.
thanks a lot. i will take a look at that motor. funcub on its way!
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
I had a good time wit mine at my club this Wednesday. I took off to the east, perpendicular to our runway, so when I called out "taking off to the east!" and then my cub got into the air in 3 feet the looks on people's faces were priceless. Got a lot of practice inverted in, it was fun to fly in the pattern inverted while a student flying an hbz cub circled below me. Also played with the flaps, and shadowed a micro carbon cub for a while. All in all a great time . And yesterday I flew out of my park with a camera on it,and I got some nice footage of the area.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks