SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:27 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,119 Posts
I have only ever noticed Epoxy of various brands get warm but never hot enough to melt anything.
It probably does depend on the amounts, the chemical reaction starts as soon as mixed by the way, when its like jelly the reaction is mostly over.
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
This topic seems to come up often, I have built 2 funcubs and have helped a friend rebuild his several times, I have only ever used regular medium CA glue just like the directions say to use and have not had any problems and would highly suggest that everyone use it. My friend has used epoxy, Hot glue and who knows what else and I can for sure say CA works and holds the best. This is my my humble opinion based on my limited experience so take if for what is worth.
Beancounter is offline Find More Posts by Beancounter
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:24 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2011
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Are these being shipped with new kits ?

Aeronca
Not in the states yet. I just received mine today - plastic mount. And a warped horizontal tail stab.

Waiting to hear if I need to send it back or if I will just be sent a new stab.
Starving Bushman is offline Find More Posts by Starving Bushman
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Bushman View Post
Not in the states yet. I just received mine today - plastic mount. And a warped horizontal tail stab.

Waiting to hear if I need to send it back or if I will just be sent a new stab.
just put it in some hot water!
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:32 PM
Agricultural flyer
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Aug 2007
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
This topic seems to come up often, I have built 2 funcubs and have helped a friend rebuild his several times, I have only ever used regular medium CA glue just like the directions say to use and have not had any problems and would highly suggest that everyone use it. My friend has used epoxy, Hot glue and who knows what else and I can for sure say CA works and holds the best. This is my my humble opinion based on my limited experience so take if for what is worth.
I agree completely and can see no reason to use anything else. With 3 grades to choose from to give faster or slower setting or gap filling it's perfect for the job.
mixer421 is offline Find More Posts by mixer421
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:38 PM
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2011
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
just put it in some hot water!
I have heard of this trick working. I have never built any kind of plane before and don't want to start with a problem straight out of the box.
Starving Bushman is offline Find More Posts by Starving Bushman
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:49 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
I just got the Fun Cub, floats and recommended Himax 3516-0840 power set up and cant wait to begin building. I want to do a detail yellow cub scheme....

Saw this on Banana's website, airframe only for $99 and has the same wing span as the FC. I wonder if this would be a decent platform as well......
http://www.bananahobby.com/2373.html
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:53 PM
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
My Fun Cub. build.

Fit out:

Servos: Sourced from headsuprc.com
Towerpro 9G SG90 for flaps and ailerons (may or may not equip with flaps from the start... don't plan on using them at all as I come up to speed, however might be easier to build them in from the start)

Towerpro 14G MG90 for Rudder & Elevator
Aluminum Motor Mount upgrade from headsuprc.com (http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ltiplex/Detail)
Esc: Turnigy Plush 40A

Motor: KDA KD36-16M 1050KV (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idproduct=4655) Swinging an APC 12x6 prop (37Amps full throttle with a 3S 2200MAH 30C battery)

Tail Wheel Upgrade: Sullivan 2-6lb

Receiver: Spektrum AR8000

It's my first plane, and is very easy to fly and land (on our club's grass field). Seems to fly with alot of oomph. I very seldom hit full throttle on the cub so the fact that the ESC and motor come down cool is no surprise.

Ended up putting carbon fiber tubing over the linkages to the flaps and Ailerons to stiffen them as they noticably flexed during servo operation.

My build error was cutting the inner tubing for the rudder and elevator too short. That tubing should extend almost the full length of the linkage rod in order to provide needed stiffening for the sections that are not also sheathed by the outer tubing.

Mike
mrc3 is offline Find More Posts by mrc3
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Sep 2007
187 Posts
MRC3's cub will hover with pullout on that set up also .
mflander is offline Find More Posts by mflander
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:14 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Bushman View Post
I have heard of this trick working. I have never built any kind of plane before and don't want to start with a problem straight out of the box.
your options: spend ages getting a replacement from mpx, or just stick it in a tub of hot water for a few minutes. your choice =)
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:18 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,086 Posts
re-post: (no one answered because i posted my question at the beginning of the great epoxy debate. =/ )i am planning to get one of these, and i was wondering if i could use a hobbyking donkey st4010 motor on a 3s with a 12x7 prop on this plane? i have one of those laying around, and need to put it on SOMETHING. it might be a bit heavy, but at over 600 watts, it should have plenty of go! anyway, just wondering if that will work. thanks
Old Jun 13, 2012, 04:26 PM
United States, MN, Maple Grove
Joined Jun 2011
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
re-post: (no one answered because i posted my question at the beginning of the great epoxy debate. =/ )i am planning to get one of these, and i was wondering if i could use a hobbyking donkey st4010 motor on a 3s with a 12x7 prop on this plane? i have one of those laying around, and need to put it on SOMETHING. it might be a bit heavy, but at over 600 watts, it should have plenty of go! anyway, just wondering if that will work. thanks
Not going to work without significant modifications to the frame.

The KD 36-16 with 37MM diameter body barely fit inside the cowl.

I think the only way to get the donkey to work would be to mount it outside the cowl and that will exacerbate the balance issue as it is already a heavier motor.

Mike
mrc3 is offline Find More Posts by mrc3
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:37 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc3 View Post
My build error was cutting the inner tubing for the rudder and elevator too short. That tubing should extend almost the full length of the linkage rod in order to provide needed stiffening for the sections that are not also sheathed by the outer tubing.

Mike
Yup, I did the same mistake. Control surfaces feel a little sloppy when you try to move them by hand because of flex, but it's not that bad and I don't think it will be a problem in the air.
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:19 PM
Chilliwack, BC Canada
Joined Mar 2010
1,092 Posts
Epoxy and glue

I used epoxy fairly liberally with some very light glass cloth inside the motor cavity for reinforcement and had no trouble with heat (and no trouble with vibrations either). I think the heat issue depends a lot on the particular epoxy used. I used a Dremel to route out the motor cavity a bit for clearance before applying the epoxy so the surface was pretty rough. That likely helped it to grip better. I wouldn't use epoxy as a glue on Elapor though.

I used white Lepage PL Premium Ultra (similar to white Gorilla Glue) to glue the fuselage halves together. Worked great, but I did roughen the surfaces first. The only problem with that glue was that it turned yellowish over time.

Truthfully, I don't trust any glue on Elapor without first scraping off that shiny surface. I glued the elevator horn to the elevator with the appropriate CA without any special preparation (just like the instructions said) and it pulled loose in flight taking that surface right off the foam. The Funcub doesn't respond very well with no elevator control. Fortunately that epoxy reinforcement of the nose prevented any obvious damage.

Gord
Gordks is offline Find More Posts by Gordks
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:13 PM
Whad'ya mean over engineered?
United States, CA, Clearlake Oaks
Joined Jul 2011
1,713 Posts
Quote from top of page 10 in your Fun Cub manual -

Important note
This model is not made of styrofoam, and it it is not possible to glue the material using white glue, polyurethane or EPOXY; these adhesives only produce a superficial bond which gives way when stressed. Use medium- viscosity cyano-acrylate glue for all joints...

If you want to - use it, but do so at your own risk! I'm not saying there's no useful applications for epoxy on this model (like Gordks use in the previous post). I would not use it to assemble the model though. I spent about four months looking at this kit (and reading through this forum) before I got up the nerve to CA those fuselage halves togther! (worried about not getting things aligned before the CA kicked off, etc.) Turned out to be the biggest case of worrying about nothing I've ever had - It went together beautifully! ~ Robin
cubcrafter60 is offline Find More Posts by cubcrafter60
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cubcrafter60; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Added comment