HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:54 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
If anything, the make it worse because they make it possible to overtighten the bolts without realizing it, and strip the plastic mounts, because the aluminum motor mount can't strip. The best solution for multiplex would be to fit some threaded metal into the plastic mounts in the nose.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:07 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I dont really see how an alum metal mount helps though

Its the plastic inside cowl that is weak?
May not be for the reason you think, early on it was discovered that when you excellerated too quickly the plastic mount flexed, and if using a 4mm shaft motor you ended up bending a brand new motor shaft, even though it was a ballanced setup because of an severe oscillation due to that flex.
Well that was my experience wich was posted on this thread way back,maybe someone took notice . if so power to them.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:41 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,167 Posts
Well mine flexes too, not sure if it is mount itself or plastic peices inside cowl; ie screws flexing in threads

Mine flexes soo bad bad upwards it opens up the cowl.

Not good!

My motor has 5mm shaft and its prob bent now as well.

I may try a Turnigy g15 950 kv - power 15 equivelant as I have a metal mount on route

Or

Its make a new firewall as those inner plastic pieces are bound fo break
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 12, 2012, 08:59 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
A g10 810kv might be a little better- 140 grams rather than 150, and still a 5mm shaft.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jun 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,167 Posts
I have G10 1100kv on it now

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
A g10 810kv might be a little better- 140 grams rather than 150, and still a 5mm shaft.
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
The Crash King
United States, OH, Richfield
Joined Mar 2010
209 Posts
I read a post in this thread saying that epoxy isn't recommended for Elapor foam. Why is this? Will epoxy still work?
RCDestroyer is offline Find More Posts by RCDestroyer
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
USA, OR, Carlton
Joined Aug 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
I dont really see how an alum metal mount helps though

Its the plastic inside cowl that is weak?
The plastic mount needs friction in the threads to prevent the adjustment screws from backing out. That friction makes it difficult to know when the screws are tight enough. The screws in the metal mount rotate with little friction and can be adjusted to be just snug against the stops without overstressing the plastic parts. Loctite threadlocker can be used between the screws and the metal mount. Make sure not to get Loctite onto the plastic. It makes some plastics brittle.

I changed three things at once: changed to a wood propeller, switched to metal mount, and programmed the speed controller to ramp up slower. Because of that I really don't exactly know what fixed the problem, but the combination has worked great.

Martin
baumerm is offline Find More Posts by baumerm
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:55 AM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,068 Posts
hey guys, i am planning to get one of these, and i was wondering if i could use a hobbyking donkey st4010 motor on a 3s with a 12x7 prop on this plane? i have one of those laying around, and need to put it on SOMETHING. it might be a bit heavy, but at over 600 watts, it should have plenty of go! anyway, just wondering if that will work. thanks
baconflyer is online now Find More Posts by baconflyer
Last edited by baconflyer; Jun 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: nunya!
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:08 AM
Česká republika, Jihomoravský, Brno
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCDestroyer View Post
I read a post in this thread saying that epoxy isn't recommended for Elapor foam. Why is this? Will epoxy still work?
I wouldn't recommend epoxy for any foam. Epoxy generates insane amounts of heat during its curing proccess and easily melts the foam while eating a tunnel through it. Same deal as if you used hot wire to cut it
baui2000 is offline Find More Posts by baui2000
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:20 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
I use epoxy all the time and have never seen "insane" heat or damage. But just to make sure I haven't overlooked something I'll mix and put more than I would normally use on some foam tonight to check it out.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:27 AM
Deutschland, BW, Ebersbach an der Fils
Joined May 2011
338 Posts
Hi,

why not to use epoxy on elapor is cause it dosn´t really stick to the Elapor.
It stick for a while, but when it stops sticking to the elapor it stop quick and easy.

It only stick in the top of Elapor. CA solves the foam a bit and stick realy together with it.
If you stick togehter 2 Elapor parts with epoxy or with foam save CA and you tear apart them you have 2 flat surfaces.
If you do the same with CA (Zacki Elapor) you will ripp of the elapor.

It will work for a while, but not for all the time.
The better connection is CA Glue.

Bernd
morrigan is offline Find More Posts by morrigan
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:30 AM
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Please do, Raften. I know depron doesn't like it, hard to say if Elapor is better suited for use with epoxy. It would be interesting to have the option but I don't really have spare Elapor to try it out.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:20 AM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Ok, glue is setting up over night. A quick check with a IR gun shows no increase in temp. I guess I'm not saying Nay to all this but my glue and foam have never shown any ill effect. I am pretty sure my Multiplex planes are Elapor but I don't think I have ever used Depron. Not trying to argue, just stating my personal experiance. The epoxy I use is almost always Devcon in various setting times.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:19 AM
Joined May 2011
32 Posts
Hmm, that's a bit strange. I use the Devcon S-35 two ton epoxy for high demand connections and it always heats up while it cures. Most heats gets generated during the gel-like stage of the whole process when the chemical reaction kicks in.
From what I can tell, the amount of heat depends a lot on the amount of epoxy, though. Larger amounts of epoxy mixed with glass fiber can melt a PET mixing bowl.

I'm also just curious, definitely not arguing Morrigan has a point, though.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:47 AM
Aus
ʎןɟ inverted ɹǝpunuʍop
Australia, ACT, Amaroo
Joined Jul 2011
1,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baui2000 View Post
Please do, Raften. I know depron doesn't like it, hard to say if Elapor is better suited for use with epoxy. It would be interesting to have the option but I don't really have spare Elapor to try it out.
I use epoxy (mixed with micro-baloons) on Depron and it works great (for the Polaris water plane). I use the BSI brand rebadged and purchased through HK. I suggest you change brands of epoxy.
Aus is offline Find More Posts by Aus
RCG Plus Member